Naming a RN ship after Sunderland...

Would you support a campaign?

Just a toe in the water but there's a few frigates in the 26/31 city class that's gonna need a name in the next few years and according to one of the Ships Names Committee they're open to suggestions.

My first pitch was that the oldest Trafalgar Square in the country is in Sunderland in recognition of how many people lost their lives in the battle from our town. And they're all commemorated too.

Yes Mr.W of course I would

HMS Pound Shop
HMS Teen Pregnancy

Or, more positive,
HMS Shackleton,
HMS Swan.

I’m amazed they got HMS Ocean up the Wear, I’d assumed it was maybe only 10-12ft deep. Didn’t they stop dredging decades ago?

No mate, the river channel and Corp quay/greenwells are regularly dredged, probs every 3/4 months, usually the dredger works non stop for a couple of days and makes a right racket.
Me granda worked the dredgers in the 80’s down at the port, not relevant st all but thought I would mention it for no reason!

Lovely idea but unlikely unless the new class’s lead ship has a name beginning with S.

We’ve already got the city class destroyers, so naming the new ships after a city seems unlikely.

Not to say they can’t break with convention of course

No mate, the river channel and Corp quay/greenwells are regularly dredged, probs every 3/4 months, usually the dredger works non stop for a couple of days and makes a right racket.
Me granda worked the dredgers in the 80’s down at the port, not relevant st all but thought I would mention it for no reason!

Cheers, marra! Any idea how deep it is at that part of the river? I expect it’d have to be pretty deep to get something like HMS Ocean along it safely!

Back