Moyes mask slipping in the press

Well played, Jonathan Wilson... it's about time someone took the charlatan Moyes to task.

This section in particular says all you need to know about Moyes and Sunderland: -

"That there were deep-rooted problems of finance, personnel and culture at Sunderland is undeniable. There has been a consequent tendency to absolve Moyes, to regard the club as having been essentially unmanageable – a theory the high turnover of coaches tends to support...

..But it wasn’t Roy Keane, Ricky Sbragia, Steve Bruce, Martin O’Neill, Paolo Di Canio, Gus Poyet, Dick Advocaat or Allardyce who took Sunderland down: it was Moyes – and he was the only one who took over with the club on an apparent upswing"

Nailed it.
Love that

Excellent piece.

Moyes has been living off his Everton days for far too long.

His whole attitude here stank from day 1. It was if the fans should have bowed down in reverence to acknowledge that such a great manager should grace us with his presence.
The reality seemed to be that he regretted the move immediately and made a pitiful token effort at managing here.

I’d have backed any of the premier league managers we had during our recent seasons to make a far better fist of it than dour Dave.
Could argue also that Moyes failure broke Short, who’d always wanted him. Maybe that attitude was, if Moyes can’t even do it, fuck it.

It’s going to be unpopular but some of those comments are true ... moyes may be the man In charge but behind the scenes the state of Sunderland has been years in the making. It’s a collaboration of mangers and board level management wrecking the club. It’s not nice to see and I don’t wish it on any club, but blaming Moyes for Sunderland’s downfall is a tad far fetched I feel
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Love when other fans comment on things they haven't got a f***ing clue about

As a Portsmouth fan I’m extremely well versed in bad management and ownership coupled with relegations and constant bad luck 🙄
Bad management of the club off the field was consistent but Moyes was the first who underperformed over the whole season thus getting us relegated. All the others had bursts of "success" which kept us up

I think some people are over-egging Allardyce mind. We were never higher than 17th under him. Yeah we were great against Chelsea and Everton, but "Champions League form", come on.

Moyes was dealt a difficult hand but he played it in the worst way possible.

The annoying thing is that the vast majority of the media and general public can't see what he done wrong. Their attitude is "well it's Sunderland, they've always been a mess". Helped no doubt by his relegation press conference in August

I think some people are over-egging Allardyce mind. We were never higher than 17th under him. Yeah we were great against Chelsea and Everton, but "Champions League form", come on.

Moyes was dealt a difficult hand but he played it in the worst way possible.

When he came I think we’d won none of our first 7 or 8 league games. We’ll never know now but his tenure has to be seen in the context of how shambolic we were when he arrived. Minor miracle that he got us clear with a game to spare.

Could argue also that Moyes failure broke Short, who’d always wanted him. Maybe that attitude was, if Moyes can’t even do it, fuck it.
That would be a point if he did not cut financing in the January when there was still a decent chance of staying up. Instead he pocketed the PVA money and brought in cheaper replacements.

Last edited:

Back