My Name is Doctor O’ Dwyer

She is getting pissed off as she isnt a proper Doctor. She is a PhD. She has the title but isnt what most people think of when you say doctor. Personally I am happier if people dont know I am a doctor on a flight as getting called up for medical problems is a bit of a nightmare. Most of my colleagues couldnt care less if they get called doctor or not.

Also interesting how in the article someone complains of lack of respect not being called doctor and refers to Cabin Crew as trolley dollies

She is getting pissed off as she isnt a proper Doctor. She is a PhD. She has the title but isnt what most people think of when you say doctor. Personally I am happier if people dont know I am a doctor on a flight as getting called up for medical problems is a bit of a nightmare. Most of my colleagues couldnt care less if they get called doctor or not.

Also interesting how in the article someone complains of lack of respect not being called doctor and refers to Cabin Crew as trolley dollies
You would rather people not know your a doctor incase there is a medical problem on an airplane?

Are you for f***ing real?

Think I've only ever been referred to as Dr once on a flight and that's despite having it on both my passport and ticket as well as usually being shown to my seat by the cabin manager. Nothing about sexism it's just they are busy doing an extremely difficult job loading 300 people onto an aircraft in a very short space of time. I agree with Rich it's a nightmare when they know your medical as I get called up in about half of flights and get asked to make high stakes decisions about diversions.

You would rather people not know your a doctor incase there is a medical problem on an airplane?

Are you for f***ing real?

It's a very difficult position to be in. There really is very little you can do at 40000 feet and the medical kit they keep on board is pretty minimal. If you become seriously ill mid flight your odds of surviving are very poor. I usually take a bag of medicines with me in my carry on to cover a range of situations but apart from administering gaviscon, aspirin or decompressing a collapsed lung there is not much you can do. When you are flying over nova scotia and the pilot tells you there is a 5 min window to request a diversion before you cross the Atlantic that's not something they teach you to deal with at medical school.

It's a very difficult position to be in. There really is very little you can do at 40000 feet and the medical kit they keep on board is pretty minimal. If you become seriously ill mid flight your odds of surviving are very poor. I usually take a bag of medicines with me in my carry on to cover a range of situations but apart from administering gaviscon, aspirin or decompressing a collapsed lung there is not much you can do. When you are flying over nova scotia and the pilot tells you there is a 5 min window to request a diversion before you cross the Atlantic that's not something they teach you to deal with at medical school.
I understand that dr, but surely you would never shirk that responsibility? You lot are the clever people of the world.

I understand that dr, but surely you would never shirk that responsibility? You lot are the clever people of the world.

No I always offer as soon as the call goes out. Usually its just something like indigestion or nausea but it's deeply unpleasant flying for 4 hrs with someone with chest pain not having an ECG to make sure they are not having a heart attack. Its even more difficult now as I see very few patients and don't practice acute medicine in my day to day work so I send the wife first who still does.

Back