NBA

LondonMackem

Striker
Anyone else in to their basketball? Expected to see a thread in search similar to the wrestling one, but can't find one.

Cavs fan here, and obviously dissapointed with how last season ended. I feel if we had Irving in against the Warriors we could have made it.
Looking forward to the new season and I feel if we keep the key men fit we'll win the Eastern Conference.

What's everyone else's thoughts for the new season?

Kings fan here - I think we might do better then expected. Maybe miss the play-offs just.

I do expect Rondo and Karl to kick off at each other (Probably end in Karl leaving) and probably Cousins getting fed up too

I'm a Lakers fan. They've had a shit couple of years and I reckon they'll struggle again.Trading Blake and Bynum appears to have been their downfall IMO.

As much as I love Kobe, his salary seems to be stopping them from bringing in another star (Nash's retirement might help). Swaggy P needs to add consistency to his game, and I have no idea who thought it was a good idea to re-sign Metta. On the bright side Randle looks a player.

As far as other teams go, I reckon it's between the Cavs and the Warriors again.

Clippers for me, bench is looking strong this season compared to last, hopefully go all the way this year.

For anyone who is interested look for nbat7 on Facebook, puts up links for full games including pre season ones so got to watch the clippers v warriors today

I'm a Lakers fan. They've had a shit couple of years and I reckon they'll struggle again.Trading Blake and Bynum appears to have been their downfall IMO.

As much as I love Kobe, his salary seems to be stopping them from bringing in another star (Nash's retirement might help). Swaggy P needs to add consistency to his game, and I have no idea who thought it was a good idea to re-sign Metta. On the bright side Randle looks a player.

As far as other teams go, I reckon it's between the Cavs and the Warriors again.

The Nash trade and Kobe's contract are the big problems. Getting rid of Bynum was the right move. He did nothing afterward. Blake is an average player, and there's no reason to have a 35-year-old guard eating minutes on a team that will be awful with or without him - which indeed makes bringing back MWP a mystery. Also, Nick Young sucks. He's 30 years old and has been the same defense-averse, low-percentage gunner his entire career. He's been very consistent his entire career: he's not a good player.

I used to play (badly) in school but I enjoyed it, might try and get back into it. Who televises the games over here now?

The Nash trade and Kobe's contract are the big problems. Getting rid of Bynum was the right move. He did nothing afterward. Blake is an average player, and there's no reason to have a 35-year-old guard eating minutes on a team that will be awful with or without him - which indeed makes bringing back MWP a mystery. Also, Nick Young sucks. He's 30 years old and has been the same defense-averse, low-percentage gunner his entire career. He's been very consistent his entire career: he's not a good player.
It wasn't so much the losing Bynum that annoyed me, it was the desperation to land a "superstar" in Howard through that convoluted trade. Probably mainly in hindsight considering Dwight in purple and gold was a complete disaster. I agree that Bynum didn't have a future at the Lakers.

Disagree re: Blake and Young. Blake was a dependable body off the bench and he wasn't replaced. Young goes through spells of being unplayable then goes back to being rank average. That spell of games around the "it was like my swag rubbed off on everybody" game was outstanding but he doesn't do it often enough.

I also forgot to vent my anger at losing Gasol last year too! He was probably my favourite player!

Disagree re: Blake and Young. Blake was a dependable body off the bench and he wasn't replaced. Young goes through spells of being unplayable then goes back to being rank average. That spell of games around the "it was like my swag rubbed off on everybody" game was outstanding but he doesn't do it often enough.

Blake's a fine player, but the team is going to be bad for several more years. Dependable bench bodies don't make much difference there, especially not at veteran salary levels.

Young sucks. There's no two ways about it. Even counting the hot streaks, his shooting percentage is barely league average most years (from 2 and 3), and he was substantially below average last year. He doesn't rebound, he doesn't generate assists, he is an average defender when he's putting in effort, he can't handle the ball, and he contributes absolutely zero on offense when he doesn't have the ball. He's a good foul shooter but doesn't get to the line much. The stats don't lie: he's not a good player, and the eyeball test matches it. He's had a single season in his entire career in which he's had a PER over 15 (which is league average), In fact, you can make a pretty decent statistical case that he shouldn't even be in the NBA: his VORP is negative or zero every year of his career. The most abundant type of player hanging around the fringes of NBA rosters are shooting guards who score through volume shooting and don't do anything else, which is an exact description of Young. He's Dion Waiters with some LA style tossed in, and maybe not even that good. There's a reason he's spent his entire career save half a season (the Clippers loved him so much that they made no attempt to re-sign him after that) on bad teams.

I watched 4 years of his crap here in DC and was overjoyed when he was gone. Huge waste of talent, and no coincidence that the team got a lot better after he was gone.

Last edited:
Celtics fan. Couldn't believe we made the playoffs last year! Think it'll be back to normal this year, scraping wins while rebuilding. Very happy we got David Lee in though

Have to ask though, Cavs fan? Since when? Lebrons return? (Not judging, just asking).

Celtics fan. Couldn't believe we made the playoffs last year! Think it'll be back to normal this year, scraping wins while rebuilding. Very happy we got David Lee in though

I'm really interested to see how Lee does and how they use him. The league has moved away from that type of player at his position and he spent a year rotting on the bench. Hope he does well - he handled last year very well.

Have to ask though, Cavs fan? Since when? Lebrons return? (Not judging, just asking).
Have supported the Cavs since I got in to the sport around 6 years ago.

In terms of Lebron, the manner in which he walked out on us was brutal. No fans deserve to be treated like that.. We were flying, then he ups and leaves and we drop like a stone. Obviously ecstatic that he has returned, just hope he can get us to a final and we actually go on to win it.

Back