Moyes mask slipping in the press

Itā€™s going to be unpopular but some of those comments are true ... moyes may be the man In charge but behind the scenes the state of Sunderland has been years in the making. Itā€™s a collaboration of mangers and board level management wrecking the club. Itā€™s not nice to see and I donā€™t wish it on any club, but blaming Moyes for Sunderlandā€™s downfall is a tad far fetched I feel
Think you have to blame the majority on Moyes.
When Big Sam was in charge we were playing with top 6 form and results towards the end of the season. It looked like we were finally turning the corner. Players like M'Villa should have been signed immediately. Yet he spends more on N'Dong and 8 mil on a Chelsea reserve who hadn't done anything to prove himself.
Also part of management has to be about instilling confidence in your staff to try and get the best out of them. I don't think conceding that we were in a relegation scrap after a couple of games into a new season, in a press conference that probably would be shown around the world, is necessarily the best way to rally your troops to give their best for you.
He hasn't been close to being a success anywhere since he was at Everton.

When Big Sam was in charge we were playing with top 6 form and results towards the end of the season. It looked like we were finally turning the corner. Players like M'Villa should have been signed immediately. Yet he spends more on N'Dong and 8 mil on a Chelsea reserve who hadn't done anything to prove himself.
Also part of management has to be about instilling confidence in your staff to try and get the best out of them. I don't think conceding that we were in a relegation scrap after a couple of games into a new season, in a press conference that probably would be shown around the world, is necessarily the best way to rally your troops to give their best for you.
How anyone can fail at Man Utd is beyond me they're just starting to turn things around

After disastrous stings started by him & LVG & to a certain extent Jose

Yet this gets airbrushed by his media chums

Itā€™s going to be unpopular but some of those comments are true ... moyes may be the man In charge but behind the scenes the state of Sunderland has been years in the making. Itā€™s a collaboration of mangers and board level management wrecking the club. Itā€™s not nice to see and I donā€™t wish it on any club, but blaming Moyes for Sunderlandā€™s downfall is a tad far fetched I feel

I think Moyes is to blame for our first relegation.

But what came afterwards he can be absolved from. The clubs inability to invest to reclaim the Premier League status was due to transfer failure from previous administrations. The club still had enough about it to survive in the Championship if the right decisions were made.

I fully blame Moyes for the downward spiral the club is in. His transfer philosophy of ā€œgetting the band back together for one last paydayā€ failed spectacularly and we havenā€™t recovered since.
Google KENNY MOYES football agent and wonder why so many ex Everton has beens and a couple of poor players from another former club, Man United, ended up at SAFC.

Kenny has been a naughty boy and it makes you wonder what else heā€™s been up to, possibly with his charismatic brother David in tow? Just possibly of course.

I think Moyes is to blame for our first relegation.

But what came afterwards he can be absolved from. The clubs inability to invest to reclaim the Premier League status was due to transfer failure from previous administrations. The club still had enough about it to survive in the Championship if the right decisions were made.

If the first relegation doesn't happen the rest doesn't follow.....2 Fookin games in he publically gave up....

Never understood the comments from Moyes after 2 games when he virtually gave the opportunity to a few players to down tools.
I know he may not be everyoneā€™s favourite but imagine Warnock doing this.

The side he inherited were in good form, admittedly not the finished article, but definitely had the makings of a decent side.

Before he came in:

We had a very good keeper in Pickford And adequate back up in Mannone.
We had a sold left back in PVA.
We had a decent centre back partnership in Kaboul and KonĆ© with Oā€™Shea as back up.
We a decent right back in Yedlin and decent back up in Jones.

We had Khazri, Watmore, Lens and Borini as wide men.
We had Catts, Mā€™Vila and Kirchhoff in the centre of the park.

We had Jermaine Defoe up front.

What he then did was:

Allowed Kaboul to leave and replaced him with Djilobodji whoā€™d barely kicked a ball for Chelsea.
Didnā€™t sign Yedlin who signed for the mags who were in the Championship.
Mismanaged Kirchhoff to the extent that he couldnā€™t manage to play most games, despite having an excellent fitness record on Allardyce.
Didnā€™t sign Mā€™Vila and instead spent a record amount on Nā€™Dong.
Didnā€™t sign a forward to play alongside Defoe, despite us releasing Fletcher and Danny Graham.

His comments after the Boro defeat at home, after weā€™d narrowly lost and after conceding a last minute goal to lose away at City were:

ā€œWell, they would probably be right because thatā€™s where theyā€™ve been every other year for the last four years, so why would it suddenly change?ā€

It set the tone from pretty much the second week of the season, when we were still looking to bring new players in. Itā€™s no surprise that the only players we managed to bring in from that point on were ones he had managed before.
He was a disaster and we never looked like getting out of trouble that season. The only time we seemed to click was when Anichebe played but that was few and far between.

Last edited:
moyes is the only manager we've had since mcmenemy that i've really disliked. most of the rest had some redeeming aspect of their personality even if it was just that they seemed a decent bloke or they had a bit passion.
moyes had absolutely nothing going for him and gave a lot of his ex players a bit pension off the back of us.

Spot on! Moyes was a busted flush after Man Utd. An absolute charlatan

I was pleased like many others when Moyes was appointed... How I ate my words, shit them out and then ate them again when he left. Sucked the life out of the players, club and most importantly the fans...
Same, I remember being envious when he was linked with the mags. Bastards dodged a v2 rocket...

Mouse was a shit manager but letā€™s face it the succession of failures since indicated the problem lies deeper than the manager.

Article from The Guardian/Observer website starting to question Moyes and his involvement in our downfall.
A good summation but the Journo didn't have to do any research or make those observations about Moyes to pen the article, all he needed to do was ask any Sunderland Supporter. I'm just surprised more Journos haven't cottoned on to him yet.

If the first relegation doesn't happen the rest doesn't follow.....2 Fookin games in he publically gave up....

I have already agreed Moyes is responsible for the first relegation.

It just feels a stretch to blame him for the second when we had enough quality in the side to be lower mid table in the Championship the following season.

We could go down again next season. But if we did I couldnā€™t bring myself to blame Moyes in the basis that ā€œif the first relegation happened the second and third ones wouldnā€™tā€.

He was disastrous for us. As you say he gave up straight away and never tried to inject any optimism or energy into the club. He just collected his pay cheque, brought some old mates in and we were gone.

I never said he wasnā€™t a disaster but looking at the state of the club currently suggests all hasnā€™t been well for a while. It would be amateurish to blame Moyes. And for what itā€™s worth I have never liked him because he is so f***ing dull
No doubt whatsoever we were run shambolically, however, with respect, you haven't got a clue.

The problem here was Ellis Short didn't have a clue how to run a club so kept chucking money at it in the hope something stuck. Most of the time it didn't and he kept sacking managers to give us a short term boost, but the previous season he did find a solution - Allardyce.

Allardyce came in, weeded out the crap and brought in 3 quality signings for relatively little. The team complemented each other perfectly, everyone had a role and we ended the season in brilliant form - not a flash in the pan good run over the last few weeks but consistent performances and results throughout the second half of the season. We finished on a massive high and just needed someone to come in, keep the squad together and maybe add one or two additional signings to kick on.

We had two loanees, M'Vila and Yedlin, who were both available. Yedlin wasn't great but fit the team well and was a perfectly adequate right back - he dropped down to the Championship instead. Moyes brought in Donald Love instead who was horrific, Manquillo on loan who was also terrible, then brought back Billy Jones. Jones had been bombed out for Yedlin the previous season as he was awful but was now first choice right back again.

M'Vila had a brilliant season and was availabile for Ā£7m, instead he signed Ndong for Ā£13.6m. Ndong was rubbish and was subsequently sacked 2 years Iater. M'Vila was desperate to sign and actually turned up at the airport on deadline day.

Rather than keep the squad together he dismantled it, alienated the likes of Khazri, completely mismanaged Kirchhoff (Allardyce had him on a special training programme and subbed him off after 60 minutes every week as he was brilliant when fit, Moyes rushed him back playing two full games in a week and fucked him). Kaboul left for Ā£3.5m despite building an excellent partnership with Kone. Moyes replaced him with Djilobodji for Ā£8m - a joke of a player who he fucked off in January who was also subsequently sacked. He filled the squad with has-beens from Everton who added nothing.

But that's just bad management. What pissed everyone off was his body language and behaviour. He made the infamous relegation battle comments after the 2nd game of the season, effectively writing the whole season off in mid August. By October it was blatantly obvious he didn't want to be here and had no interest in the club, but he wouldn't resign as his reputation was already in tatters after Man United and Sociedad and the club wouldn't sack him because of the reputation for sacking managers. So we had another 8 months of him going through the motions in full self preservation mode, talking himself up every week and distancing himself from what was going on.

Yep, the club was badly run behind the scenes and Short completely lost interest and pulled the plug once it became obvious we were doomed, but Allardyce and plenty other managers would have kept us up and arguably kicked on. Moyes still spent Ā£25m+ that summer yet turned a decent squad that could have pushed for the top half into relegation fodder. He spent more in millions than he won in points.

I have already agreed Moyes is responsible for the first relegation.

It just feels a stretch to blame him for the second when we had enough quality in the side to be lower mid table in the Championship the following season.

We could go down again next season. But if we did I couldnā€™t bring myself to blame Moyes in the basis that ā€œif the first relegation happened the second and third ones wouldnā€™tā€.

He was disastrous for us. As you say he gave up straight away and never tried to inject any optimism or energy into the club. He just collected his pay cheque, brought some old mates in and we were gone.

He saddled us with shoite that we had to pay off, thus meaning we couldn't buy our way back up....he is singlehandedly responsible for where we are now

He saddled us with shoite that we had to pay off, thus meaning we couldn't buy our way back up....he is singlehandedly responsible for where we are now

The word singlehandly is the only word Iā€™d disagree with.

Short
Byrne
Di Fanti
Congleton
Adam Johnson
Bain
Kone
Djilobodji
Nā€™Dong
Gibson
Grayson
Coleman

The word singlehandly is the only word Iā€™d disagree with.

Short
Byrne
Di Fanti
Congleton
Adam Johnson
Bain
Kone
Djilobodji
Nā€™Dong
Gibson
Grayson
Coleman

Bollocks, when in the Prem we could mask our shoite upper management.....Moyles rafagated us after 2 games.....
No doubt whatsoever we were run shambolically, however, with respect, you haven't got a clue.

The problem here was Ellis Short didn't have a clue how to run a club so kept chucking money at it in the hope something stuck. Most of the time it didn't and he kept sacking managers to give us a short term boost, but the previous season he did find a solution - Allardyce.

Allardyce came in, weeded out the crap and brought in 3 quality signings for relatively little. The team complemented each other perfectly, everyone had a role and we ended the season in brilliant form - not a flash in the pan good run over the last few weeks but consistent performances and results throughout the second half of the season. We finished on a massive high and just needed someone to come in, keep the squad together and maybe add one or two additional signings to kick on.

We had two loanees, M'Vila and Yedlin, who were both available. Yedlin wasn't great but fit the team well and was a perfectly adequate right back - he dropped down to the Championship instead. Moyes brought in Donald Love instead who was horrific, Manquillo on loan who was also terrible, then brought back Billy Jones. Jones had been bombed out for Yedlin the previous season as he was awful but was now first choice right back again.

M'Vila had a brilliant season and was availabile for Ā£7m, instead he signed Ndong for Ā£13.6m. Ndong was rubbish and was subsequently sacked 2 years Iater. M'Vila was desperate to sign and actually turned up at the airport on deadline day.

Rather than keep the squad together he dismantled it, alienated the likes of Khazri, completely mismanaged Kirchhoff (Allardyce had him on a special training programme and subbed him off after 60 minutes every week as he was brilliant when fit, Moyes rushed him back playing two full games in a week and fucked him). Kaboul left for Ā£3.5m despite building an excellent partnership with Kone. Moyes replaced him with Djilobodji for Ā£8m - a joke of a player who he fucked off in January who was also subsequently sacked. He filled the squad with has-beens from Everton who added nothing.

But that's just bad management. What pissed everyone off was his body language and behaviour. He made the infamous relegation battle comments after the 2nd game of the season, effectively writing the whole season off in mid August. By October it was blatantly obvious he didn't want to be here and had no interest in the club, but he wouldn't resign as his reputation was already in tatters after Man United and Sociedad and the club wouldn't sack him because of the reputation for sacking managers. So we had another 8 months of him going through the motions in full self preservation mode, talking himself up every week and distancing himself from what was going on.

Yep, the club was badly run behind the scenes and Short completely lost interest and pulled the plug once it became obvious we were doomed, but Allardyce and plenty other managers would have kept us up and arguably kicked on. Moyes still spent Ā£25m+ that summer yet turned a decent squad that could have pushed for the top half into relegation fodder. He spent more in millions than he won in points.

Bang on the Jock Fookin dinosaur sucked the Fookin life oot of the klerb.....am still raging.....

Last edited:

Back