Nesting birds taking up Nest Boxes

We have been living where we are now for over 2 years and every time we pass a little wooded copse near the farm by the Wear. I say to the missus 'Perfect Habitat for little owls that'...

Found them on Thursday afternoon being pestered by Grey Squirrels... Buzzing. :) Sat watching then for ages.

I know of 5 little owl sites in and around the NE (Some I've Photographed very successfully) but never one so close to where I live. I know the farmer too so he may just let me put my pop up hide in the field and take some snaps :)
Post them on here if you do

The seagulls arnt
No leftover kebabs to quander
Our local residents association are paying for a bloke with a Harris Hawk to fly it around and scare the gulls from nesting in the big posh houses.

All it means is they’ll move back into town where they’ve been a massive nuisance for years and the Council paid to chase them out, or they’ll end up plaguing some poorer folks down the way who can’t afford to hire a deterrent.

Nice work for the hawker bloke I guess.

I was sitting in the living room last summer and watched a magpie take blue a tit fledging from the tree where its nest was and eat it on on the neighbour's fence post.

First time I'd ever seen such behaviour.

They are a menace like but incredibly intelligent. Jays are just as bad mind - but far prettier.

They work the hedgerows listening to chicks making a noise then they will wait until it’s clear and destroy the contents.
Always on the look out here. The farmer backing on to our garden always telling me to shoot them :)
Never a problem when I was a lad as kids had air guns to thin them out

Always have mine at the ready.

Last edited:
Saw a dead swan decimated by the river yesterday. Hope it was a fox and not some eejit who had driven to the racecourse’s dog. (Not sure where to put the ‘s in that sentence.)

The last few days with so little background noise I can hear woodpeckers tapping on trees to announce their territory about 1 mile away from my house. There's two in a local wood at it all day long. I haven't spotted (see what I done there) them yet so don't know what species they are.

We've got a mag building a nest currently over the back of us. They don't half make a racket when they get going.

Back