Mr Donald, please move the away fans back to the South Stand

Are the special European nights at Anfield mainly about the atmosphere coming from the Anfield Road end, whee the away fans are, or the opposite end of the ground?

Like i say whether you like it or not that's football culture. If more people had your mindset the ground would be loud but we've had 6 years to prove it isn't unless we're winning in a big game.

Said nowt about abusing Away fans anyway.

We have been atrocious during those years though. Can you think of many better atmospheres at the SoL that were better than the Chelsea or Everton games under Allardyce?

If you did this, you'd have to open the concourse to find a place for everyone you displace.

Then you'd have people who've been moved from the concourse annoyed and moving back. Then consider the empty seats in half the away games, an you'd basically end up with a half empty stadium.

Sorry but i think that is bollocks. I go to support Sunderland, not abuse away fans. Why don't we just give the away fans the keys to stadium, hand them 3 points, let them in for free and suck them off one by one on the way out . Atmosphere will be electric. Marching on together and all that. I'll have to learn the words

This. Supporters are supposed to backing the team. Not sure points will pick up because a few thousand are asking the away fans where they parked their mini bus.

As I said, strange how the North stand has remained a morgue. I thought it'd be class now the away fans have been moved there.

do you think its only a coincidence that the last 6 years have been utter dirge on the field? can't you see the link between winning only a handful of home games over a 3 year period and the atmosphere at home being relatively poor?

i know one thing for sure, no matter how bad the 3 or 4 seasons previous to this one had been, they would have been significantly worse if every away team who came up and took the piss out of us on the pitch got to have their fans in our faces taking the piss out of us.

i honestly don't get why any sunderland fan would want to give the away team any advantage whatsover. we find it difficult enough as it is to win at home. when we do start winning, the atmosphere will improve, and having sunderland fans pitch side on all 4 sides will be to the detriment of away teams.

also, i disagree with the bit about it being 'football culture'. we can still sing and shout at the away fans and team from the lower bowl. the fulwell end, anfield kop, kippax, stretford end, etc.. weren't famed for being the home end because they were adjacent to the away section. in fact in most cases, traditionally, the home end was at the opposite end of the ground from the away section. so not sure how its 'part of football culture'

You've took every argument apart their mind.

We're winning this year and it's still quieter than the 15/19 point seasons.

Because its league one and against teams many of supporters expect us to scud.

It's coming across as if you'd prefer us losing but with a better atmosphere (even if it's from the away fans) here marra.

Last edited:
NWC concourse is not big enough mate.

Much difference in size to the other concourse areas? I know there’s that concrete wall blocking off the north stand concourse but the setup is the same in the South Stand with no access to the south west concourse. I’m probably over simplifying it as well but I’m guessing the concourse on that side of the ground would be easier to extend outwards as you’ve already got the walls of the west stand back there creating that sheltered bit between the lower tier walls and upper tier walls whereas around the east and south side of the ground you don’t have that.

The atmosphere is crap partly due to the amount of people who go to the match and sit on their phones on social media etc, the amount that do it around me is ridiculous. Go to the match to watch the match and get behind your team!

That's it 100% really.

Not just confined to us, go to 90% of PL or football league grounds and the biggest reason there is no atmosphere made by the home fans is because they are glued to their phones.

As I've said previously in the thread, sticking the away fans up high and out of the way is the right place to put them imo. There's zero evidence from our all time SOL stats that having them in the south stand helps us perform better. Having them there when we have been through periods of us being sh1te is just a licence for them to take the piss right in our faces, and having blocks of empty seats between them and the home fans in the SEC and SWC in the past has looked absolutely crap on TV, made even worse when they used to hoy them crappy flags/covers over the seats. If they are loud enough, they'll easily make a racket from the North Upper.

The Away fans dominate the SOL now more than they ever have. They make noise regardless as it's their big day out. Whether you like it or not our support need them to spark them unless we're winning.

They don't like. I stand in the South stand or at the back of east stand on the centre line and they don't dominate at all. From the South stand you can barely hear them, from the east stand its probably 50/50 or 60/40 depending on the score what you can hear from the SS or away fans. Some followings are naturally louder than others. Imagine if you sit in the North end of the ground then yes, you will hear 90% of the away fans chanting and maybe 10% of South stand.

With the current set up, if we ever have a molecule of success on the pitch, the SOL will be a horrible place for away team players. You are advocating taking that advantage away. Or even blaming our lack of success on the fact the away fans are miles away from the pitch. It's bizarre

Watching teams like Shrewsbury and Luton piss about timewasting for 20, 30 minutes is enough to suck the life out of any game. Some of the goalkeepers we've seen this season must have chronic back pain the amount of time it takes them to pick the ball up off the floor.

They don't like. I stand in the South stand or at the back of east stand on the centre line and they don't dominate at all. From the South stand you can barely hear them, from the east stand its probably 50/50 or 60/40 depending on the score what you can hear from the SS or away fans. Some followings are naturally louder than others. Imagine if you sit in the North end of the ground then yes, you will hear 90% of the away fans chanting and maybe 10% of South stand.

With the current set up, if we ever have a molecule of success on the pitch, the SOL will be a horrible place for away team players. You are advocating taking that advantage away. Or even blaming our lack of success on the fact the away fans are miles away from the pitch. It's bizarre

Agree with bits of what you say there but they key bit is the last para. We need success/ to be winning otherwise the place is a morgue under the current set up. The 'banter' with Away fans used to get our lot going whatever the score.

Anyway we're never gonna change each other's mind here and probably both bored of it so I'll retire from this one now ;).

Remember the filth almost spilling onto the pitch to celebrate with them when Dabizaz scored. Fuck that. Fuck them. And fuck all other away supporters.

f***ing exactly. Fuck the lot of them

Agree with bits of what you say there but they key bit is the last para. We need success/ to be winning otherwise the place is a morgue under the current set up. The 'banter' with Away fans used to get our lot going whatever the score.

Anyway we're never gonna change each other's mind here and probably both bored of it so I'll retire from this one now ;).

Ah well. I win

The one thing clear with this is that opinion is split on what should be done. Most probably agree the atmosphere could improve.

So the only thing I can think of which will obviously have everyones backing, and which will improve things, is to introduce a drum to the south stand.

The SWC was canny, but completely limited to 2 thousand as it was flanked by the away end and West stand posh seats. The away fans could easily outsing it if they had decent numbers (man united used to regularly). I had a ST at the back of SWC for years , and enjoyed it, but always wanted a bigger section. The South stand arrangemt in 10 times better than the SWC could ever be on its own. We now have a standing/ singing section of a about 3-5000. Why would anyone want to cut that down .

I realise the comparison sounds nonsense, but so would this if the away fans had been in the North upper from day 1 and the South stand originally was the 'home end '

Because its shit. Atmosphere is shit. SWC was far louder with less people.

It didnt help that when the away fans were moved, a lot of people from the north stand moved to the south to keep the same kind of view, but not to necessarily partake in singing/creating an atmosphere

Well ask them people to go back to the SWC.

Half the people around me in SWC never left. All that happened was the singers were split up and rest of South Stand was filled with fannies who want to be part of the singin end but dont want tp contribute to it. No one can deny just how shit the atmosphere is.

SWC is gone. I moved to SS like many others who had been in years. the club arent going to kick the people out of their seats who now sit there to allow us back. if the away fans went back to SS the atmosphere would be even worse

This. Supporters are supposed to backing the team. Not sure points will pick up because a few thousand are asking the away fans where they parked their mini bus.

As I said, strange how the North stand has remained a morgue. I thought it'd be class now the away fans have been moved there.

You've took every argument apart their mind.

Because its league one and against teams many of supporters expect us to scud.

It's coming across as if you'd prefer us losing but with a better atmosphere (even if it's from the away fans) here marra.
There’s pockets in the North Stand try to get it going but the rest don’t join in
Only time I’ve heard it decent this season was Charlton game

Back