Need to bin off 3rd place qualifying.

jimb

Winger
It's encouraging games like last night where both teams aren't bothered about winning and more concerned about not losing. You can forgive it during the knockout before a goal is scored but during the group stage it just makes it an absolute bore fest, we are a quarter of way through and have so far had one slightly enjoyable game.

Didn't Portugal win in 5 years ago by only winning 1 game in 90 mins. It was an easy tournament to forget and so far this one is exactly the same.

Bring back the top two qualify or make the whole tournament a knockout.

Current format at least guarantees something to play for in final games....if you have 3, 4 or 6 points from 2 games you still need a result for group position or to achieve qualification, and even if you have 0, 1 or 2 you can still often qualify with a win.

It would lead to a lot more meaningless final games if just two went through.

If you bring in only the top two qualifying you'd obviously have 12 teams left which wouldn't fit into a knockout stage i.e. you'd need to revert back to a 16/8 team tournament.

If FIFA go ahead with their World Cup every 2 years we might not have the Euros at all.

Last edited:
Current format at least guarantees something to play for in final games....if you have 3, 4 or 6 points from 2 games you still need a result for group position or to achieve qualification, and even if you have 0, 1 or 2 you can still often qualify with a win.

It would lead to a lot more meaningless final games if just two went through.

Group position is shite due the format as well.

If we win the group we'll likely get Portugal or Germany, if we finish 2nd we will probably get Sweden.

I know there's an anomaly with France not being seeded for the draw, but 2nd place shouldn't play another 2nd place.

The 2nd round of games is were teams have got a win already and don’t really need to win them, I expect the final group games to be better, I’m sad that there’s no 3 games a day after today, maybe should put 32 teams in next tournament 😂😂
I was thinking the same thing the other day.
The first game each team plays is often pretty exciting so I'm happy to have more teams. If there was a problem about time they could play a few matches at the same time.
Obviously thered be a few more bad teams getting in but that would be fun imo anyway.

Need to get rid of the nations league. Teams that cannot qualify are being rewarded with the chance to qualify via nations league.

Scotland were in a group with Albania and Israel. They then played Israel again and Serbia in the final.

What incentive is there to improve when you could qualify that via that route.

I’m not having a go at Scotland here, it’s not their problem.

Get that it avoids having loads of teams with nothing to play for in the last game but it's at the cost of really incentivising negative play from everyone but the group top seeds (and to some extent even them) all the way through. Teams want to keep it tight against teams as good as or better than them and take their chances beating the weakest team in the group, and in general losing by a goal to the best team in the group is a broadly good result. A win and a draw makes you near certs to go through and a single win still gives you a decent chance. Been a lot of shocking games this tournament.

3 games a day midweek is too much I think

I started off watching every game but now it’s too much if I’m meant to be logged on and working until 5ish I’ve got the 2pm one on in the background then at some point I need to have my tea etc

a 5pm and an 8pm is better

Saturday and Sunday 3 is alright
I agree with the OP btw

3 games a day midweek is too much I think

I started off watching every game but now it’s too much if I’m meant to be logged on and working until 5ish I’ve got the 2pm one on in the background then at some point I need to have my tea etc

a 5pm and an 8pm is better

Saturday and Sunday 3 is alright
I usually hate international football but feel obliged to watch it. 10 mins in, I realise why I don’t watch it and get back on with my work. Watching games like Austria v North Macedonia is just madness.

Game One: Team A v Team D
Game Two: Team B v Team C
Game Three: Winner G1 v Winner G2 (winner qualifies for knockout round)
Game Four: Loser G1 v Loser G2 (loser eliminated)
Game Five: Loser G3 v Winner G4* (winner qualifies for knockout round, loser eliminated)

*from another group to avoid fixture duplication

2 wins and you qualify for the knockout round
2 defeats and you are eliminated
Thereafter straight knockout

Need to get rid of the nations league. Teams that cannot qualify are being rewarded with the chance to qualify via nations league.

Scotland were in a group with Albania and Israel. They then played Israel again and Serbia in the final.

What incentive is there to improve when you could qualify that via that route.

I’m not having a go at Scotland here, it’s not their problem.

If qualifying groups weren’t seeded then it would be a fairer system,

1?

Did you not enjoy the Netherlandsl Ukraine game? Or either Italy game? Wales 2.0 over what shpuld be superior opposition. Belgium coming from behind against Denmark?
Precisely. Some right whoppers appear out of nowhere just for England games

Watched most the games accompanied by the match threads on here. Couldn't be arsed with some of the cack posted last night and logged off

Last edited:
It's encouraging games like last night where both teams aren't bothered about winning and more concerned about not losing. You can forgive it during the knockout before a goal is scored but during the group stage it just makes it an absolute bore fest, we are a quarter of way through and have so far had one slightly enjoyable game.

Didn't Portugal win in 5 years ago by only winning 1 game in 90 mins. It was an easy tournament to forget and so far this one is exactly the same.

Bring back the top two qualify or make the whole tournament a knockout.
UEFA presidents aren’t gonna get elected reverting back to 16 nation tournaments. It‘s gonna be 32 in 8 years.
If qualifying groups weren’t seeded then it would be a fairer system,
Haway man you’re not daft. Dont say owt like that in Geneva, UEFA would have you locked away for life.
Should go back to 16 team tournament. This extended format is allowing tin pot nations like Scotland and North Macedonia to embarrass themselves on the world stage
That’d mean the current UEFA President being losing out to anyone who promised to retain 24 teams. Mind he’d be out on his arse and replaced anyone who promised 32 nations a place in the finals.

Theres a startling lack of real politik knowledge on here.

Last edited:
1?

Did you not enjoy the Netherlandsl Ukraine game? Or either Italy game? Wales 2.0 over what shpuld be superior opposition. Belgium coming from behind against Denmark?
It's been a really enjoyable tournament tbh. Its weird the amount of people who watch football because it is fashionable without gaining any enjoyment from watching actual games.

Another great game on now.

Back