Moving to the US?

What short memories we have. She's been in office for literally weeks.

Trump and Pence presided over this disaster for four years. Trump added to it, separating kids from families and putting them in cages.

The Worshippers of the Bloated Orange Man-God don't get to pin this one on the new administration, who have their hands full dealing with the mess they have been landed with.

Kamala Harris is a very nasty piece of work with a history of abuse and caring only of herself and her power trips.

Imo, she (like many a politician) is a functioning sociopath.

Pity Sarah Palin didn't get in, she would have been great.
Yeah, and unlike Kamala Harris I bet she’d have done something about women getting raped in other countries on their way to the southern US border too!

The bloke is an unmitigated moron and every single post of his just provides further evidence of what a sad, pathetic, dribbling moron he is.

It really depends. That's pre-tax income, so where you live is going to have a big influence on that. Federal taxes will be the same, but state and local taxes (let alone non-tax cost of living) matters a ton. Granted, my spouse (no) and I make more than the median by a fair amount, but when we moved from a state with a relatively high state income tax to one with no state income tax, we saved double-digit thousands per year. Even a family on that median household income would save $5k per year moving from a high-tax state to Texas (for example). Hence why so many people move from San Francisco to Seattle.

That's partly because we have to when we're working with Europe. Where I work, I stack European meetings early, often as early as 6. If you're on Pacific time, it's even worse. It's rare to have a US-only meeting before 8:30.

Were those offshore? Pretty nice money if not.

On shore, there was a bit of a bubble in South East Texas (beaumont / port arthur) and far too many jobs around due to massive investments in oil/gas/chemicals so wages went a bit mental

Emigrated to the US from Annfield Plain 40 years ago and have never regretted it. Now live 25 miles south of San Francisco on highway one by Montara beach. Love every minute it. Only issues for me were 2 weeks vacation which I couldn’t handle so I started working for myself and taking a month off every year and the crazy healthcare system where even with insurance you could be only one accident away from bankruptcy. Even now I am on Medicare (over 65 ) and it still costs me 250 dollars a month for full coverage.

Anyone ever tried it? How difficult is it to do these days?
Always wanted to move across and i'm in the midst of thinking fuck it, and doing it, but I understand it's fairly difficult to do so. Has anyone ever done it on here?

Mam and dad used to live in southern California, been many times and always had an affinity with it.

Might still be a pie in the sky idea but it's one of those leap of faith type moves that i'm close to

I'm fortunate enough to be moving to The US in a couple of months as Director of Football at a club just outside Pittsburgh, can't wait to get over and experience life in The US.

It's crazy how difficult it is to get a Visa, even if you have a job offer(s) but if you persist and a bit of luck gets thrown your way, it is attainable.

This will be my 5th attempt in just over 2 years, where I've been offered a job but didn't get going for one reason or another, Covid being the main one. So it's a major relief that I'll finally get going in the summer.

Life is short, if you really want to pursue something go for it.

If you get a job insurance will be through your company. If self employed, you need to buy, but in saying that you pay NI in UK, so cost of insurance is pretty comparable to what you pay in NI contribution.

Am I right in thinking the criticism of US healthcare is based on how is isn't accessible to everyone particularly the poor, as oppose to the actual quality of healthcare?

Because I've always felt if you had the money US healthcare is as good as anywhere in the world, but the problem is 30 million people don't have access to it.

Its just when I hear people say "US healthcare is shit" I wonder what do they mean by that?
I'm fortunate enough to be moving to The US in a couple of months as Director of Football at a club just outside Pittsburgh, can't wait to get over and experience life in The US.

It's crazy how difficult it is to get a Visa, even if you have a job offer(s) but if you persist and a bit of luck gets thrown your way, it is attainable.

This will be my 5th attempt in just over 2 years, where I've been offered a job but didn't get going for one reason or another, Covid being the main one. So it's a major relief that I'll finally get going in the summer.

Life is short, if you really want to pursue something go for it.

Would that be a L1 or an H1B visa? Of course being Irish you'd have access to the green card lottery, but I think your chances are 1% or something so you could be waiting a lifetime.

Last edited:
If you have a low paid job, you likely have low quality cover. Many people in US take low paying jobs just to get insurance, as normally it will cover the whole family. Its okay for basic cover, but if you get seriously I'll, you will likely go bankrupt. I believe that they have to give you lifesaving treatment, but it's the follow up treatment that your may not be covered for.

Sweeping statement. 😂😂
This thread is about moving to the USA. If you move there, it will be to take up a position with a decent salary to support yourself and family, not to be a greeter in Walmart. If self employed you have to prove that you can support yourself, which would include showing income sufficient to afford insurance; so not sure where you are coming from with this.

This thread is about moving to the USA. If you move there, it will be to take up a position with a decent salary to support yourself and family, not to be a greeter in Walmart. If self employed you have to prove that you can support yourself, which would include showing income sufficient to afford insurance; so not sure where you are coming from with this.

Not everyone has a great salary. Some people have families.

Your statement was sweeping. Quite often you'll pay far more in medical insurance when compared to NI.

My family would certainly pay more in medical insurance than we currently pay in NI.

Last edited:
you wouldn't qualify for a visa if you could not afford to support yourself or your family. The cost of insurance would be within that calculation. I have paid NI all of my working life (I still make voluntary contributions), and the cost of insurance is on par with NI contributions.

you wouldn't qualify for a visa if you could not afford to support yourself or your family. The cost of insurance would be within that calculation. I have paid NI all of my working life (I still make voluntary contributions), and the cost of insurance is on par with NI contributions.

The bar isn't set very hard for supporting yourself. It's based on the poverty line.

You're (mostly) wrong mate. How much is medical insurance for the average family?

Back