Moving House

Had to get a window taken out to get it in. £50.

It's like a 5 minute job? i had to take two windows out to get my sofa in. Straight through the passage into the kitchen, out the kitchen window and back in the back room window.

My main stress was the woman who I was buying off didn't have a clue. She was moving into a new build and didn't get out until after 5pm. The estate agents was shut so we had to get the key off her directly! She has a little ford connect van to move a 3 bed semi, it took her 7 trips from sr6 to chester-le-street. We kept telling her we have to unload, the next in the chain needs into our old house but she really believed they couldn't move in until we were out even though money and contracts had exchanged on the morning. Luckily our buyers were first time buyers and weren't in a rush. It did mean we had to pay for an extra 24 hours of van hire though.

On top of that the house was left filthy. The hob was covered in burnt on food, the garden overgrown, piles of empty designer bags on the floor and thats before we saw the bathroom :-O it clearly hadn't been cleaned since we viewed it.

Other sides solicitors were twats over some wiring certificate that I didn’t have, we paid for an indemnity but for some reason they couldn’t understand that this covered their clients, tried to crash the whole chain over it. Conveyancy is pretty shit legal work so you will tend to get either qualified but low quality solicitors, or unqualified people dealing with the detail.

Other sides solicitors were twats over some wiring certificate that I didn’t have, we paid for an indemnity but for some reason they couldn’t understand that this covered their clients, tried to crash the whole chain over it. Conveyancy is pretty shit legal work so you will tend to get either qualified but low quality solicitors, or unqualified people dealing with the detail.

Odd. My solicitors (as the buyer) have been quite clear it’s my responsibility to have any necessary checks on electrical/gas installations carried out myself, if I want to be confident in them. Even if the seller has current certificates.

Odd. My solicitors (as the buyer) have been quite clear it’s my responsibility to have any necessary checks on electrical/gas installations carried out myself, if I want to be confident in them. Even if the seller has current certificates.

It might have been along the lines of that, in that they would need to time to arrange etc. Either way it was a shitty thing to do at the 11th hour when I’d paid for an indemnity. Even the buyers weren’t bothered

Hate it - but thankfully I won’t be moving again. Like others have said, the solicitors can be a nightmare!

I know problems are unlikely to occur once contracts have been exchanged, but it’s scary how much you can lose.

Solicitors was the #1 reason for us.

Slow as fuck, and gave us no information; most of our contact was through the sellers' estate agent, who were brilliant (Goldfinch).

We actually got a letter yesterday from our solicitor saying they owed us £33, so not all bad news :lol:

To be fair they owed you £83 but they’ve charged you £50 for the letter telling you they owed you money...

Absolutely shit English law doesn't help. Last time we moved our buyers dropped out two days before we were due to exchange contracts, no reasons given, nothing, and obviously after we'd spent a deal of unrecoverable money on solicitors, surveys and so on, and not a penny recoverable, all because people are allowed to be absolute cunts.

Not even other parts of the world, this can't even happen in other parts of the UK, but still we leave it.

It would be a lot better if people had to put a partial deposit down earlier to reduce the messing about. Perhaps 1% when agreement made, 5% more after searches, up to a total of say 10% before contracts are exchanged.

The house sale pack things were a good idea in principle. Each property could have an online repository of all documentation instead of each buyer or seller paying for multiple searches and surveys.

the day before we were due to exchange, turns out the seller (who'd split with his wife years previous) still had her on their deeds so he couldn't actually sell it. we had to arrange a short term tenancy so we could move in until they could sort the sale out as we had tenants moving into our old house the day after we moved out.

Never been part of a chain but moved a couple of times and never found it too bad. The worst part about moving here was mates 'helping' and being clumsy as fuck.

We moved every few year until I was about 13. Probably got used to it. :lol:

Our sale fell through and had to find a new buyer. Luckily the people we were buying off were sound and waited for us. Hopefully go through this time.

My main stress is the mrs is 36 weeks pregnant so both may fall at the same time, when we could have been in a month or so.
Hope it all gets sorted mate.

Back