MPs want to ban smoking outside of pubs

If pubs are being granted licenses to allow them to serve alcohol for consumption in an allocated area outside then it seems pretty easy to enforce conditions in that area?
Surely all you'll have to do is go outside that if you can't hold on for a tab?

I would be surprised if the pubs want this as a lot of the hard drinking regulars still smoke. I see the same ones out the back of the bell every time I pop to Sainsbury’s. They must spend a bastard fortune in there and may well not bother if they can’t have a tab.

I’d ban tobacco so long as e-cigarettes were readily available.

Would have to be graduated though to avoid a huge black market
They are a bit shite though. No substitute for the real thing.
It’s quite simple. Leave it up to landlords to decide if they want the anti- smoking crowd’s money, or the not bothered crowd’s money. I know what most pubs would choose.

Last edited:
Seems a pretty good way of driving away yet more customers like.
I don’t smoke or vape but a few mates do, can see them knocking the pub on the head if they can’t do their nicotine fixes

Seems a pretty good way of driving away yet more customers like.
I don’t smoke or vape but a few mates do, can see them knocking the pub on the head if they can’t do their nicotine fixes
That’s the kicker mind. Non smokers will moan about it but still go to the pub. Smokers may not. Which is why I cant see it going through.

Ridiculous. Going too far that. Just allow them to stand outside, but with clear plastic hoods over their heads so they can talk to each other. Though you don't really need to be able to see someone to hear them grunt.

I can see both sides to it to be honest.

Personally I think it’s disgusting now. I used to smoke but no longer do because I can’t for health reasons. However, I do remember how nice a cigarette can be with a drink and still know plenty of people who enjoy the same. Could end up driving a large percentage of pub goers away which at the moment is a bad idea.

I would love to be able to sit in a beer garden or not have to walk through a crowd of smoke whenever I enter a pub but it's just the way things are. Pointless banning it in my opinion. Cocaines illegal but that doesn’t stop everyone hoovering up multiple lines in the pub toilets. People will just do it anyways.

I think hunk education is a better way forward. I’m seeing a lot less of the younger generation smoking now than even when I was a teenager ten years ago. In the mean time though, let people kill themselves inhaling smoke if they want to.

Back