Mr Donald, please move the away fans back to the South Stand

do you think its only a coincidence that the last 6 years have been utter dirge on the field? can't you see the link between winning only a handful of home games over a 3 year period and the atmosphere at home being relatively poor?

i know one thing for sure, no matter how bad the 3 or 4 seasons previous to this one had been, they would have been significantly worse if every away team who came up and took the piss out of us on the pitch got to have their fans in our faces taking the piss out of us.

i honestly don't get why any sunderland fan would want to give the away team any advantage whatsover. we find it difficult enough as it is to win at home. when we do start winning, the atmosphere will improve, and having sunderland fans pitch side on all 4 sides will be to the detriment of away teams.

also, i disagree with the bit about it being 'football culture'. we can still sing and shout at the away fans and team from the lower bowl. the fulwell end, anfield kop, kippax, stretford end, etc.. weren't famed for being the home end because they were adjacent to the away section. in fact in most cases, traditionally, the home end was at the opposite end of the ground from the away section. so not sure how its 'part of football culture'

The Main Stand Roker Wing was louder than the FE during the 90s. Kippax was by Away fans.

We're winning this year and it's still quieter than the 15/19 point seasons.

The Main Stand Roker Wing was louder than the FE during the 90s. Kippax was by Away fans.

i'd rather a quieter ground to the sound of sunderland fans, than a louder ground to sound of away fans.

Whether you like it or not interaction with the away fans helps create an atmosphere

there's nowt stopping interaction at the moment, but those in the north stand who could chant at them just sit there saying fuck all.

theres absolutely no way to substantiate moving the away fans to the only section of SOL that makes any semblance of noise

i wonder if some liverpool fans advocate moving the away section at anfield to the middle of the Kop

i'd rather a quieter ground to the sound of sunderland fans, than a louder ground to sound of away fans.

there's nowt stopping interaction at the moment, but those in the north stand who could chant at them just sit there saying fuck all.

theres absolutely no way to substantiate moving the away fans to the only section of SOL that makes any semblance of noise

i wonder if some liverpool fans advocate moving the away section at anfield to the middle of the Kop
The SWC made plenty of noise. The South Stand is the original away end. The comparison with the kop is utter nonsense

People keep posting about moving the away fans to x corner, but it’s really not that straight forward. When the club originally moved them to the NS upper they had to undertake a feasibility study to satisfy the police and safety committee. All four corners were ruled out pretty quickly.

The only corner that could be possibly used is the NE corner, but it would be a total pain for the club/fans. Not only would they have to keep the police/safety committee happy - which will not be easy (particularly around the issue of derby day); and relocate 2000-3000 SC holders; but they would need to invest quite a bit of money improving the facilities and introducing segregation. In addition, they would need to close the SAFCSA shop which is presently located in that corner.

Really, the only area of the SOL the away fans could feasibly go is the South Stand (as it was designed for away fans), but you then have the issue of the family stand being located next to them!

Away fans will not be moved.

I doubt the police would want away support sitting in front of the BCB mate. In addition, on derby day, when the ‘sterile zone’ is in place, it becomes extremely difficult to get 3000 home fans into the upper tier. Everyone would need to use the premier concourse turnstiles which would not be ideal
I know mate, said a bit tongue in cheek to keep a couple nibbling last night. ;):lol:

The SWC made plenty of noise. The South Stand is the original away end. The comparison with the kop is utter nonsense

The SWC was canny, but completely limited to 2 thousand as it was flanked by the away end and West stand posh seats. The away fans could easily outsing it if they had decent numbers (man united used to regularly). I had a ST at the back of SWC for years , and enjoyed it, but always wanted a bigger section. The South stand arrangemt in 10 times better than the SWC could ever be on its own. We now have a standing/ singing section of a about 3-5000. Why would anyone want to cut that down .

I realise the comparison sounds nonsense, but so would this if the away fans had been in the North upper from day 1 and the South stand originally was the 'home end '

The SWC was canny, but completely limited to 2 thousand as it was flanked by the away end and West stand posh seats. The away fans could easily outsing it if they had decent numbers (man united used to regularly). I had a ST at the back of SWC for years , and enjoyed it, but always wanted a bigger section. The South stand arrangemt in 10 times better than the SWC could ever be on its own. We now have a standing/ singing section of a about 3-5000. Why would anyone want to cut that down .
It doesn't have to be cut down. The singing section, which imo was a crap idea and I've seen nowt to suggest I was wrong, doesn't make any more noise than the swc.

I realise the comparison sounds nonsense, but so would this if the away fans had been in the North upper from day 1 and the South stand originally was the 'home end '
Agree with this. Also, a lot of people in the swc moved to the south stand and have probably been replaced by those not too bothered about contributing to a the singing. So hoping the swc all of sudden becomes a cauldron of noise by shoving the away support in the south stand is fantasy stuff.

Also, another thing (slightly minor point tbf) which I don't think should be ignored is that if you look at the season tickets sold past two years the most populated area of the ground has arguably been the south stand. So why should they be the ones to get messed about by having to move seats again?

It doesn't have to be cut down. The singing section, which imo was a crap idea and I've seen nowt to suggest I was wrong, doesn't make any more noise than the swc.

rubbish. maybe it doesn't sing as frequently as the SWC did (We were in the premier league doing aright for a lot of those years) but the south stand and sc has more than double the fans that the swc did alone. when it gets going its clearly louder. the problem is, it rarely gets going - due entirely to whats going on on the pitch.

how would you put the away fans in the south stand and still accommodate all those that stand there?

rubbish. maybe it doesn't sing as frequently as the SWC did (We were in the premier league doing aright for a lot of those years) but the south stand and sc has more than double the fans that the swc did alone. when it gets going its clearly louder. the problem is, it rarely gets going - due entirely to whats going on on the pitch.

how would you put the away fans in the south stand and still accommodate all those that stand there?
It isn't rubbish. Well it is if you're referring to true South Stand. I'd never have moved the away fans.
I'd move them to a either NE or SE corner

It isn't rubbish. Well it is if you're referring to true South Stand. I'd never have moved the away fans.
I'd move them to a either NE or SE corner

fair enough, but as has been pointed out, its logistically practically impossible to move them to the SE or NE corner. if the club moved the away fans, it would be the south stand, and it would be the shittest thing they could do. play well, win some matches, and watch what happens to the atmosphere. you'll forget that there is any away fans there.

the problem is people want to be part of an atmosphere without actually adding anything to it, and by the sounds of it, would be happy to sit and listen to the away fans all game

How many big clubs have the away fans next to the singers? How many grounds have we been to this season where the singers are next to each other? Precious few. It shouldn't need the proximity of away fans to create an atmosphere. To be honest, it sounds more like people get more kicks from goading, or being goaded by, opposition fans than by actually getting behind the team. Put the away fans where it's hardest for them to get behind their team. Leave them where they are, but spend a little bit of money lining the North Stan roof with something sound absorbing to kill the resonance :).

fair enough, but as has been pointed out, its logistically practically impossible to move them to the SE or NE corner. if the club moved the away fans, it would be the south stand, and it would be the shittest thing they could do. play well, win some matches, and watch what happens to the atmosphere. you'll forget that there is any away fans there.

the problem is people want to be part of an atmosphere without actually adding anything to it, and by the sounds of it, would be happy to sit and listen to the away fans all game

The Away fans dominate the SOL now more than they ever have. They make noise regardless as it's their big day out. Whether you like it or not our support need them to spark them unless we're winning.

The South Stand are legends in their own minds, granted they’re the main area of the ground for singing, but what they actually do leaves a lot to be desired.
Please take this as constructive criticism.

What is people’s obsession with having away fans pitchside??
Why grant the visitors any sort of advantage?
I go to a game to watch it, not chant shit at opposing fans.

Absolutely this. You can't tell me it didn't give the mags an advantage kicking towards 3000 of their fans for 45 minutes. As someone said earlier, they have never beat us since they were moved. Coincidence, maybe, but probably not. It's much better our team kick towards our own supporters for the full ninety minutes. I seriously can't get my head around any Sunderland fan wanting away fans in prime seats behind the goal.

When teams like Burton and Accrington come with a few hundred fans, it looks absolutely shit with all the empty seats. The atmosphere was no better before, the problem is, we're not scoring enough goals and the fans in the "singing section" can't be arsed to chant.
This, plus having not had much to sing about in recent years and the fact any new ideas for songs are shut down instantly.

Back