Moyes mask slipping in the press

I have already agreed Moyes is responsible for the first relegation.

It just feels a stretch to blame him for the second when we had enough quality in the side to be lower mid table in the Championship the following season.

We could go down again next season. But if we did I couldn’t bring myself to blame Moyes in the basis that “if the first relegation happened the second and third ones wouldn’t”.

He was disastrous for us. As you say he gave up straight away and never tried to inject any optimism or energy into the club. He just collected his pay cheque, brought some old mates in and we were gone.
I don't think it is a stretch. You just have to watch the first season of STID to see how depressing the club was. The soul had well and truly been sucked out of it by Moyes. The players seemed to have no confidence and we had players who didn't want to be there at all.

You could argue it would be up to the next manager to change the attitude of the squad but the players' minds were made up. We had some young players willing to fight for the club but we were stuck with a lot of players who hated being at the club and it was terrible for the dressing room and a very tough task for any new manager. We were down before a ball was kicked.

Think you have to blame the majority on Moyes.
When Big Sam was in charge we were playing with top 6 form and results towards the end of the season. It looked like we were finally turning the corner. Players like M'Villa should have been signed immediately. Yet he spends more on N'Dong and 8 mil on a Chelsea reserve who hadn't done anything to prove himself.
Also part of management has to be about instilling confidence in your staff to try and get the best out of them. I don't think conceding that we were in a relegation scrap after a couple of games into a new season, in a press conference that probably would be shown around the world, is necessarily the best way to rally your troops to give their best for you.
He hasn't been close to being a success anywhere since he was at Everton.

Everyone knows that,apart from some of the dumb Everton supporters

You have Everton fans who are just grateful for some level of historical success

He was responsible for all of their historic success like.

Domestic
European
Doubles
Which of them did Moyes win again.

He was responsible for all of their historic success like.

Domestic
European
Doubles
Which of them did Moyes win again.

Everton were an exciting club to watch under Moyes tbf despite them winning fuck all. I can't blame the Everton fans for liking him. Moyes is absolutely nothing without Everton though.

Everton were an exciting club to watch under Moyes tbf despite them winning fuck all. I can't blame the Everton fans for liking him. Moyes is absolutely nothing without Everton though.
I don't agree they were exciting, they were much better to watch under Martinez but they just couldn't defend, apparently Everton were quite happy for him to leave, dithering Dave he was called by the backroom boys, which followed him to Man Utd, he did nothing with Everton but keep them middling along with the odd flirtation with the bottom six.

It’s going to be unpopular but some of those comments are true ... moyes may be the man In charge but behind the scenes the state of Sunderland has been years in the making. It’s a collaboration of mangers and board level management wrecking the club. It’s not nice to see and I don’t wish it on any club, but blaming Moyes for Sunderland’s downfall is a tad far fetched I feel
Far fetched? The bloke took us down, publicly declared we were in a relegation battle two games into the season after a home defeat to Middlesborough. He signed utter garbage. We won three home games all season. We had ‘behind the scenes problems’ for years yet managers like Poyet, Allardyce, O’Neil all done twice the job that charlatan managed.

He failed at United, Sociedad, Sunderland, and is only just managing to scrape West Ham to safety despite having one of the best squads in the bottom half of the table. He’s an absolute fraud, but his mates in the media will see him saved from any scrutiny as has been the case for years now.

I’ve supported the lads for a long time, but Moyes is the only person I actually detest.
Bringing in his shit over the hill cronies from Everton was despicable.
Can’t believe I’m saying this, but I hope the Scum destroy West Ham today.

Moyes almost single handidly destroyed our club.

Sam had finally sorted the team out and looked very likely to drag us out of being a relegation scrap team and pushing for mid table finishes.

Then Moyes came along and threw all of his work out, destroyed morale with ridiculously negative comments about our chances before a ball had even been kicked, fucked M'Villa over and chose to break our record signing on a Donkey from France with a bad attitude, signing ancient players who offer nothing because they were his pals and refused to take any blame at all.

The championship just exposed the mess Short had been making behind the scenes but Moyes is the one who put us in the position to be destroyed after the relegation.

To mane it worse when Sam left I honestly thought Moyes would be a great choice and was just dealt a bad hand at United, mere weeks after we got him it was clear he fucked the United job up himself.

Last edited:
The side he inherited were in good form, admittedly not the finished article, but definitely had the makings of a decent side.

Before he came in:

We had a very good keeper in Pickford And adequate back up in Mannone.
We had a sold left back in PVA.
We had a decent centre back partnership in Kaboul and Koné with O’Shea as back up.
We a decent right back in Yedlin and decent back up in Jones.

We had Khazri, Watmore, Lens and Borini as wide men.
We had Catts, M’Vila and Kirchhoff in the centre of the park.

We had Jermaine Defoe up front.

What he then did was:

Allowed Kaboul to leave and replaced him with Djilobodji who’d barely kicked a ball for Chelsea.
Didn’t sign Yedlin who signed for the mags who were in the Championship.
Mismanaged Kirchhoff to the extent that he couldn’t manage to play most games, despite having an excellent fitness record on Allardyce.
Didn’t sign M’Vila and instead spent a record amount on N’Dong.
Didn’t sign a forward to play alongside Defoe, despite us releasing Fletcher and Danny Graham.

His comments after the Boro defeat at home, after we’d narrowly lost and after conceding a last minute goal to lose away at City were:

“Well, they would probably be right because that’s where they’ve been every other year for the last four years, so why would it suddenly change?”

It set the tone from pretty much the second week of the season, when we were still looking to bring new players in. It’s no surprise that the only players we managed to bring in from that point on were ones he had managed before.
He was a disaster and we never looked like getting out of trouble that season. The only time we seemed to click was when Anichebe played but that was few and far between.

Spot on. The squad from the season before needed adding to with some quality, in addition to keeping M’Vila.

Instead we were saddled with some of the worst players (both in ability and attitude) that ever pulled on the shirt. The list of shite is frightening

Anichebe
Denayer
Dilibodji
Gibson
Januzaj
Lescott
Love
Manquillo
McNair
N’Dong
Pienaar
Oviedo

Of them Anichebe did an job on the rare occasions he was fit, we managed to get some money for McNair and Oviedo was half decent at times but it was generally in Div 3. The rest were dismal.

Spot on. The squad from the season before needed adding to with some quality, in addition to keeping M’Vila.

Instead we were saddled with some of the worst players (both in ability and attitude) that ever pulled on the shirt. The list of shite is frightening

Anichebe
Denayer
Dilibodji
Gibson
Januzaj
Lescott
Love
Manquillo
McNair
N’Dong
Pienaar
Oviedo

Of them Anichebe did an job on the rare occasions he was fit, we managed to get some money for McNair and Oviedo was half decent at times but it was generally in Div 3. The rest were dismal.
I mean , ffs , he went out and bought Love ! 😱 😱 😱

I mean , ffs , he went out and bought Love ! 😱 😱 😱

I know some were loans and frees but there was about £30m spent on absolute rubbish.

Bearing in mind Allardyce spent a little over half that amount in Jan 2016 bringing in Kone, Khazri & Kirchhoff who transformed the team it really puts things into context.

I know some were loans and frees but there was about £30m spent on absolute rubbish.

Bearing in mind Allardyce spent a little over half that amount in Jan 2016 bringing in Kone, Khazri & Kirchhoff who transformed the team it really puts things into context.
But he went out and bought him to play!.. The first reserve game i watched Love play in I knew straightaway how shit he was.. How he managed to blag a contract at Manure is anyone's guess. McNair, a different league altogether.. On the whole, 99% of the players Moyes brought in were absolute dogshit, at the end of their careers, nee legs, or just manufactured footballers with no natural skill set. That makes the difference between being a footballer or a run of the mill athlete..

Was it our players or man utds that called him the energy vampire.?. He just sucks the motivation out of the dressing room
Ours, although by all accounts Man United thought similar. Rio Ferdinand said Moyes set them a target one game that they had to complete X number of passes in a game, so they went out playing a slow, patient passing game. Then the next week against Fulham who were bottom of the league he said they had to complete X number of crosses, so they put everything down the wings despite not having a targetman up front. Fulham had 6'7ft Dan Burn in defence who headed everything away and they ended up drawing. The players ended up totally confused and demotivated.

Then there was the time he told Rio to learn from Phil Jagielka, which to be fair he explained how Jagielka had adapted his game after losing his pace but just sounds so ridiculous to say to one of England's best ever defenders :lol:

But he went out and bought him to play!.. The first reserve game i watched Love play in I knew straightaway how shit he was.. How he managed to blag a contract at Manure is anyone's guess. McNair, a different league altogether.. On the whole, 99% of the players Moyes brought in were absolute dogshit, at the end of their careers, nee legs, or just manufactured footballers with no natural skill set. That makes the difference between being a footballer or a run of the mill athlete..
All he needed to do was keep the side together by spending £7m on M'Vila and £3m on Yedlin. He is good mates with Allardyce - ask him how he managed Kirchhoff then use frees and whatever money was leftover to take a punt on a few younger players like McNair to replace the likes of Toivonen, N'Diaye and ease out O'Shea.

Instead he had to rip the team up and we went from having a settled squad where everyone complemented each other to starting the new season with Love at right back, O'Shea in midfield and Gooch on the wing, then later Pienaar and Gibson in midfield looking like two arthritic pensioners and Papy and Ndong stinking the joint out to the tune of £22m. In 20 years time we'll still be talking about the damage he did in the same way we still look back on selling Hutch as a missed opportunity.

Back