Moving Pictures-Rush

I can remember when the UK first heard Rush, OGWT in the 70s, people were waiting for iminent Led Zep album, i just missed Bob Harris intro when the the first few chords to Finding My Way blasted out with some old black and white cartoon playing on the screen, within 15 seconds i knew how important this band would be.

R30 Gig was their best for me .Manchester ,good view ,amazing mix
Two late 80s gigs at Glasgow were just a mush sound wise considering how awesome the Exit stage left era sounds .

Managed to get front row for the R30 Tour at the NEC.
Just an amazing piece of luck that a steward exchanged our 4 tickets for front row. Took me a minute or so the believe him.
My fav band ever. Became really obsessed with them TBH. Great gigs in 78/79 at Newcastle. Managed to meet the band there and got invited inside City Hall for a sound check. I’ve seen them 23 times in total including gigs in USA, Canada and Holland. MP was the last album that I truly loved the first time I heard it. After that, it took me a while to really appreciate their output - especially the synth-heavy albums but there isn’t one album now that I don’t like and usually hear something that I’ve not heard before every time I play their stuff. Clockwork Angels was just great - a return to form and a fab swansong. Great to see that Geddy and Alex look ready to think about new music together. Certainly won’t be Rush though.

Same for me mate.

Thanks for the post, love my music and Zeppelin in particular and Rush have kind of passed my by but have always intended to give them a serious listen. Which album should I start with?

They have a number of compilations....Chronicles, Retrospective 1 ( early stuff ) Retrospective 2 and 3 iirc ...also Time Stand Still compilation iirc.....their live albums are great too .....particularly All the Worlds a Stage

Really, really awful music and band. Never been able to get away with them. Total tripe.
I love the band and have for years but I totally understand people who don`t get them. They just aren`t to everyone`s taste. The funny thing is though, I knew a fair few people who weren`t really into Rock music who did like Rush and who appreciated their incredible musicianship too.

I love the band and have for years but I totally understand people who don`t get them. They just aren`t to everyone`s taste. The funny thing is though, I knew a fair few people who weren`t really into Rock music who did like Rush and who appreciated their incredible musicianship too.
Yeah I like plenty rock but hadn’t really listened to them. The way people I know talk about them I was expecting it to be a cut above and a bit niche but was really surprised when I heard them.

Yeah I like plenty rock but hadn’t really listened to them. The way people I know talk about them I was expecting it to be a cut above and a bit niche but was really surprised when I heard them.
That`s fair enough. They aren`t everyone`s taste. My wife and daughter like the music but just can`t get away with Geddy Lee`s voice. Funny thing is that they progressed so much throughout their career and rarely made the same album twice, that any album that you have picked to listen to will be different from the rest. They defied convention and when everyone was wearing denim, leather and long hair, they wore suits and cut their hair and brought in synthesisers and element of Ska into their music. They lost a few fans along the way with their constant reinvention but gained far more. The constant musical change kept it interesting for me and I`d always greatly anticipate any new album they released. I think a lot of people who speak of them so highly have followed them for a long time so maybe dipping in casually is not the best of ways to get into them.

Not directly relevant but enjoyed this interview -
I really enjoyed the documentary on Netflix , as well as being amazingly talented , what came across is the affection they held for each other and how they bantered on referring to Peart as the newcomer after all those years . Also loved the bit where the waitress wanted Geddy’s autograph, but declined Alex’s , which cracked the 2 of them up. In regard to the original post , it’s Moving Pictures for me closely followed by Farewell to Kings
What was the name of the documentary mate?

Last edited:
The first album's actually very Zeppy. Nowt like any of the rest of their stuff that came later, but interesting nonetheless. :D

Probably not the best starting point to get to know them as a band though.

Grace Under Pressure was the album that got me into Rush. Try starting there maybe?
Don't start there @skullmeister. It's decent enough, but it's not seminal Rush.

2112, Moving Pictures, Farewell to Kings, Permanent Waves. Hemispheres always rates highly as well, but I don't think it's as accessible.

Gold is a pretty excellent 2-disc retrospective - a repackaging of Retrospective 1 (74-80) and Retrospective 2 (81-87). A bit like Floyd's Echoes though, you're perhaps better off knowing some of the songs in their original settings first.
And i think the Peart intro is/was the airport signal code.
Correct - made sure I had it on as I flew in. :cool: Think I ended up listening to it about three times in a row in fact as it seemed to take forever to land. :lol:

Last edited:

Back