National Holiday

The thought of being in a hotel with the same people you’ve been on a coach with is horrendous. Sitting on the coach waiting for Margaret and Eddie because they forgot their glasses.
I never go on a bus excursion on any holiday. I’d rather get somewhere independently or not go.
We had a shit show getting to the alps. Next time I'll drive. At least the only thing that can fuck up is me or eurotunnel
Last one went on was a bit shit. Had to go to peterlee boro and Leeds to pick up people. Much better when was full at Sunderland and just set off.
Mercedes amg and you choose to go on a bus. Rabbit away here

We had a shit show getting to the alps. Next time I'll drive. At least the only thing that can fuck up is me or eurotunnel
I have mates in Leeds and train is £35 and mega bus I’d £10. The mega bus takes 30 minutes more. I take the bus. Never been late. Any further and I just couldn’t do it.
Beauty of mega bus on a short journey is that there are people going from Edinburgh to Plymouth and it makes your two hours seem a doddle😃

Did turkey and tinsel to Torquay with a mate a few years ago for Plymouth away game. Cracking weekend. Driver was a mag and took a major dislike to us 😂

Sitting on the coach waiting for Margaret and Eddie because they forgot their glasses.

Did one years ago which was the bus to London, going to a show, then free time in London the following day. We were specifically told several times what time we needed to meet the bus as the driver wanted to be clear of London before rush hour started. One couple turned up an hour late because they got mixed up with the times. Ended up getting stuck in the traffic and it look ages to leave London. On route, they decided to cut the evening meal stop into a 15 minute toilet and grab something to eat stop, and said it was fine to bring food to eat on the bus. Said late couple then had the audacity to complain about food smells when people fetched McDonalds onto the bus 😳

Did one years ago which was the bus to London, going to a show, then free time in London the following day. We were specifically told several times what time we needed to meet the bus as the driver wanted to be clear of London before rush hour started. One couple turned up an hour late because they got mixed up with the times. Ended up getting stuck in the traffic and it look ages to leave London. On route, they decided to cut the evening meal stop into a 15 minute toilet and grab something to eat stop, and said it was fine to bring food to eat on the bus. Said late couple then had the audacity to complain about food smells when people fetched McDonalds onto the bus 😳
If it a good deal and kids are involved I would consider it but I’d prefer train and theatre tickets.
Not my cup of tea like getting the bus with a load of scratters to end up in some hovel like Russell Square in London or The Adelphi in Liverpool. Rather fork out for a decent holiday abroad personally but each to their own.
If you are on a tight budget it has its advantages. I like a trip to London and stay around Russell Sq. however, cheap train and a quick stroll from kings X is reason for Russell Sq area

Last edited:
If it a good deal and kids are involved I would consider it but I’d prefer train and theatre tickets.

If you are on a tight budget it has its advantages. I like a trip to London and stay around Russell Sq. however, cheap train and a quick stroll from kings X is reason for Russell Sq area

I like the train better. Going to a concert next year at the O2 and will be booking our own train tickets and a hotel.

The last time I was on a trip bus we were going to the lakes. We had a bottle of home made white wine in our bag in the over head shelf thing.

Long story short, the bottle fell out and hit the woman in front on the head.

Profuse apologies etc etc but it must have knacked and she spent the rest of the journey moaning about us. Completely justified but it did kinda put me off buses (and home made wine).

I have mates in Leeds and train is £35 and mega bus I’d £10. The mega bus takes 30 minutes more. I take the bus. Never been late. Any further and I just couldn’t do it.
Beauty of mega bus on a short journey is that there are people going from Edinburgh to Plymouth and it makes your two hours seem a doddle😃
We did Leeds on the train for £10/15 recently

I used to get the National Express Rapide between London and Sunderland back in the day. They used to market it as a kind of Concorde of the motorways. Quite enjoyed that journey, they used to stick a film on the little telly for the passengers to watch.

Logon or register to see this image

I did the two day Alton Tower one a couple of year back with the then 4yo. The itinerary went something like this

Pick up Sunderland 8am
Then after trailing round the other normal pick up points you got to Alton Towers at 2pm. After three hours in Alton Towers it was another hour drive to you hotel. Literally off the bus get checked in, bags in room them downstairs for food. Up again next day 7.30 or so for breakfast, back on coach I think 9 for hours trip to back to theme park. Full day in there before leaving I think 4pm to travel back home. Think we got back in Sunderland about 9pm. Was cheap enough but never again. Needed a week to get over it :lol:. Thinking back now I'm not sure what possessed me to think it's a good idea. Had better times at Shields with the bairn where you are not queueing hours on end to go on the most basic of rides

Last edited:
I did the two day Alton Tower one a couple of year back with the then 4yo. The itinerary went something like this

Pick up Sunderland 8am
Then after trailing round the other normal pick up points you got to Alton Towers at 2pm. After three hours in Alton Towers it was another hour drive to you hotel. Literally off the bus get checked in, bags in room them downstairs for food. Up again next day 7.30 or so for breakfast, back on coach I think 9 for hours trip to back to theme park. Full day in there before leaving I think 4pm to travel back home. Think we got back in Sunderland about 9pm. Was cheap enough but never again. Needed a week to get over it :lol:. Thinking back now I'm not sure what possessed me to think it's a good idea. Had better times at Shields with the bairn where you are not queueing hours on end to go on the most basic of rides
My ma used to live outside Aix-en-Provence near Marseille. This is before the days of budget airlines, so I used to regularly travel by Eurolines every school/college holiday - return trip for about £80 (Late 90's). National Express from Sunderland into London Victoria, then Eurolines bus down to Marseille - total travel time 1 day 16hrs. How the fuck I endured 3 and a half days bus travel for a week in France I'll never know. Never, ever again.

Back