My Neighbour

The ones that baffle me are those who've decide that the middle of a pandemic would be the ideal time to take up exercise outdoors, having never previously shown the slightest interest.

To be fair staying healthy isnt a bad idea. Most of these people probably never usually have the time, now there bored so trying to focus on something.

Getting in better shape should be encouraged, as long as it is done safely n by the rules.

Quoting directly "The ones that baffle me are those who've decide that the middle of a pandemic would be the ideal time to take up exercise outdoors, having never previously shown the slightest interest." The word outdoors is key here. A lot of people will have gym memberships or, if they're fortunate enough to have them, use their work based facilities to exercise. If those aren't available then they're going to exercise outdoors. For a lot of people, the gym equates to the running machine. If they're on their own and walking, cycling or running then they're exercising.

No the word exercise is key.

I doubt some of them have ever seen the inside of a gym.

To be fair staying healthy isnt a bad idea. Most of these people probably never usually have the time, now there bored so trying to focus on something.

Getting in better shape should be encouraged, as long as it is done safely n by the rules.
This. I was finding that a couple of weeks of working from home, my back was aching, my shoulders aching and just generally feeling a bit crap. I usually cycle to work and I never sit in one place for too long. The kitchen and toilets are a bit of a walk through the building and half my work is in the building next door and up 4 flights of stairs. Yesterday I got an emergency call to go in for half an hour so had a 10 mile round trip cycle. I’ve felt great since.

The ones that baffle me are those who've decide that the middle of a pandemic would be the ideal time to take up exercise outdoors, having never previously shown the slightest interest.

Why? Surely being fit & healthy as possible is an advantage. As Long as they're doing it in remote places where they're not interacting with others it's not really a problem.

I’ve seen people round the front of ours that I’ve never clapped eyes on before, a load more dog walkers and joggers. Since Boris said you’re able to exercise for an hour per day some people seem to have taken this as an order!

We pick the dog up from my mum every day to walk her. Stand at the gate for the dog to run out, when drop her off, she runs in for her diner which she knows is in her bowl. If my mum needs something we drop this off when we take the dog home.

Today, ahead of the good weather I got my mum to open the detached garage so I could get the garden furniture out so she can enjoy the sunshine, she was inside the house while I was doing this.

Have I broken any rules?

Yes.
"Mum" ffs!

Neighbour works for the NHS.

Had her brother round, not observing social distancing chatting with the other neighbour (who is also an NHS trainee)

People are f***ing idiots

I’ve seen people round the front of ours that I’ve never clapped eyes on before, a load more dog walkers and joggers. Since Boris said you’re able to exercise for an hour per day some people seem to have taken this as an order!
Is it not more likely that people's patterns have changed because they are not held to the work/commute timetable? You say dog walkers, so are you suggesting that these dogs never got walked until we were put on lockdown? A lot of people take their dog out very early before the long trip to work, or very late after they get back. Now people are walking at more relaxed times, probably between 08:30 and 6pm when most people would be working or commuting. I'm guessing you are also at home more to notice them.

Most of all, so what? I usually do the early morning walk with my dog, got up yesterday to find my wife already out with him. So I took the dog and kids out to the local very big field around 5pm. There were quite a few people there. A few dog walkers, a couple of families playing ball games. All were well apart (like opposite corners of the field), we stuck to a route which avoided them. We can't have got closer than 30m to anyone else and I'd say most on the field were the same.

Similar for joggers, either times have adjusted or it is replacing other exercise. I was thinking of doing more to replace my football and cycling. 3 mile early morning, avoid people and out for 25 minutes. Is there any harm? Probably better than a 10 mile bike ride which puts me out for longer in more dangerous places (the roads) for a similar calorie burn.

I think some people are desperate to have their curtains twitching pouring scorn on anyone going out. The outside is allowed and is healthy, you just have to be sensible. Most who I have seen are.

Is it not more likely that people's patterns have changed because they are not held to the work/commute timetable? You say dog walkers, so are you suggesting that these dogs never got walked until we were put on lockdown? A lot of people take their dog out very early before the long trip to work, or very late after they get back. Now people are walking at more relaxed times, probably between 08:30 and 6pm when most people would be working or commuting. I'm guessing you are also at home more to notice them.

Most of all, so what? I usually do the early morning walk with my dog, got up yesterday to find my wife already out with him. So I took the dog and kids out to the local very big field around 5pm. There were quite a few people there. A few dog walkers, a couple of families playing ball games. All were well apart (like opposite corners of the field), we stuck to a route which avoided them. We can't have got closer than 30m to anyone else and I'd say most on the field were the same.

Similar for joggers, either times have adjusted or it is replacing other exercise. I was thinking of doing more to replace my football and cycling. 3 mile early morning, avoid people and out for 25 minutes. Is there any harm? Probably better than a 10 mile bike ride which puts me out for longer in more dangerous places (the roads) for a similar calorie burn.

I think some people are desperate to have their curtains twitching pouring scorn on anyone going out. The outside is allowed and is healthy, you just have to be sensible. Most who I have seen are.
most of those people who used dog walkers while at work will be walking dogs themselves. All those with kids who were at school, some will take them out. Many of those people who go jogging/walking/gym before or after work will be going out during the day. Plus someone being at home means they'll see a lot more outside their house.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back