Myanmar/International Teaching Interview Advice

L

Lexingtongue

There's a possibility I might obtain a teaching position at an international school there. Only applied today and already got an interview tomorrow so I'm shitting myself and feel woefully underprepared. I have two main questions:

1) Can any people with international teaching experience give me a few pointers as to what I might expect from the interview tomorrow? Things I might be asked, things they might want to hear? What should I be researching prior to the call?

2) Anyone worked over there and can tell me what it is like? I'd be based in Mandalay if I'm successful.

Any advice massively appreciated.

I assume it's for an English teacher post. I can only think it will be standard interview questions plus some technical ones e.g. managing behaviour, dealing with parents, explaining a grammar point, differentiation etc. I've not worked in an international school but the students will be from wealthy (western?) families so they'll be wanting to know that you're aware of their expectations and can meet them.

I assume it's for an English teacher post. I can only think it will be standard interview questions plus some technical ones e.g. managing behaviour, dealing with parents, explaining a grammar point, differentiation etc. I've not worked in an international school but the students will be from wealthy (western?) families so they'll be wanting to know that you're aware of their expectations and can meet them.
It's an ICT position. KS1 through KS3.

Oh right, then maybe some technical techy questions related to teaching and still stuff like differentiation. Do you know if classes will be streamed and what the range of nationalities of the students will be?
Mix of locals and international, I think. But mostly nationals.

A friends daughter taught English in Vietnam last year and is currently in South Korea doing the same thing. If it helps I could find out but it will take a few days.

There's a possibility I might obtain a teaching position at an international school there. Only applied today and already got an interview tomorrow so I'm shitting myself and feel woefully underprepared. I have two main questions:

1) Can any people with international teaching experience give me a few pointers as to what I might expect from the interview tomorrow? Things I might be asked, things they might want to hear? What should I be researching prior to the call?

2) Anyone worked over there and can tell me what it is like? I'd be based in Mandalay if I'm successful.

Any advice massively appreciated.
I was gonna post "Mandalay is shite" but it's actually not that bad, it's Yangon that was the dullest. Go teach in Bagan instead.

Good work! Get out to Inle Lake and Bagan regularly and you'll be happy. Mandalay's alright. Done any teaching abroad/in Asia before?
Just English teaching but this is actual international school stuff. Be a challenge but I'm excited for it.

Theres going to be an IT skill shortage in Mandalay in a few years time I guess! Poor kids have no chance! ;)
Total agreement. :p

The food is shite in Myanmar (especially compared to their neighbours) unless you love nuts. Nuts, nuts and noodles and more nuts. And a lack of flavour for the most part.
Telling me goats brain biryani is shit? Wounded!

Back