Moyes poll: should he stay or should he go?

Keep or get rid of DM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chelsea were up for the game. They took the lead twice but the crowd willed the team to victory. Once we took the lead at 3-2 they maybe were a little flat.

Everton on the other hand were a disgrace. They were the worst Everton side I've ever seen play us. After the Chelsea game I fancied us to beat them anyway but they did roll over.

You simply can't compare it to your game against Spurs as there was no pressure on either team. It was a dead rubber.

I'll concede on the Chelsea game but on the face of it to Everton, the game against you was as much of a dead rubber as our game against Spurs was to Spurs.

The reasons for defending him seem to be 'great CV, look what he did at Everton', 'lets have some stability' and 'we can't afford to sack him'. The first seems to ignore that he is failing to get anywhere near the best out of the players at his disposal, with flat lifeless performances and frankly absurd substitutions. What do they see that makes them think he can build an organised, fighting team to get us back out of the Championship? They are seeing something in our play that I am not. Every manager has his day unfortunately. We would have been mad to hold on to Wilkinson, but he had a better CV and history in the game. We all love Reid for what he did here, but he started to struggle and has never managed in the Premier League since. I think that tells you something. It looks like Moyes has gone the same way and expired his sell-by date.

The second about stability, most supporting him accept that we are going down but want to keep Moyes for stability. Losing our league status along with any of our decent players, leaving the club completely Rodwelled financially, is as about as unstable as we can get.

While I am not an expert on the club finances, I believe sacking him will cost £4-6m, as reported on here. Relegation will cost us at least £60m.

If we gamble, bring someone in and it saves us, then we are £56m better off than we would otherwise be, but be back in the same situation of changing manager, wanting their own team etc. However it will be in that situation in the Premier League, rather than building a new team with Championship players that will need shipping out if we do manage to come back up.

If we gamble and lose, we will be £6m worse off but will hopefully have brought in a manager who we can have confidence in that can build a promotion team.

Sadly it seems clear now that we are stuck with Moyes and I am not aware of anyone who thinks Sunderland will survive this season. It seems like madness to hold on to him, but that is Sunderland for you.
Name one manager who would be able to come in, assess the squad, decide on a style of play, improve the current available players to the required standard and survive?

I'll concede on the Chelsea game but on the face of it to Everton, the game against you was as much of a dead rubber as our game against Spurs was to Spurs.

There was no pressure on you lot either for the Spurs game. You could play with no fear, we couldn't against Everton.

The reasons for defending him seem to be 'great CV, look what he did at Everton', 'lets have some stability' and 'we can't afford to sack him'. The first seems to ignore that he is failing to get anywhere near the best out of the players at his disposal, with flat lifeless performances and frankly absurd substitutions. What do they see that makes them think he can build an organised, fighting team to get us back out of the Championship? They are seeing something in our play that I am not. Every manager has his day unfortunately. We would have been mad to hold on to Wilkinson, but he had a better CV and history in the game. We all love Reid for what he did here, but he started to struggle and has never managed in the Premier League since. I think that tells you something. It looks like Moyes has gone the same way and expired his sell-by date.

The second about stability, most supporting him accept that we are going down but want to keep Moyes for stability. Losing our league status along with any of our decent players, leaving the club completely Rodwelled financially, is as about as unstable as we can get.

While I am not an expert on the club finances, I believe sacking him will cost £4-6m, as reported on here. Relegation will cost us at least £60m.

If we gamble, bring someone in and it saves us, then we are £56m better off than we would otherwise be, but be back in the same situation of changing manager, wanting their own team etc. However it will be in that situation in the Premier League, rather than building a new team with Championship players that will need shipping out if we do manage to come back up.

If we gamble and lose, we will be £6m worse off but will hopefully have brought in a manager who we can have confidence in that can build a promotion team.

Sadly it seems clear now that we are stuck with Moyes and I am not aware of anyone who thinks Sunderland will survive this season. It seems like madness to hold on to him, but that is Sunderland for you.
People on have no idea man :lol:

Unless this new manager is a master of the dark arts, there'd be no reason to bring him in now.

Chelsea were up for the game. They took the lead twice but the crowd willed the team to victory. Once we took the lead at 3-2 they maybe were a little flat.

Everton on the other hand were a disgrace. They were the worst Everton side I've ever seen play us. After the Chelsea game I fancied us to beat them anyway but they did roll over.

You simply can't compare it to your game against Spurs as there was no pressure on either team. It was a dead rubber.
In fact Spurs were mentally shot after the Chelsea game and missing out on the title after a long season. In any case, they still went down with Benitez in charge. Nothing can change that fact ;)

Spot on

Name one manager who would be able to come in, assess the squad, decide on a style of play, improve the current available players to the required standard and survive?
So another reason not to sack him is SMB can't name another manager?

I agree too much stock has been put into the Chelsea & Everton games as if we had become that team. They raised their games against 2 teams that weren't fussed and the atmosphere was a massive help. We hadn't turned a corner unfortunately.

Paulo Di Canio and Dick Advocaat managed it within the last few seasons.

I agree too much stock has been put into the Chelsea & Everton games as if we had become that team. They raised their games against 2 teams that weren't fussed and the atmosphere was a massive help. We hadn't turned a corner unfortunately.

SAFC Jan 1st 2016 until the end of the season.

Played 19, lost 3, 27 points. Flash in the pan?

Last edited:
It's not just those games though.

I only usually watch Sunderland, so I am not in a position to know who is available across Europe. I could not name more than half a dozen managers in the championship. Do not worry though, I will not be involved in the recruitment process. My lack of knowledge of available candidates is not a reason to keep Moyes.

Someone short term would do, just someone to give the club a lift like Di Canio did, then look again the the summer. I'm not sure if the Welsh FA would consider letting us have Coleman for a few weeks. Steve Bould is apparently developing into a good coach.

It is not certain that anyone could come in and do what you say. However when even the Moyes supporters admit we are getting relegated without a whimper then what do we have to lose? The worse that can happen is someone will come in, get us relegated with less than 30 points and finish bottom of the league. The most likely thing to happen with Moyes is that we will get relegated with less than 30 points and finish bottom of the league.

SAFC Jan 1st 2016 until the end of the season.

Played 19, lost 3, 27 points. Flash in the pan?

The shocking thing with this is, this season from the 1st Jan, we had lost 3 games by the 11th Feb. They were 3-1 against Stoke, 2-0 West Brom and 4-0 Southampton.

Last edited:
Woy saved Fulham a few years ago. Pearson saved Leicester. Their will be others who could hardly do a worse job marra. They might actually show a bit of attacking intent now and again.

We haven't even got to the corner this season. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

I smell a Moyes apologist :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back