My own photography.

After spending many a time wanting to pick up on this hobby I decided to bite the bullet and start doing some photography rather than sticking to the generic mobile phone stuff like most.

I’ve only been doing this since October 2020 and the main focus was to be on automotive photography with the amount of shows I attend during a calendar year. Given that all of that is on hold due to this pandemic and the fact it’s still winter. I’ve had to find other things to pick up and learn with.

Luckily for me, I’ve had some help along the way as well as being in the right place right time adding to my kit etc.

Anyway, if you’d like to take a moment to check out what I’ve done so far you can have a look on Instagram at the following:

@rjx.media (Automotive)
@rjx.media_ (Mixed Photography)

I was previously using a Canon 100-400mm lens but I was only borrowing it from a friend. I’ve recently purchased the Sigma 150-600mm Sports lens there :)

Was that the 100-400mm L?
If so the i or the ii?
How did you find using it?

Have to say I was pretty shocked at how big, bulky and downright "look at me!" those white IS L lenses are when I went to look at one!

Deleted
Do you have a flickr account or anything like that? I would like to see more of your work, if possible.

No mate, it's just a hobby. I have posted some more pictures on the 'Coronavirus in Lockdown' thread though. 'Didn't want to post more here as it's not my thread. It was just to make the point that it doesn't have to be an expensive hobby to get some decent images.

Last edited:
Was that the 100-400mm L?
If so the i or the ii?
How did you find using it?

Have to say I was pretty shocked at how big, bulky and downright "look at me!" those white IS L lenses are when I went to look at one!
I believe it was the ii from memory.

Yeah it was a bit eyes on me when I was around the local parks with it. Even more nervous knowing it wasn’t even mine so was always on edge :lol:

I believe it was the ii from memory.

Yeah it was a bit eyes on me when I was around the local parks with it. Even more nervous knowing it wasn’t even mine so was always on edge :lol:

:lol:

I can imagine.

I've got some pretty good mid range lenses and a non IS L lens (one of the early ones which is still black) and the images they produce with my EOS 3 film camera and 6D are fantastic, but I know I'm eventually going to have to get a 100-400 L ii.

The only thing putting me off - apart from the absolute kicking I'll get from my partner if she finds out how much it costs even second hand - is the absolutely ridiculous size and colour of them!

:lol:

I can imagine.

I've got some pretty good mid range lenses and a non IS L lens (one of the early ones which is still black) and the images they produce with my EOS 3 film camera and 6D are fantastic, but I know I'm eventually going to have to get a 100-400 L ii.

The only thing putting me off - apart from the absolute kicking I'll get from my partner if she finds out how much it costs even second hand - is the absolutely ridiculous size and colour of them!

Look at me, look at me, I have got a big ’white‘ lens.

If I am honest it puts me off them too, but the L series are generally exceptional lenses.

The way the second hand price holds up isn’t a bad thing as you can always get a lot of your money back, but I am not sure that will convince your partner.

Look at me, look at me, I have got a big ’white‘ lens.

If I am honest it puts me off them too, but the L series are generally exceptional lenses.

The way the second hand price holds up isn’t a bad thing as you can always get a lot of your money back, but I am not sure that will convince your partner.

That's the problem, after buying the positively ancient 100-300mm L and shooting that and seeing what a 30 year old L will do - it's difficult to not lust after the more recent IS ones and forget about the mid range lenses.

And my partner still thinks I'm messing around buying lenses and bodies for around £30...

I've managed to hide the more expensive buys by buying then selling stuff at a profit and letting the money rack up in a PayPal account without her knowing.

That's been okay for one off lenses and bodies costing up to £300 - but there's no way of physically or financially hiding a 'big white' lens costing over a £1000 and taking up half the camera kit bag.

😬

I may need to be 'a bit more honest' and take the hit before I buy.

Back