Muslim Prayer Call

L

Lexingtongue

Anyone else been unfortunate enough to live in an area where this intrusive nuisance affects you adversely? Wakes me up every morning and drowns out everything else twice each evening. No idea why it has to go on for so long. So, so irritating.

Where’s this? It’s awful like
Mandalay in Burma. Only I could be foolish enough to move into an area right next to a mosque with loudspeakers in a Buddhist country. It really is awful, though. Why it goes on for five whole minutes is beyond me. Tone deaf anarl.

Mandalay in Burma. Only I could be foolish enough to move into an area right next to a mosque with loudspeakers in a Buddhist country. It really is awful, though. Why it goes on for five whole minutes is beyond me. Tone deaf anarl.
I don’t get why they use loudspeakers. It’s supposed to be a rooted in tradition isn’t it? Pretty sure loudspeakers weren’t about a few years ago.

I don’t get why they use loudspeakers. It’s supposed to be a rooted in tradition isn’t it? Pretty sure loudspeakers weren’t about a few years ago.
I've no idea, mate. The Burmese think nothing of making bothersome noise, like. The nearby Buddhist temple recently played the entire teachings of Buddha in one go. It went on unbroken for six days.

No but I've been to Turkey and some people in the hotel were complaining about it saying the mosque should consider people on holiday and not play it :lol::lol:
Fair point. Have some consideration imo

I've no idea, mate. The Burmese think nothing of making bothersome noise, like. The nearby Buddhist temple recently played the entire teachings of Buddha in one go. It went on unbroken for six days.
f***ing hell :lol:

I think the call to prayer sounds fantastic. Was in Penang a long time ago and could hear it. Luckily I could turn over and go back to kip when they had finished.
My housemate lived in Oman and says the mullahs there were very tuneful. This is the same shitty recording every day and it is horrendous.

I can't speak for the call of prayer but the christians can be just as annoying.

When I used to stay in reading about 7ish to 9pm once a week church bell ringers would practice and then in the lead up to a competition it would be every night. Triple glazing wouldn't keep that shit out.

It sounds very evocative in places like Egypt, seems appropriate to the desert location etc. Less appropriate in the UK though and pretty intrusive into our traditional environment and ambience. It seems odd to me that it is allowed. If I blared religious chants out of my bedroom at 1000 watts of power every morning and evening I'd quickly be hauled off.

Back