Name two underrated drummers (Not necessarily the best):

Martin Gilks (Wonder Stuff)
Chris Sharrock (Icicle Works)
the most relentless drummers I’ve seen live

I was in two minds of whether to nominate Gilks on this thread and was interested to see if anyone else would.

Incredible drummer, but was voted "Best drummer in the world" in an NME poll in 1989, so I wondered if he could be classed as "underrated".

Then again, many young folks nowadays probably haven't even heard of him, so yeah, probably worth mentioning.

I'll also chuck in Jason Cooper of The Cure. I'm not a huge fan of their music, but they recorded an album at a studio I used to work in while I was there, and I got a chance to watch him practicing for a while. Bloody hell, that guy can play. Don't know why his drumming for The Cure isn't more complex, because the stuff he does on his own just to stay sharp is unbelievable.

If you can get past the 'Kelly Clarkson' cover choice and the fact that he's not one for the purists, this guy is an incredible showman. Watch last 2 minutes.

Zach Hill, primarily known for his production with Death Grips

Unbelievable drummer. Especially when he was with Hella.

John Stainer - Battles

Last edited:
I was in two minds of whether to nominate Gilks on this thread and was interested to see if anyone else would.

Incredible drummer, but was voted "Best drummer in the world" in an NME poll in 1989, so I wondered if he could be classed as "underrated".

Then again, many young folks nowadays probably haven't even heard of him, so yeah, probably worth mentioning.
I still can’t work out what he’s doing on Ruby Horse. It’s ludicrous.

Agree with @zinedine , Paul Thompson is very good ( backing / session Drummers are usually excellent)

Gibson Lavis ... excellent ( my kind of drummer )

Dave Mattacks ... now a session drummer in USA

Brian Bennett.. (Shadows ) very underrated but technically excellent.

Stu Copeland.. another technically excellent drummer .. both he and B B went one to be Musical Directors/ Composers .

So many backliners , never received the plaudits they deserved.

Ringo Starr: not the best technically but his left handed style on a right handed kit gave the Beatles songs their rhythmic feel. John, Paul or George would come in with a new song and Mr Starkey would almost instantly pick up a beat to it.

Back