Nespresso or Equivalent Machine?

I have a coffee percolator that I'm happy with but I'm addicted to gadgets so want to buy a cheap machine that will make cappuccino. Any recommendations for a one that will take fake capsules/pods?

Yes, I am a cheapskate and not a connoisseur - something hot and milky does me (no offers thanks...).

Try a Dolce Gusto machine for cappuccino and the like. The Nespresso ones are better for expresso though.
Looked at Amazon reviews - only for expresso and not very hot?
Cappuccinos are espresso based though. Neapresso/Lavazza pods and a proper milk frother are infinitely better than the Dolce Gusto and Amore Mio pods in my experience. The powdered milk in the cappuccino pods is rank. You should save the environment and get an espresso machine with steam arm though.

A few years ago, my in-laws got themselves and my brother in law Dolce Gusto pod machines. They offered to buy us one but we refused because we’d bought an espresso machine 3 months earlier. Within a year, they had both got rid of their pod machines and bought espresso machines. None of us drink espresso, we use them to do cappuccinos and lattes.

Last edited:
I use the Nespresso Creatista, it uses the Nespresso pods for the espresso but has a steamer so you can use fresh milk, decent machine if you want to use pods.

I ended up ordering this one which was cheap on Amazon -
If you’re going pods, that’s probably the best type of setup you can get. Convenience of the pods and does the steaming itself rather than having to master the steam arm (although that’s part of the enjoyment for me).

Last edited:
Main problem with the pods is you're limiting yourself to their strength, I like my coffee strong.
Had a Gaggia unit for years but since it packed up I've had a cheaper brand and a Lavazza pod machine. Both a complete waste of money for me and being a cheapskate backfired as they are buried in the cupboard whilst I'm using a bog standard stove top Espresso maker. Back to Gaggia for my next purchase without a doubt.

As Wilfy says, should have got a bean to cup machine.

However Nespresso are the best pod machines. My parents have one and after trying lots of non Nespresso pods they have given up and just get the proper ones now. No point paying £200+ for a machine then drinking inferior coffee to save 10p a cup.

Back