My lovely loony-tune ex

Status
Not open for further replies.
I worked in PAYE/SA for over ten years. Unless you were registered as a director/partner of her company then any debt is all hers regardless of living arrangements or relationship status. Tell her to f**k off out your face the cheeky mare, she's trying to con you :evil:

If you transfer me your money mate the taxman won't know you have it and you won't get fined.

I've PMd you my details.
Blimey what a pal. You couldn't help me out could you old boy? I would of course need to have all of all of your bank details in order to transfer my cash that is currently held in the National Bank of Nigeria in to your account. ;)

Reactions: mux
Oh no I'm not :cool:

The term "common-law marriage" has been used in England and Wales to refer to unmarried, cohabiting heterosexual relationships. However, this is merely a social usage. The term does not confer on cohabiting parties any of the rights or obligations enjoyed by spouses or civil partners.

Bit early for panto, isn't it?

Basically the story goes....

Me and my ex were together 2007-2013. She was a dog breeder and in the time that I knew her, didn't pay a single penny in income tax. We lived together for the last 3 of those years but were never married and she lived in my house where I paid all bills and she gave me a few quid. Anyway, fast forward to now.... I get a lovely email from her, basically she's been done for tax evasion and has a hefty bill to pay, which strangely she thinks I'm also liable for. In my time with her, I had a normal job paying normal taxes, what she did was her business as far as I'm concerned. So is it me, or is she f***ing crackers ???

She’s mental.

Hope this helps

I worked in PAYE/SA for over ten years. Unless you were registered as a director/partner of her company then any debt is all hers regardless of living arrangements or relationship status. Tell her to f**k off out your face the cheeky mare, she's trying to con you :evil:
Yet again.
If there was a proper company, with directors and all that jazz, then totally 100% correct.

If it operated totally under the radar as a cash in hand business, there's nothing whatsoever to prove what the business really was, how the money was handled, who did what work and who benefited.
Its a totally different situation from saying "he wasn't on the books, therefore not his problem". It won't take much to convince HMRC to go after him too - same house, shared household costs, share bank accounts etc.
At the bare minimum, he knew the money in her purse hadn't been through the proper taxation process, and he obviously shared bills etc with her - so he is potentially liable. Not saying it WILL happen, but to say "its impossible to happen" is incorrect.

Yet again.
If there was a proper company, with directors and all that jazz, then totally 100% correct.

If it operated totally under the radar as a cash in hand business, there's nothing whatsoever to prove what the business really was, how the money was handled, who did what work and who benefited.
Its a totally different situation from saying "he wasn't on the books, therefore not his problem". It won't take much to convince HMRC to go after him too - same house, shared household costs, share bank accounts etc.
At the bare minimum, he knew the money in her purse hadn't been through the proper taxation process, and he obviously shared bills etc with her - so he is potentially liable. Not saying it WILL happen, but to say "its impossible to happen" is incorrect.

If he was working and was PAYE during that time, I doubt they'll look at him.

Shared costs etc are irrelevant.

If he can account for the money that came into his account, there's nothing more they'll look at IMO. They have their target.

Basically the story goes....

Me and my ex were together 2007-2013. She was a dog breeder and in the time that I knew her, didn't pay a single penny in income tax. We lived together for the last 3 of those years but were never married and she lived in my house where I paid all bills and she gave me a few quid. Anyway, fast forward to now.... I get a lovely email from her, basically she's been done for tax evasion and has a hefty bill to pay, which strangely she thinks I'm also liable for. In my time with her, I had a normal job paying normal taxes, what she did was her business as far as I'm concerned. So is it me, or is she f***ing crackers ???

Trying to get you to stump up some, cheeky bitch.

If he was working and was PAYE during that time, I doubt they'll look at him.
Shared costs etc are irrelevant.
If he can account for the money that came into his account, there's nothing more they'll look at IMO. They have their target.
This is what I'm getting at - If I'm understanding correctly, there was no "business" at all - it was all under the radar, total cash in hand job, with no paper trail whatsoever.

It'll be nearly impossible to prove that he didn't benefit from that cash. And its also likely she can't afford what HMRC are asking for, and they'll want their money - add in that he knew fine well fraudulent monies were being made, and they spent that money together.......

Just talking about possibilities here

But if there's any paperwork at all, then he's safe.

Last edited:
Likewise, how can they prove he did have anything to do with the business considering there is no evidence, just some lass who said so.

If it's that easy, I'll just tell them you are involved in my business and you'll be paying half my tax bill. Is that ok? ;)

That’s easy. If the dogs are pedigree, which I assume they are, they will be registered at the kennel Club. He needs to check which address they were registered from. If it was his, then there is a clear link back to him.

This is what I'm getting at - If I'm understanding correctly, there was no "business" at all - it was all under the radar, total cash in hand job, with no paper trail whatsoever.

It'll be nearly impossible to prove that he didn't benefit from that cash. And its also likely she can't afford what HMRC are asking for, and they'll want their money - add in that he knew fine well fraudulent monies were being made, and they spent that money together.......

Just talking about possibilities here

But if there's any paperwork at all, then he's safe.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but surely the onus is on the HMRC to prove that he did benefit from any cash, rather than him having to prove that he didn’t?

This is the revenue mate :lol:

I know, but they should comply with the basic principle of British law which is that you are presumed innocent until proved guilty.

It’s like someone calling the HMRC up and lying to them by saying I’ve been doing fiddle work alongside my normal tax paying job. How am I meant to prove something that they say happened, but didn’t actually happen?

It'll be nearly impossible to prove that he didn't benefit from that cash.

The way I'm looking at it is, the lass has moved in and they've agreed that she should pay £x towards the living costs. She's presumably paid him the money as and when due.

He could argue that he knew she was working and had an income that allowed her to pay him this money. It shouldn't be his fault that he didn't go through her business records and find out if she was paying the correct tax before handing her share of the costs over. It's not the kind of thing you check out when you start seeing someone.

The way I'm looking at it is, the lass has moved in and they've agreed that she should pay £x towards the living costs. She's presumably paid him the money as and when due.

He could argue that he knew she was working and had an income that allowed her to pay him this money. It shouldn't be his fault that he didn't go through her business records and find out if she was paying the correct tax before handing her share of the costs over. It's not the kind of thing you check out when you start seeing someone.
When you've set up house with someone, and you're living as "common law married couple", you know if your better half's job is a total fiddle job though.
And if your money, and their money, end up in a joint pot (be it a bank account, paying the bills, going on holiday, buying food), then the waters are muddied.
If HMRC can't get their money from her, they might see the other person as culpable. Shame there's nobody on here that actually KNOWS rather than guessing :lol:

When you've set up house with someone, and you're living as "common law married couple", you know if your better half's job is a total fiddle job though.
And if your money, and their money, end up in a joint pot (be it a bank account, paying the bills, going on holiday, buying food), then the waters are muddied.
If HMRC can't get their money from her, they might see the other person as culpable. Shame there's nobody on here that actually KNOWS rather than guessing :lol:
Unless HMRC can prove that he was involved in the running of the business and had some control over it (not just walking a dog now and again) then they can't establish liability. My other half (no) does occasional work for me, but just because she does that and lives with me doesn't mean she has any liability for my tax or NI contributions, even if I don't bother paying tax or submitting a return. She's got no control over the running of my business, therefore she can never have my liability passed onto her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back