Moyes mask slipping in the press

It’s going to be unpopular but some of those comments are true ... moyes may be the man In charge but behind the scenes the state of Sunderland has been years in the making. It’s a collaboration of mangers and board level management wrecking the club. It’s not nice to see and I don’t wish it on any club, but blaming Moyes for Sunderland’s downfall is a tad far fetched I feel

Took over a side who had lost 1 game in their last 11 games and not only dismantled the squad in terms of ability (6 first choice players that were either binned or barely featured), he dismantled the squad morale in the space of a couple of weeks during preseason. So much so he brought in Pienaar just so he had someone to back him in the changing room. It was crazy, the club media team were covering the preseason and the photos of players went from being happy and smiling to visably looking suicidal. Having played two league games he publicly gave up and declared we would be relegated.

A number of players have came out since and commented on his detrimental affect on the team.
He had to option to sign the best midfielder we've seen in a decade (who was begging to come) and instead signed one for twice the price (16 million) who we eventually sacked, and brought in a CB for 8 million, who had previously played 2 minutes of PL football for Chelsea after a 2 million move to them. Another player who ended his time here by being sacked and I don't mean paid off to leave, I mean sacked for being a disgrace. And don't forget he brought on a well know alcoholic who ended his career here by - you a guessed it - being sacked after ploughing his car into a street full of parked cars on his way to the match pissed, having already once that season been disciplined for being a pissed up idiot.

He spent nearly all his budget on those two clowns and was forced to bump up the squad with fillers (like 37 year old Lescott) bar McNair that he spent about 5 million on, and Love (who couldn't even get a game for us in league 1 and subsequently moves to Shrewsbury) who he preferred over Yedlin.

He couldn't work out how to play the best midfielder we had on the books during his time here (a player Allardyce managed brilliantly) nor did he have a clue how to keep him - or many others for that matter - fit with poor training methods.

He managed to fuck off our best player, and top goalscorer so much he was engineering moves away as early as January.

He played McNair in one game for nearly 60 minutes after he snapped his ACL.

He immediately mismanaged and ostracised Allardyce's two key signings that greatly influenced the form we found in the season prior AND sold our other first choice CB. One of those being a forward who went on to play at the following World Cup.

The bloke was an absolute disaster. He had no positive impact on any part of the playing team or the club and when he wasn't blaming everything on anyone else, he was even making a complete tit of himself in the media by threatening to attack women.

Still to this day he's avoided any criticism whatsoever and seems to have deliberately forgotten he even managed here.

Last edited:
The side he inherited were in good form, admittedly not the finished article, but definitely had the makings of a decent side.

Before he came in:

We had a very good keeper in Pickford And adequate back up in Mannone.
We had a sold left back in PVA.
We had a decent centre back partnership in Kaboul and Koné with O’Shea as back up.
We a decent right back in Yedlin and decent back up in Jones.

We had Khazri, Watmore, Lens and Borini as wide men.
We had Catts, M’Vila and Kirchhoff in the centre of the park.

We had Jermaine Defoe up front.

What he then did was:

Allowed Kaboul to leave and replaced him with Djilobodji who’d barely kicked a ball for Chelsea.
Didn’t sign Yedlin who signed for the mags who were in the Championship.
Mismanaged Kirchhoff to the extent that he couldn’t manage to play most games, despite having an excellent fitness record on Allardyce.
Didn’t sign M’Vila and instead spent a record amount on N’Dong.
Didn’t sign a forward to play alongside Defoe, despite us releasing Fletcher and Danny Graham.

His comments after the Boro defeat at home, after we’d narrowly lost and after conceding a last minute goal to lose away at City were:

“Well, they would probably be right because that’s where they’ve been every other year for the last four years, so why would it suddenly change?”

It set the tone from pretty much the second week of the season, when we were still looking to bring new players in. It’s no surprise that the only players we managed to bring in from that point on were ones he had managed before.
He was a disaster and we never looked like getting out of trouble that season. The only time we seemed to click was when Anichebe played but that was few and far between.
Best post on here for ages

Took over a side who had lost 1 game in their last 11 games and not only dismantled the squad in terms of ability (6 first choice players that were either binned or barely featured), he dismantled the squad morale in the space of a couple of weeks during preseason. So much so he brought in Pienaar just so he had someone to back him in the changing room. It was crazy, the club media team were covering the preseason and the photos of players went from being happy and smiling to visably looking suicidal. Having played two league games he publicly gave up and declared we would be relegated.

A number of players have came out since and commented on his detrimental affect on the team.
He had to option to sign the best midfielder we've seen in a decade (who was begging to come) and instead signed one for twice the price (16 million) who we eventually sacked, and brought in a CB for 8 million, who had previously played 2 minutes of PL football for Chelsea after a 2 million move to them. Another player who ended his time here by being sacked and I don't mean paid off to leave, I mean sacked for being a disgrace. And don't forget he brought on a well know alcoholic who ended his career here by - you a guessed it - being sacked after ploughing his car into a street full of parked cars on his way to the match pissed, having already once that season been disciplined for being a pissed up idiot.

He spent nearly all his budget on those two clowns and was forced to bump up the squad with fillers (like 37 year old Lescott) bar McNair that he spent about 5 million on, and Love (who couldn't even get a game for us in league 1 and subsequently moves to Shrewsbury) who he preferred over Yedlin.

He couldn't work out how to play the best midfielder we had on the books during his time here (a player Allardyce managed brilliantly) nor did he have a clue how to keep him - or many others for that matter - fit with poor training methods.

He managed to fuck off our best player, and top goalscorer so much he was engineering moves away as early as January.

He played McNair in one game for nearly 60 minutes after he snapped his ACL.

He immediately mismanaged and ostracised Allardyce's two key signings that greatly influenced the form we found in the season prior AND sold our other first choice CB. One of those being a forward who went on to play at the following World Cup.

The bloke was an absolute disaster. He had no positive impact on any part of the playing team or the club and when he wasn't blaming everything on anyone else, he was even making a complete tit of himself in the media by threatening to attack women.

Still to this day he's avoided any criticism whatsoever and seems to have deliberately forgotten he even managed here.
Absolutely spot on mate.

The man is an utter charlatan and **** for trying to airbrush his time with us as something out of his control ! The Everton supporters can blow smoke up his arse if they want he got his lucky break there. Coventry fans laud jimmy Hill but doesn’t stop him being an utter **** either !

Cool story, Charlie Methven told me when he first arrived that the staff at SAFC had said they'd regularly find Moyes sat alone, staring into space, as if he had a mental illness.

Cool story, Charlie Methven told me when he first arrived that the staff at SAFC had said they'd regularly find Moyes sat alone, staring into space, as if he had a mental illness.
When he was walking through the academy he allegedly rarely spoke to the young players or the staff there.

Someone like Sir Alex Ferguson at Man United, for example, would know the name of every young player and when he passed them, if they had done well, would say something like “I’ve been told you played well at the weekend son, keep it up and I’m gonna have you in training with the first team squad”.

Moyes, allegedly, was like Doctor Death, morose, miserable and just blanked people. Our worst ever appointment. And that’s saying something.

When he was walking through the academy he allegedly rarely spoke to the young players or the staff there.

Someone like Sir Alex Ferguson at Man United, for example, would know the name of every young player and when he passed them, if they had done well, would say something like “I’ve been told you played well at the weekend son, keep it up and I’m gonna have you in training with the first team squad”.

Moyes, allegedly, was like Doctor Death, morose, miserable and just blanked people. Our worst ever appointment. And that’s saying something.

A walking cancer at the club, Ellis' biggest mistake and that's saying something

Back