Moyes: My players aren't even doing the basics right

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the reason we are shit is:

A) The players are bottle jobs. Not tracking runners, making tackles/blocks

B) We have got a horrendous injury list.

C) Our organisation in every facet of the game is embarrassingly piss poor.

D) Dave's a bit negative and moany.

So A stop picking the fuckers. Send in the kids. If Davey comes out and says the first team lads are letting me down so the kids are gonna show them how its done in terms of effort, desire and workrate until the billy big bollcock fuckers match their workrate on the training pitch and on a match day they'll sit in the stands.

Now.... B. In this day and age the training regime and recovery programmes can reduce the risk of even impact injuries let alone strains etc. So is the medical department being listened too? Dunno. Is Big Dave, Rob and Brace working the fuckers too hard (doubt it) or wrongly loading the session. Who knows, not me. But something is up.

C. The biggest concern for me. Done a little bit of coaching and organisation is the simplest thing to instill into a squad that is bereft of quality and confidence. Simplicity and repetition on the training park. Coaching staff are f***ing up.

D. We aren't looking for excuses we are looking for solutions. Or hope, give us a bit hope.

That's 5mins I'll never get back. Night x

We played decent enough in quite a number of games, it's only in recent weeks when the squad has become bare we are looking really poor.

People don't want to know this - they much prefer to vent all their frustration on Moyes. Such is a coach's lot.

OK then what about Everton and Arsenal? Stoke?

Well we didn't deserve anything from them games and alot more of them.

The games I mean are those that were close, Boro and WBA at home, West Ham away, Southampton away, you could say Swansea up until the penalty we were doing ok even missed a great chance to go one up.

Even Man City, we didn't fair too badly and frustrated them and restricted them to only 4 shots on target losing the game late on.

Well we didn't deserve anything from them games and alot more of them.

The games I mean are those that were close, Boro and WBA at home, West Ham away, Southampton away, you could say Swansea up until the penalty we were doing ok even missed a great chance to go one up.

Even Man City, we didn't fair too badly and frustrated them and restricted them to only 4 shots on target losing the game late on.
Boro we were poor till we scored but they weren't much better a draw would probably have been fair. City, Moyes subbed Defoe and brought Mcnair on and he scored the og, unlucky or negative from Moyes take ya pick.

Honestly I think we're going to have to wait and give him a chance to build a team before criticising him, even if it's in the championship. Tin hat on.

The Mags, are running the Moyes :cool: campaign just like we did with the Mclaren vote. Hope it's the same outcome bye, bye dour dave. :lol::lol::lol:

We're decimated with injuries and the ACON. Fair enough. But I'm sick of the negativity coming out of the club and particularly from the manager. I can only think DM is doing that to make sure in his eyes the World knows that our failings our 100% nothing to do with him. But the reality is that talking that way is self perpetuating in creating the outcome that DM foresees. A manager has to be upbeat. Yes he can highlight difficulties but what's wrong with expressing confidence in the players that he has and being up for the challenge? FFS, we might have been lucky that teams around us, until recently at least, have lost a lot of games and the gap to safety is still manageable, but even now we are 3 points shy of safety. We've got 10 days or so off now and at some point we will have a stronger squad available.

If Moyes was my manager I'd hate going into work too. He needs to get this transfer window right and get them doing the basics. Will be good to get Pickford, Kone and a fit Khazri back. Also Kirchhoff and Catts can't be far away. Buy another target man and Brady or Snodgrass. Greatest escape yet.

Last edited:
David Moyes has said that his Sunderland side are simply not doing the basics well enough to suceed in the Premier League.

The Black Cats were again beaten on Saturday, first-half goals from Darren Fletcher and Chris Brunt enough to settle the contest at the Hawthorns.

It was a case of same old story for the Sunderland boss, again left to bemoan poor defensive efforts undermining any attempt to take something from the game.

The Black Cats have now taken just four points since beating Leicester City on December 3 last year, a period which has also seen them dumped out of the FA Cup by Burnley.

With Tottenham Hotspur next up in the Premier League, Moyes faces a major challenge to turn around what has become a desperate run of form.

He said: “I would say this is a tough period.

“Obviously the situation we are in is disappointing but I think you have to keep doing the basics well. If you were being fair you would say the basics are not what we are doing well.

“The basics on the pitch are making sure you block shots, do all those things and be in the correct position in the first place, all those sort of things. I just don’t think we are doing the basics well enough.”

For what is far from the first time season, the goals conceded were clearly preventable, sweet strikes so they were.

The first goal saw Sunderland lose a header on the edge of their own area, before scuffing two opportunities to clear the corner. Then, Patrick van Aanholt stepped away from Fletcher, allowing the Scot to take a touch, turn and volley home from inside the Sunderland box.

The second was a catalogue of errors, Matt Phillips finding it all too easy to beat both Papy Djilibodji and John O’Shea. His low cross was palmed into a dangerous area by Vito Mannone, and the Black Cats looked to have been fortunate when Nacer Chadli smashed his close-range effort off the bar.

Left-back Chris Brunt had advanced to the edge of the area untracked, however, and fired into the top corner.

Yet for all the frustration, injuries and international call-ups mean Moyes has had precious few options to change his pack and try to provoke a reaction.

On Saturday, there were just two changes from the side turned over by Burnley in midweek, John O’Shea and Jack Rodwell replacing Fabio Borini and Donald Love.

Moyes hailed the influence of George Honeyman, who has emerged as a genuine first team contender, but bemoaned not being able to mix it up more emphatically.

He said: “New faces do help, for us competition is important but we are a bit limited in terms of what we can do. People can probably make mistakes for us and be in the team next week because of where we are at.

“But that is partly to do with injuries and partly to do with people being away.

“We could do with more competition if we can get it. But if nothing else, George Honeyman has come in and done as well as anybody.

“I think we will work hard to get people in. As I said earlier, we are not that far away and it might sometimes need something to spark it and I will try and find it.”

The difficulties are far from unexpected for Moyes, who had identified this period as a potentially trying one for his side.

He said: “I said in the press conference that January looked tough for us because all the games at Christmas and New Year and then coming out of it we had to send boys away. Knowing there wasn’t many coming back in the short-term I knew we would have roughly the same group of players for most of the games in January.

“But hey we have been here before and hopefully we can get away from it.

“We went on a good run round about November time so we need to try and do it again.”
Better chance with Ray Charles & Stevie wonder

Ones where I feel we've been unlucky not to get more out of the games or do you feel we've been shit in them all..?

We absolutely mugged Bournemouth for our first win of the season, barely deserved a draw. WBA at home, we were f***ing shocking scrapped a draw.

Trying to make a case for the games we were OK in but we didn't get our just rewards? Off the top of my head I would say maybe a draw against a very poor Boro side. I can't think of a single other game.

Somebody mentioned West Ham, we probably deserved a draw. All in all we are exactly where we deserve to be. Getting humped by 3 clear goals by Swansea and Burnley FFS!

People don't want to know this - they much prefer to vent all their frustration on Moyes. Such is a coach's lot.

It isn't actually true is it though? :)

Honestly I think we're going to have to wait and give him a chance to build a team before criticising him, even if it's in the championship. Tin hat on.

Firstly, there's no evidence he can build a team.

Secondly, he'll resign when we get relegated. He won't manage in the second tier. He thinks he's better than that, and recent comments from Phil Neal ("he can walk away with his reputation untarnished") and from Moyes himself ("Sunderland are about where they deserve to be" and "New signings won't make any difference") are indicative of this. He'll be away quicker than . . .er . . something really quick.

Firstly, there's no evidence he can build a team.

Secondly, he'll resign when we get relegated. He won't manage in the second tier. He thinks he's better than that, and recent comments from Phil Neal ("he can walk away with his reputation untarnished") and from Moyes himself ("Sunderland are about where they deserve to be" and "New signings won't make any difference") are indicative of this. He'll be away quicker than . . .er . . something really quick.

It was Phil ( big nose ) Thompson who said that not Phil Neal marra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back