Mystery bird carries dog off into the sky

I reckon the first only bird that he ever saw was a seagull and only after he karate chopped it in half.

The Eurasian Eagle Owl can easily pick up a small dog but, as mentioned in the article, if one had escaped we would expect to know. The other thing to consider in this, admittedly tall story, is that both the Tyne & Wear are used as navigation points for migrating birds of prey like Osprey. However an Osprey isn’t really big enough to pick a dog up and the only birds big enough in the UK (Golden Eagle and White Tailed Sea Eagle) are both non-migratory. The fact that everyone was safe and sound and home in time for tea makes it all sound like bullshit to me.
Morning Mr Oddie

Fascinating stuff. I was watching a documentary at the weekend. Towards the end, it showed these long beaked birds actually carrying off people and small dinosaurs.

Could be a pterodactyl.
Bugger you, you bugger.:lol:

The Eurasian Eagle Owl can easily pick up a small dog but, as mentioned in the article, if one had escaped we would expect to know. The other thing to consider in this, admittedly tall story, is that both the Tyne & Wear are used as navigation points for migrating birds of prey like Osprey. However an Osprey isn’t really big enough to pick a dog up and the only birds big enough in the UK (Golden Eagle and White Tailed Sea Eagle) are both non-migratory. The fact that everyone was safe and sound and home in time for tea makes it all sound like bullshit to me.
A few years ago a big owl "stalked" one of my dogs in Herrington Park at about 4am one morning.
Just to be clear, the owl didn't go for my dog but tracked his movements for a good few seconds about 10-15ft above him and I'm convinced was sizing him up then decided he was too big.
I mentioned it to one of the rangers in passing who said a short-eared owl was nesting in the park at that time.

Through a mate of a mate it’s a Facebook post the Echo picked up. One lad was watching his mates dog and put on Facebook that the dog had been picked up by a large bird and taken away, a load of posts later and the Echo picked it up and asked if they could get in touch.

there is a long eared owl at whitburn coastal park at the moment, but it isnt big enough to carry off a dog

I suspect he is just an idiot

Last edited:
This man knows his stuff

A few years ago a big owl "stalked" one of my dogs in Herrington Park at about 4am one morning.
Just to be clear, the owl didn't go for my dog but tracked his movements for a good few seconds about 10-15ft above him and I'm convinced was sizing him up then decided he was too big.
I mentioned it to one of the rangers in passing who said a short-eared owl was nesting in the park at that time.
4am? Dogging? Poaching? Shiney rah lad? Wrangun. Need a bigger lurcher cross marra!

Back