NC500

strange website that, the route looks great, but what exactly are they trying to sell/advertise? is that route off-road so you need to use off-road vehicles and have permits?

it looks like just a route on public roads?

Land rover hire and some associated tat and that's about it.
They might try to expand to advertise local businesses....accommodation and experiences?.

Top tip : drive across to the west coast, drive up to Durness, or Tongue, turn around and come back via Oban. The east coast is shockingly dull, the north coast worse and the locals are straight out of League of Gentlemen.
When I was there Thurso was grim. It rained all day every day everything and I mean everything is grey. Everyone smokes and it was colder than a cold thing.

We were camping and I would rather have fed my feet into a mincer.

The beaches are nice and I admit things may have changed since I was there.

Top tip : drive across to the west coast, drive up to Durness, or Tongue, turn around and come back via Oban. The east coast is shockingly dull, the north coast worse and the locals are straight out of League of Gentlemen.

Or go as far as Tongue and head down the middle towards loch shin.via Altnaharra...loads of cracking places and quieter.

When I was there Thurso was grim. It rained all day every day everything and I mean everything is grey. Everyone smokes and it was colder than a cold thing.

We were camping and I would rather have fed my feet into a mincer.

The beaches are nice and I admit things may have changed since I was there.

Funny you should mention everyone in Thurso smokes - I've had 2 hotel rooms there in the past, and both times the rooms have been absolutely stinking of tabs. John o' Groates I genuinely reckon is purgatory manifested into reality. Its not even the most northerly place either, Dunnet head takes that, err, honour?

Or go as far as Tongue and head down the middle towards loch shin.via Altnaharra...loads of cracking places and quieter.

Pretty much what I said earlier. I just said head to Lairg (you'll need to go through Altanharra on the way). You can cross the A9 briefly after, head to Nigg and get the smallest car ferry you've seen to Cromarty (might be an idea to check size and weight limits as I imagine it has some)

Back