Mr Donald, please move the away fans back to the South Stand

IMO in doing it you have to keep them close to the areas of the ground that try to contribute the most to the atmosphere, South Stand and South west Corner.

This means either putting them in the family corner, or alternatively putting them right in the middle of the south stand and relocating the South Stand to the corner therefore having the away fans 'penned in' from both sides

Splitting up the only part of the ground that makes some noise now would not help the atmosphere at all.

Most clubs have moved away sections from behind the goal to corners for a reason. We moved the away fans for a reason.

What reason are you thinking? Only reason given at the time was to gain an advantage over the opposition.

Move them into the North East corner.
It's crap with them up a height.

It is totally crap having them up a height. Even when concourse is open the away fans are still isolated.

The SOL atmosphere used to be class.

Agree with the op. Current set up is a shambles. Away fans should be at ground level and our singing section should be North stand. Players currently run to the North Stand where the only noise comes from the away fans. There's also zero crack between the home and away fans which is shit

Great point about the players runnin out to north stand. Absolutely bizarre that imo.

When teams like Burton and Accrington come with a few hundred fans, it looks absolutely shit with all the empty seats. The atmosphere was no better before, the problem is, we're not scoring enough goals and the fans in the "singing section" can't be arsed to chant.

We've scored 47 goals this season. Only Doncaster (49) and Luton (50) have scored more. I didn't look at the home / away breakdown tbf

Last edited:
What reason are you thinking? Only reason given at the time was to gain an advantage over the opposition.
That the atmosphere generated by home support was crap. And perhaps more importantly when teams brought 3k they would invariably drown out any noise we could make.

I'm all up for doing something to improve the atmosphere but think all this would do is make the away support more vocal in the stadium.

It is totally crap having them up a height. Even when concourse is open the away fans are still isolated.

The SOL atmosphere used to be class.

Great point about the players runnin out to north stand. Absolutely bizarre that imo.
They must love attacking the North Stand pressing for a winner with 4k away fans singing about Adam Johnson and Sunderland being a shit hole :lol:

The atmosphere has been spot on some games, like v Charlton, and we didn't play particularly good. Nothing to do with the away fans, the atmosphere is a reaction of what happens on the pitch, if we're getting stuck in riding out a storm, or got a team on the rack, or playing really good and scoring and pressurising, it all gets the crowd and atmosphere going. Sadly we've not had a lot of this in recent games, just in pockets.

When teams like Burton and Accrington come with a few hundred fans, it looks absolutely shit with all the empty seats. The atmosphere was no better before, the problem is, we're not scoring enough goals and the fans in the "singing section" can't be arsed to chant.
other bits of the ground would look fuller as your bringing 1 to 2k into the lower bowl

That the atmosphere generated by home support was crap. And perhaps more importantly when teams brought 3k they would invariably drown out any noise we could make.

I'm all up for doing something to improve the atmosphere but think all this would do is make the away support more vocal in the stadium.

Mate the away fans are isolated and the SOL atmosphere is totally ruined as it is. They need moved back to the lower bowl. We killed the atmosphere by moving them up there.

I understand the argument but if you move them into the Roker End you surely just break up the part of our our crowd with the loudest support. At least people know now that if they want to be part of a vocal end that stands and chants and what not that's where you get a season ticket. Not saying other parts don't or shouldn't be expected to contribute but you know what I mean.

I'd argue it'd hand an advantage to the opposition with, at best, no positive impact on our own atmosphere and at worst a negative impact.

I understand the argument but if you move them into the Roker End you surely just break up the part of our our crowd with the loudest support. At least people know now that if they want to be part of a vocal end that stands and chants and what not that's where you get a season ticket. Not saying other parts don't or shouldn't be expected to contribute but you know what I mean.

I'd argue it'd hand an advantage to the opposition with, at best, no positive impact on our own atmosphere and at worst a negative impact.
South west corner was louder IMHO.

Back