Moving to the US?

Had family in LA living on the border of redondo and hermosa beach. 2 bed house no garden and about a 15 minute walk to the beach. 5 miles inland directly east was Compton. They paid over a million dollars about 15 years ago. Fuck knows what it would cost now.
Quick look and average house price in California is $750,000. LA $800,000 and Compton $400,000 :eek::)
Visited friend of a friend in their flat in the village / Bowery area of New York. They pay more in rent than my monthly house payment for a flat which no exaggeration could fit in my bedroom. They were so chuffed to have it they were gonna sub let rather than lose the lease!

Visited friend of a friend in their flat in the village / Bowery area of New York. They pay more in rent than my monthly house payment for a flat which no exaggeration could fit in my bedroom. They were so chuffed to have it they were gonna sub let rather than lose the lease!
It’s crazy some of the house prices think San Francisco is pretty bad now too.

It would be a pretty amazing place to live though.

It would be a pretty amazing place to live though.
That’s what I said - as a single lad in my twenties I would have absolutely loved it. As a married old geezer with a bairn I’m much happier where I’m at.
Sometimes I fantasise about owning a tiny shoe box apartment in New York City as a place to stay whenever I visit ... then I remember - that’s what hotels are for!

No different to London and most places in the country in that regard, really. My rent here for a one bed flat is nearly 5 times the cost of the monthly mortgage payments on my mates 3 bed back home.

I'm surprised the yanks bother with small houses. Everything just seems huge.
I am in a small house. 3 bed 2 baths, modest but I like it....
When I lived in the Upper East my 1 bedroom 3rd floor walkup place was $2600 a month - my mortgage now is only $2900 in Jersey

Last edited:
just had the first step in my green card application approved. Not sure how much longer it will take 😂
Chances are it'll take a while. I've been waiting over a year for the interview.
As someone living in the city now I do enjoy it. Everything is on the doorstep, can play football five nights a week if I want, but if I had children I'd want out. In fact, I think when the time comes for kids I'll probably either move to Long Island or to the West Coast.

I do miss the north east. It has a lot of wonderful features. I also pay double for my share of the rent compared to what my brother pays for a house, but you just can't compare the experience. I also think the earning potential here, in my field at least, is so much better. I'd max out at what I started on here.

Chances are it'll take a while. I've been waiting over a year for the interview.

As someone living in the city now I do enjoy it. Everything is on the doorstep, can play football five nights a week if I want, but if I had children I'd want out. In fact, I think when the time comes for kids I'll probably either move to Long Island or to the West Coast.

I do miss the north east. It has a lot of wonderful features. I also pay double for my share of the rent compared to what my brother pays for a house, but you just can't compare the experience. I also think the earning potential here, in my field at least, is so much better. I'd max out at what I started on here.
Enjoy it mate.
I worked with a lass who grew up in Texas but always wanted to live in NYC so she got transferred up there. I was helping her out at a worksite (Columbia Hospital) so I was there for a four day stint once a month for a couple of years. (Great for me!) I really admired the way she’d got herself a group of like-minded mates and was out and about in the city all the time. She knew she wasn’t gonna be there forever so definitely had the mindset that she would make the most of it.
Eventually of course she met a fella and got married. Moved across the river to New Jersey and now has a couple of young bairns but is hoping to either return to Texas or maybe Florida.

Am I too late into the thread to put in a joke? Ahh forget it i'll do it anyway!

Whats the difference between a computer and an American?

The American doesn't have trouble shooting...

🤷‍♂️

Enjoy it mate.
I worked with a lass who grew up in Texas but always wanted to live in NYC so she got transferred up there. I was helping her out at a worksite (Columbia Hospital) so I was there for a four day stint once a month for a couple of years. (Great for me!) I really admired the way she’d got herself a group of like-minded mates and was out and about in the city all the time. She knew she wasn’t gonna be there forever so definitely had the mindset that she would make the most of it.
Eventually of course she met a fella and got married. Moved across the river to New Jersey and now has a couple of young bairns but is hoping to either return to Texas or maybe Florida.
Ha! Are you close to New York then mate? I assumed Hoboken or nearby given the way you spoke.

Mines $2900 for a 6 bed 4 bath with a pool

Moving to Virginia Beach this summer, seeing similarly priced houses at a 5bd 3ba with pool and walking to beach... Hopefully it will be mine to move in to for July.

We'll see you for the play-off games ay Legends then?
He says he has the best beaches in the land on his doorstep, so I'm going to say not these parts (NJ)!
@Tex is in Florida... probably Gulf Coast if he is boasting about the beaches... I'll be there in 3 years mate.

Last edited:
Moving to Virginia Beach this summer, seeing similarly priced houses at a 5bd 3ba with pool and walking to beach... Hopefully it will be mine to move in to for July.

We'll see you for the play-off games ay Legends then?

@Tex is in Florida... probably Gulf Coast if he is boasting about the beaches... I'll be there in 3 years mate.
You'll miss cold, wet May days like today :lol:

Back