Nesting birds taking up Nest Boxes

What a lovely surprise today. Been watching a pair of Nuthatches going in and out a nest box I built last year. The Blue Tits and Great Tits are already selecting suitable homes.
Little things to cheer you up.
Mind you the Barn Owl box has a pair of Jackdaws throwing sticks into the entrance.
Finished off a Tawny Owl box yesterday and located a suitable tree. Just need my Mate to pull up the rope and hold the ladder and will put it in place, unfortunately I am a little late with this one, however could hear one the other night in the surrounding trees.
Cut the grass and in between listened to the chorus of so many different varieties.
Just a lift today from nature to help me on my way.
Bloody hell all i get to see and hear are gullies and stazis
Keith our pheasant at work does exactly the same. We were chuffed to bits last year when his Mrs, Gillian brought all the kids for a feed
Last year i nearly stood on a female pheasant protecting her chicks she nearly pecked my face off protecting them !!

Last edited:
I saw swallows up in weardale last year in January. I think there's a lot of anecdotal evidence to suggest more and more are overwintering here as the tempratures gradually creep up year by year.

Saw another piece about Blackcaps doing the same and more and more of them using garden bird feeders in winter.
Found one just off the high Street this morning 👍
Logon or register to see this image
Where is that fella?

Last edited:
got a couple of magpies putting a nest together. pretty noisy things. only birds that come to my feeder for some reason.

Back