Mushrooms/Funghi

I remember watching 999 (Michael Burke) in the 90's, this old couple went foraging for mushrooms. They get home, scran some of the mushrooms, and absolutely loose the plot. They basically poisoned themselves, started tripping, hoying up, shitting themselves. A concerned neighbor found them days later, wandering around their wrecked house in the nip.

I remember watching 999 (Michael Burke) in the 90's, this old couple went foraging for mushrooms. They get home, scran some of the mushrooms, and absolutely loose the plot. They basically poisoned themselves, started tripping, hoying up, shitting themselves. A concerned neighbor found them days later, wandering around their wrecked house in the nip.

The bloke who wrote The Horse Wisperer almost managed to accidently kill himself, his wife and some other relatives by dishing up poisonous mushrooms.

I bet they had shitake afterwards

Thought they were poisonous?

The idea of picking the wrong one and dying puts me off foraging.

Think I’m right in saying there’s only one species in the UK which is actually likely to kill you, and it almost invariably grows in Oak forests so should be easier to identify.

Helpfully named ‘Death Cap’.

Think I’m right in saying there’s only one species in the UK which is actually likely to kill you, and it almost invariably grows in Oak forests so should be easier to identify.

Helpfully named ‘Death Cap’.

Had a look, seems there's definitely more than one.

Probably best you don't got foraging for a bit!

They are, but not if you eat a slice- then you get off ya lips.

They're more than slightly hallucinogenic mind.

They are not like..they contain musimol.need at least 20g dried weight even then it's pot luck...so many variables.

Psilocybin containing mushrooms on the other hand..lol

Had a look, seems there's definitely more than one.

Probably best you don't got foraging for a bit!

The death caps accounts for most deaths as it's easily mistaken for something edible.

Last edited:
Is that part of the membership? Up Gibside regularly so might give that a whirl.
yeah, it was ranger guided and you they cook them up at the end, so you get to taste them if they pick some strange ones

they tend to start them in september at gibside and they do them in october at wallington

Last edited:

Back