Nearly a million more young adults now live with parents

I moved out at 24, bought my first house at 25 and now in a 'final' family home at 32 with wife and baby. Work paid for my uni and then I worked away tax free for a few years to make it possible. The younger lads and apprentices I know now are more interested in buying their new BMW, Audis etc. and are more interested in when they can get their next line of coke up their noses!

Nah, buying is cheaper than renting.
Ive never rented & glad ive never done it as id be worse off.

Out of touch?
Didnt you move by choice to an unaffordable area?
Had you stayed in NE you could easily afford somewhere.
Aye but he's not stated anywhere that he wants to buy a house. Seems to be a theme running through this thread that young people should find a bird, buy a house, get her knocked up a few times and spend the next 50 years living just like their parents. Not all young people have fuck off cars, phones or clothes on tick. They just know there's a big world out there that doesn't have to revolve around getting mortgaged up to the hilt when there's all the time in the world for that.

Still live at home, im 25 and my gf is 23. Both enjoy our holidays, trips away, eating out etc. We've been together coming up 8 years, and only recently really seriously started talking about looking for somewhere. We dont have great jobs, but we've both been working hard to improve our work situations, in terms of financially and also with how we feel about going to work. She was massively unhappy at her last job, due to a number of reasons, now has a new job and loves it, been a massive change in her outlook on everything which is great.

Im lucky to know my parents have put money aside to help with deposit, but its the running costs each month that would be the issue for us, so with a few adjustments with our day to day living and spending and hopefully an improvement on wages by this time next year we'll be in or close to being in a house of our own.

If my maths are correct you appear to have been a nonce for a while, y dirty bassa.

Aye but he's not stated anywhere that he wants to buy a house. Seems to be a theme running through this thread that young people should find a bird, buy a house, get her knocked up a few times and spend the next 50 years living just like their parents. Not all young people have fuck off cars, phones or clothes on tick. They just know there's a big world out there that doesn't have to revolve around getting mortgaged up to the hilt when there's all the time in the world for that.
This without a doubt. My lad will change his tact on his life when he is ready - he works damn hard and is enjoying his life whilst at the same time living with us. As said before, it's his choice - some of the comments on this thread are laughable and probably generated by a touch of envy

Cost of a pint was a threepenny bit

There was nowt but fields

Back in the day they were clever:

Instead of buying Easter Eggs they just painted real eggs brown and passed them off as opened creme eggs; rather than buy and run a car they just bought a shell of one and put their feet through the bottom, legging it to work flintstone style; bought one pair of shoes and each year gradually grew more into them; to save on clothes many just breathed in loads of toxic fumes to stunt their growth etc.

Back in the day they were clever:

Instead of buying Easter Eggs they just painted real eggs brown and passed them off as opened creme eggs; rather than buy and run a car they just bought a shell of one and put their feet through the bottom, legging it to work flintstone style; bought one pair of shoes and each year gradually grew more into them etc.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

That's not living thats just existing mate. Owning a house isn't everything - get out and enjoy yourself while you're young
Tbh I’m not one for going out and getting rat arsed every weekend spending £100 a night. I’d rather keep the money and spend the weekend with the other half because we both work during the week and obviously don’t live together (yet). But we’re not gonna rush into getting into debt etc our plan is save save save and when we do eventually move out we know it’ll go smoother than most peoples.

Tbh I’m not one for going out and getting rat arsed every weekend spending £100 a night. I’d rather keep the money and spend the weekend with the other half because we both work during the week and obviously don’t live together (yet). But we’re not gonna rush into getting into debt etc our plan is save save save and when we do eventually move out we know it’ll go smoother than most peoples.

Fair play if you both are happy mind

So you haven’t been ridiculing, for example, people who choose to or have to live in the south by flaunting your cheaper living standards?
Ridiculing and flaunting, ffs what a drama queen you are.

It was actually a decent discussion between me and another poster, then the usual suspects jump in and get all offended whilst the poster I was discussing it with was relaxed about it.

No stigma in driving a 3 year old car
2 quid for 20 tabs
Quid a pint

What about a 16 year old car? :lol:

Really need to get rid like. Absolutely no reason for me not to financially but I’m attached to it :lol:

Ridiculing and flaunting, ffs what a drama queen you are.

It was actually a decent discussion between me and another poster, then the usual suspects jump in and get all offended whilst the poster I was discussing it with was relaxed about it.

Offended :lol:

It was perfectly normal until you came in from the pub pissed tbh.

Last edited:

No but he's complaining about not being able to afford one. If you want to move to London & enjoy yourself when young thats fine. Just dont complain about house prices & rents because youve made that choice.

What about a 16 year old car? :lol:

Really need to get rid like. Absolutely no reason for me not to financially but I’m attached to it :lol:

Offended :lol:

It was perfectly normal until you came in from the pub pissed tbh.
:lol::lol: Living up North marra, cheap drink in the club! Apologies if I acted like a twat.

No but he's complaining about not being able to afford one. If you want to move to London & enjoy yourself when young thats fine. Just dont complain about house prices & rents because youve made that choice.

I've never complained once about not being able to afford to buy a flat in London. I didn't move here to settle down, I moved for the social life, the gigs, the cheap flights, and then because it's where the most interesting work is in my profession. The cost of housing I fully understand and don't mind, that's just the price you pay. It's a short/medium term decision.

I posted the value of my rented flat to show the posters that even the smallest flat will set you back 15x or 20x (and the rest) your annual salary. It wasn't @MackneyHackem giving it the big one about living in a mansion, it was a reflection of the cost of here vs north east.

What the SMB seem to forget is that most young people do not want to live in suburbia nor ex mining villages. Yes I could probably afford somewhere to live in Wheatley Hill but I'd be bored out my skull every day. Not every young person has the latest phone or car on tick either, in fact I don't know a single person like that. You can't keep assuming every lad wants to stay in the north east and live like their parents did.

Back