My power rack and weights arrive on the 27th

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWanderer

Striker
After pissing about with the gym on and off for a while I've decided to sack it all off and purchase a power rack with low/lat pulley, 145kg of Olympic barbell and a new bench. Added to that I already have dumbbells and an EZ bar.

My aim is to bulk myself up a bit, and hopefully drop the fat over time by speeding up the metabolism and sorting my diet.

Aiming to train every other day giving at least 48hours rest inbetween routines.

Anyone have any routines already that would fit?

Was thinking doing full bodies including squats, deadlifts, flat bench, bent over row, military press every time I train, then take in turns adding isolation exercises in each day, chest, arms, back, shoulders, legs???

Sounds look you've got a good grasp of what you're doing already, but you could always set it out like:

Workout A

Workout B

& structure it like:

Monday - Workout A

Tuesday - Rest

Wednesday - Workout B

Thursday - Rest

Friday - Workout A

So on...

Titus said:
Sounds look you've got a good grasp of what you're doing already, but you could always set it out like:

Workout A

Workout B

& structure it like:

Monday - Workout A

Tuesday - Rest

Wednesday - Workout B

Thursday - Rest

Friday - Workout A

So on...

This is what I'd do

Can give my 2 pence worth on Monday, on my iPad now and it's awkward

Would appreciate that!

Workout A

Workout B

& structure it like:

Monday - Workout A

Tuesday - Rest

Wednesday - Workout B

Thursday - Rest

Friday - Workout A

So on...

At this stage do you think I should even bother with isolation exercises, or should I just be thinking about compund exercises to build up a good base to move on from?

And also the big question, 5x5, 3x8 or 3x10?

Would appreciate that!

At this stage do you think I should even bother with isolation exercises, or should I just be thinking about compund exercises to build up a good base to move on from?

And also the big question, 5x5, 3x8 or 3x10?

If you're not an 'experienced lifter', then 5x5 with no isolation exercises is what I would recommend. As you mentioned, build a good base and then start to include isolation exericses.

Visit www.davedraper.com
One of the best weight training sites I've used, good guides for the best exercises to bulk up.
As others have stated, isolation exercises are less effective than compound exercises at building size.
As Arnold himself put it, 'as sure as night follows day, get stronger and you will get bigger'
Or summit like that
Also follow @jasonferrugia on twitter, big meathead with good tips

Also the smaller the muscle, the shorter its recovery time is. Legs take longest for muscle ache to go as they are the largest muscle and therefore have more microtears after a session.

Just a thought for planning workouts, cos I can't do squats and deadlifts more than once a week as I'm like the tin man for 4 days after.

One bodypart a day,5 workouts. big muscles first then the smaller ones as the as the week progresses..chest, back, legs, shoulders then arms last..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back