Moyes mask slipping in the press

It’s going to be unpopular but some of those comments are true ... moyes may be the man In charge but behind the scenes the state of Sunderland has been years in the making. It’s a collaboration of mangers and board level management wrecking the club. It’s not nice to see and I don’t wish it on any club, but blaming Moyes for Sunderland’s downfall is a tad far fetched I feel

The job of a manager is to galvanise the squad, engender a positive attitude and make sure he gets every last ounce of ability and effort from the players at his disposal.
As the article says Allardyce, Poyet, Advocaat etc were appointed when the club were in a perilous position and Moyes came in with a transfer window and a whole season ahead.
He was predicting relegation after 2 games and seemed to throw the towel in from then onwards.

It’s going to be unpopular but some of those comments are true ... moyes may be the man In charge but behind the scenes the state of Sunderland has been years in the making. It’s a collaboration of mangers and board level management wrecking the club. It’s not nice to see and I don’t wish it on any club, but blaming Moyes for Sunderland’s downfall is a tad far fetched I feel

Gan Fook off....said we were on a relegation battle after 2 Fookin games.....Wankor....

Do a bit more research next time. Have a look at our post Jan results the season before. Look at his transfers, their ages, clubs played for etc.

To be fair mate you know absolutely fuck all to say that. Moyes was an absolute disaster

Yes, we might have gone down one year, but the malaise, defeatism and stink he created is still hanging over us today.

Worst manager in our history. And that’s not even hyberbole

Is it shite, the bloke was a f***ing disaster for us, dismantled a squad that allardyce had put together, awful signings. Not signing M'Villa, announcing a relegation battle in August. Blokes a shit house. He certainly contributed to where we now find ourselves

I never said he wasn’t a disaster but looking at the state of the club currently suggests all hasn’t been well for a while. It would be amateurish to blame Moyes. And for what it’s worth I have never liked him because he is so f***ing dull

I never said he wasn’t a disaster but looking at the state of the club currently suggests all hasn’t been well for a while. It would be amateurish to blame Moyes. And for what it’s worth I have never liked him because he is so f***ing dull
Anyone would be silly to say he was solely to blame however there is no denying he played an extremely large role in our relegation that year.

Took over a club that had been in the Premier League for 9 years in Champions League form. Signed ex players Januzaj, McNair, Love, Anichebe, Gibson, Pienaar, Lescott (probably more I've forgotten). It's amateurish not to blame Moyes.

Edit. Forgot Oviedo. Add in shite like N'Dong and Djillibodji and ffs.

Last edited:

I respect your perspective as someone who doesn't support Sunderland but you're wrong. We could have gone down under another manager but Moyes is like a soul sucker. He sucked the life out of the fans with his defeatism and he sucked the life out of the dressing room with his defeatism.

There were strong rumours of bullying in the dressing room, the dressing room being divided and players not wanting to play for the club all because of Moyes' negative and shocking attitude. The defeatism stuck with a lot of the relegated players and Moyes will never be forgiven for it. Grayson, Coleman, Ross, and Parkinson have all failed the club but none of them will be hated for it.

Our failure to get out of league one might not have much to do with Moyes but by god he is responsible for how far we have fallen.

Absolute bollocks.

The comments on that article shows that Moyes still has a bit of a fan following.

You have Everton fans who are just grateful for some level of historical success
Then you have West Ham fans who loathe their owners so much they want to blame them for everything instead of Moyes
You also have the neutrals who read the article and have no understanding of Sunderland and how Moyes managed us.

Wilson taking a bit of a verbal kicking from all angles

I fully blame Moyes for the downward spiral the club is in. His transfer philosophy of “getting the band back together for one last payday” failed spectacularly and we haven’t recovered since.

Fuck off man. The slide started under Moyes....he killed the club. We finished the previous season under Big Sam very well and there was a positivity round the place. Moyes destroyed that in 2 press conferences. If Sam had stayed we'd have finished mid table.
Moyes is 1 of, if not the worst, Sunderland manager in my 40+ yrs watching Sunderland and christ we've had some bad ones.

Back