Moving to Glasgow

MackemRocker

Full Back
Accepted a role up Glasgow working at the clients HQ so will be living up there either in a Hilton/Marriott or Radisson hotel during the week then back for the weekends. Step up from my current role and everything paid for (food, travel, accommodation) so hopefully save a fortune not needing to use the car and go through the tunnel everyday which can go toward either the wedding or honeymoon.

Hoping to get a load of points on my Amex card for the travel and food to use for air miles, then points from the hotel to hopefully put towards the honeymoon hotel.

Anyone else living up there?

Get the radisson its got a nice pool and centre of town. Stopped Hilton off sauchiehall (sp?) street and always a good stop too.

If you can, stay at Blythswood Square instead. Similar price to Radisson but in a better part of town and facilities are much better.

The pool and gym at the radisson are not actually the hotels but shared with a sports direct type health club. It’s not so good.

Accepted a role up Glasgow working at the clients HQ so will be living up there either in a Hilton/Marriott or Radisson hotel during the week then back for the weekends. Step up from my current role and everything paid for (food, travel, accommodation) so hopefully save a fortune not needing to use the car and go through the tunnel everyday which can go toward either the wedding or honeymoon.

Hoping to get a load of points on my Amex card for the travel and food to use for air miles, then points from the hotel to hopefully put towards the honeymoon hotel.

Anyone else living up there?
Try and book your hotels on Hotels.com - Free night to use for every 10 days booked if you set up a rewards account. I've saved a fortune on holidays over the years.

Book hotel via quidco and use an amex like you say.

Hilton Honors - you should get up to Gold nice and quickly. And you'll get a few free stays out of it too.

Other chains probably have similar deals in place, but make sure you take advantage.

Lived up this way all my life - you need any pointers for stuff gimme a shout
cheers fella, ive been up once to see one of me mates who now living the life in his penthouse in spain. think hes coming back in a couple weeks so will be having a catch up with him.
Ive got set up on all the rewards cards so have to book through works system but pop me codes in whichever i choose and adds the points.

Think next week im just going to the Marriott which is where the rest of the team stays so after that week ill see what options are out there but will stick to one place and wrap the points up

Last edited:
If you can, stay at Blythswood Square instead. Similar price to Radisson but in a better part of town and facilities are much better.

The pool and gym at the radisson are not actually the hotels but shared with a sports direct type health club. It’s not so good.
The pool and gym, man. He’ll be in the gutter with his purple tin after a week.

A few Glasgow pubs to whet your whistle....

The Howlin' Wolf in Bath Street is mint:

Just up the road is Slouch which has a cracking selection of craft ales and plays great rock and indie music:

Bath Street has loads of great bars and the Finnieston area of Glasgow is also a superb night out.

I love "The 78" in Finnieston. Its a vegan pub with awesome food and we pop in there every time we are in Glasgow. Our carnivore son loves it too:

Shilling Brewing Company in West St.George Street is a great boozer with its own micro-brewery on site:

Horrible staying in a hotel all week. I once did it for 3 weeks of a 3 month secondment in Leeds. Sacked it off and drove for the rest of the job as I was going stir crazy.

Pink was in there the other week, her crew were in ours (raddison red).
We were staying just across the water at the Premier Inn Pacific Quay one night for an Alter Bridge gig at the Hydro and called into the Crown Plaza for a drink after the gig. Tyson Fury was in there with his entourage. Think he was up there for a Billy Joe Saunders fight. It was before Fury made his comeback so he had a canny kite on him. He was\is huge! Hands like pit shovels.

So today was my final day up Glasgow and actually disappointing to leave and shame the role wasnt longer than the agreed couple months. In the short time gained a hell of a lot of knowledge and worked with the leadership and CEO of the client so that has already been a benefit with several new roles in Edinburgh, Leeds and Manchester already wanting to speak to me.

Thought id give a bit of a review of the places to stay and eat if anyone is considering a visit in one of the main chains.

Hotels:
Radisson Blu
- easily the best out of the bunch overall. great central location right next to the station and modern and best breakfast by a mile (includes standard heated and cold foods but also eggs Benedict, smoked salmon the lot.

Marriott - very dated rooms and crying for an update (entrance is nice but thats it). located right on the edge near the west end so roughly a 15min walk into the centre

Hilton - been their main upper class hilton they have great rooms as youd expect. very nice breakfast and the place itself is very very nice. located right next to the Marriott and mainly so for the surrounding head offices (like mine) but again only a 15min walk into the center.

Hampton by Hilton - Very much a fancy travelodge with rooms very similar but with that little extra feature. Breakfast probably the worst of the bunch, dont even know where its cooked but resembles the school dinner windows youd get your food from and food tasted basic. not all rooms come with safes. this along with the DoubleTree below are located right in the middle slightly north west of the station.

Hilton DoubleTree - street away from the Hampton and aim to be the "in the middle" hilton hotel, not quite standard hilton but much classier than the Hampton however this is where I had most issues. first week there the safe was fauty (low battery) so never got fixed as i wasnt getting into my hotel till after maintenance were finished. This week in a different room and yep same issue with the safe. Plumbing issues too in this room as i turned the shower on, popped into the main room for 10 seconds to get my phone and returned to a flooded floor. cleaner also moved the tv remote so couldnt find it and while searching located the mess under the beds (tub of lip gloss, bottle tops and what looked like a condom wrapper which i kept away from.

Food
So many to choose from but will name some of the best ones we went to.

Buck's Bar - Looking for Buttermilk style chicken the Buck's Bar is the place to be. Food is amazing and the venue had a great american style theme.

Opium is a great oriental style restaurant with great food but more expensive.

La Lanterna - Italian theres a place next to the train station decent priced called La Lanterna and won many awards for their food too.

Mozza - For pizza Mozza was fantastic and traditional stone oven style cooking with many of their ingredients coming from naples itself.

Mexican tapas there is Topolabamba which do a great wide range of mexican tapas options.

Last edited:

Back