Nesting birds taking up Nest Boxes

What a lovely surprise today. Been watching a pair of Nuthatches going in and out a nest box I built last year. The Blue Tits and Great Tits are already selecting suitable homes.
Little things to cheer you up.
Mind you the Barn Owl box has a pair of Jackdaws throwing sticks into the entrance.
Finished off a Tawny Owl box yesterday and located a suitable tree. Just need my Mate to pull up the rope and hold the ladder and will put it in place, unfortunately I am a little late with this one, however could hear one the other night in the surrounding trees.
Cut the grass and in between listened to the chorus of so many different varieties.
Just a lift today from nature to help me on my way.

What a lovely surprise today. Been watching a pair of Nuthatches going in and out a nest box I built last year. The Blue Tits and Great Tits are already selecting suitable homes.
Little things to cheer you up.
Mind you the Barn Owl box has a pair of Jackdaws throwing sticks into the entrance.
Finished off a Tawny Owl box yesterday and located a suitable tree. Just need my Mate to pull up the rope and hold the ladder and will put it in place, unfortunately I am a little late with this one, however could hear one the other night in the surrounding trees.
Cut the grass and in between listened to the chorus of so many different varieties.
Just a lift today from nature to help me on my way.

Keep the Magpies out

Keep the Magpies out

Shot one the other day.
The evil of songbirds.
I don't know if it's because we're at home but seen loads more birds here. Feeders in the front and back. The housemartins aren't back yet.

Bit early mate.
The Swallow always arrives before the house martins and Swifts.
Early April and you may see the Swallow.

Last edited:
Got a robin who actually waits for us putting food out. He's there as soon as the front door opens !

Beautiful birds and so tame.
Talking of nature my sister phoned me earlier, took her dog for a walk in the park, dog on the lead, a couple of red deer came over and tried to stamp on the dog 🦌🐕 my sis said the dog was petrified 🐕😳

Wow scary that.

Last edited:
More important than ever to notice this stuff now, and to enjoy it.

Spot on.
I just love watching them from my window.
The feeders and bird table packed with them. The Migratory Warblers will soon be here and the Chiff Chaff, Black Cap and Willow Warbler with their distinctive song only weeks away. We currently have a tame Male Pheasant that visits a few times a day. Sits under the feeders waiting for sunflower kernels dropping down.
The dog growling as he struts up and down the lawn.
Magical watching and listening to them.

Spot on.
I just love watching them from my window.
The feeders and bird table packed with them. The Migratory Warblers will soon be here and the Chiff Chaff, Black Cap and Willow Warbler with their distinctive song only weeks away. We currently have a tame Male Pheasant that visits a few times a day. Sits under the feeders waiting for sunflower kernels dropping down.
The dog growling as he struts up and down the lawn.
Magical watching and listening to them.
Keith our pheasant at work does exactly the same. We were chuffed to bits last year when his Mrs, Gillian brought all the kids for a feed

Evening,
I saw some house martins on Thursday afternoon flying over the river wear at Chester.
Cheers

That is incredible and really early for March.
Never seen a House Martin in March, only Swallows. Used to get Sand Martins where I used to live and they would nest in the banks of the gravel pits.
The Swifts around here are usually the last. Noticed a real decline last year with the House Martins numbers.

Back