Neil Martin, 80

Remember him well. Often took up a position at the opposite corner of the penalty area at a corner to run in and get his header. It went out of fashion as defenders got into blocking players running, with no foul given , but in this day and age of non-contact and VAR it has surprised me that it has not become popular again.

Neil Martin, who hit 49 goals for SAFC in the mid 60s, had his 80th birthday yesterday. Well remembered by a lot of older fans.
Looks like he was watching Homes Under The Hammer for a birthday treat!
I was devastated when he was sold. If my memory serves me well I think he was sold the day Ian McColl was sacked.

A good centre forward was Neil Martin.
I remember in ‘67 when we stuffed the Mags 3-0 at Scum Park he scored a bullet header from a Len Ashurst diagonal cross in the Leazes End.
That was a great day.
My first away game and remember that goal well, think O'Hare and Mullhall got the other two, we had loads of Scots in our team around that time, Herd, McNab, Hood, Bobby Kerr just breaking into the team and Billy Hughes, we weren't spending a fortune on an academy to bring all of these young players through either. FTM

Excellent player. Happy birthday!
Just googled him. He was playing alongside Duncan McKenzie for Notts Forest during the infamous fa cup 6th round pitch invasion at St James Park!

I was there but hadn't realised it was him.

Last edited:
My first away game and remember that goal well, think O'Hare and Mullhall got the other two, we had loads of Scots in our team around that time, Herd, McNab, Hood, Bobby Kerr just breaking into the team and Billy Hughes, we weren't spending a fortune on an academy to bring all of these young players through either. FTM
Baxter played that day, he ran the show.

Back