Naming a RN ship after Sunderland...

True. It'll probably hit a rock and sink before getting out of port though (unless accompanied by HMS Evans).

Perhaps the HMS Collins (made in Wales but the finishing touches applied on Wearside) could move slightly starboard to make sure of a successful passage.

Would you support a campaign?

Just a toe in the water but there's a few frigates in the 26/31 city class that's gonna need a name in the next few years and according to one of the Ships Names Committee they're open to suggestions.

My first pitch was that the oldest Trafalgar Square in the country is in Sunderland in recognition of how many people lost their lives in the battle from our town. And they're all commemorated too.
I would. Great idea Marra.

I thought that mainly merchant vessels were built on the wear? The yards at hebburn were RN?

Irrespective of this it’s insulting that shitholes such as Dudley, pontefract and Merthyr Tydfil all have Royal Navy vessels named after them yet Sunderland has been ignored for 200 years.

We've never really built naval ships on the Wear unless we've been at war. I'm from a shipbuilding family and would like that too but it's never gonna happen.
Me for 6 years,my fatha, grandfatha, 2 uncles, cousins. Would love it to be named after jack crawford but not a lot would get the connection. Imho

Coventry and Sheffield will be two of the stupidly small number they will actually build. The you will have 1-2 Scottish cities, there hasnt been an HMS Portsmouth for a while... I wouldnt be getting your hopes up like...

Back