NE Cases per 100k

Yep. Somebody who's hands have been in contact with the virus picks something up and puts it back down. Shortly after you pick it up and buy it.
Or the basket or shopping trolley is the source of contamination. .
Wash hands, sanitise going in the shop, sanitise coming out and don't touch your face.
Yep. I think a lot don't bother sanitising any more, thinking the mask is enough.
Also distancing is getting worse imo

Looks bad, no wonder the government want to bring it under control

Newcastle which is the worst of that list has 238 cases per 100,000.

That is 23.8 people per 10,000.

2.38 people per thousand.

0.238 people per hundred

0.0238 people per ten people

Your chance of having it is 0.00238

Depends how you display the numbers. Its one person in 420 and it kills around 1% so its likely to kill 1 person in every 42,000 in Newcastle which is the worst case area. 22% lower if you live in Sunderland.

I am not in any way trying to argue its not a threat and that we should not be dealing with it the way we are. I am just trying to make some sense of the numbers. Clearly its horrific if its your loved one who is that 1 in whatever and that's the point. We all have a duty to do our best to protect everyone else, whether they are are our family or someone else's.

Above based on earlier figures on this thread. Clearly its got worse since but the same principles apply.

Last edited:
Newcastle which is the worst of that list has 238 cases per 100,000.

That is 23.8 people per 10,000.

2.38 people per thousand.

0.238 people per hundred

0.0238 people per ten people

Your chance of having it is 0.00238

Depends how you display the numbers. Its one person in 420 and it kills around 1% so its likely to kill 1 person in every 42,000 in Newcastle which is the worst case area. 22% lower if you live in Sunderland.

I am not in any way trying to argue its not a threat and that we should not be dealing with it the way we are. I am just trying to make some sense of the numbers. Clearly its horrific if its your loved one who is that 1 in whatever and that's the point. We all have a duty to do our best to protect everyone else, whether they are are our family or someone else's.

Above based on earlier figures on this thread. Clearly its got worse since but the same principles apply.
That's based on known cases though, let's face it the real figure is totally unavailable.

That's based on known cases though, let's face it the real figure is totally unavailable.

The fact that our death rate per day back in early summer was way higher than it is now yet we are now recording much higher infection rates, shows just how many people must have been infected earlier this year. The problem is we had no testing regime in place then. We are still not testing enough as 'enough' would be everyone.

I think that alone suggests the actual death rate is most probably massively below 1%. Its just that we cant prove it as we dont have the data.

The fact that our death rate per day back in early summer was way higher than it is now yet we are now recording much higher infection rates, shows just how many people must have been infected earlier this year. The problem is we had no testing regime in place then. We are still not testing enough as 'enough' would be everyone.

I think that alone suggests the actual death rate is most probably massively below 1%. Its just that we cant prove it as we dont have the data.
I meant infection rates. No idea about death rates.

I see they've announced a massive 17 beds in intensive care for the RVI. When you could comfortably fit the casualties in a minibus, it makes all the folk having to fold their businesses worthwhile.

Not a f***ing hope

The NE will be level 2 or 3 as a region.

Likely level 3, IMO.

Blame Teesside for that.

they won’t put all north east in based on Teesside - they will be treat separately.
All will be in level 3 though but not because of Teesside figures.
Read somewhere that everywhere above 250 will be tier 3

I see they've announced a massive 17 beds in intensive care for the RVI. When you could comfortably fit the casualties in a minibus, it makes all the folk having to fold their businesses worthwhile.
It seems that improvement in treatments means fewer ICU beds are needed but the Covid and high dependency beds are full.

Good to see coming down, I think we’ll undoubtedly be tier 3 as still way above national average

What's the national average?

I don't think we're way above it at all.

Bristol was tier 1. Now it's above all of Tyne and Wear. 2 places in Kent are now in the top 3 for cases.

The goalposts have moved and our cases per 100,000 have reduced greatly since lockdown.

Back