Moving Home Loaning Furniture

Pudding

Central Defender
Hi all,
Anyone moved house recently and loaned furniture.....?
Coming back to the UK, our furniture will be coming once it gets shipped but we'll not have anything for months....loathed to buy everything new....
Suggestions please folks if you have any
cheers

Hi all,
Coming back to the UK, our furniture will be coming once it gets shipped but we'll not have anything for months....loathed to buy everything new....
cheers

Scrounger.

When I moved in my first house, almost everything were donated by family or cast offs we'd found in the buy/sell/swap in local rag (I.e Facebook these days). I also remember our first shop, was around 300 quid and thought we'd got away with it lightly, once back, realized loads of stuff we'd not thought off, another trip to Tesco's and another 100+ quid lighter.

When I moved in my first house, almost everything were donated by family or cast offs we'd found in the buy/sell/swap in local rag (I.e Facebook these days). I also remember our first shop, was around 300 quid and thought we'd got away with it lightly, once back, realized loads of stuff we'd not thought off, another trip to Tesco's and another 100+ quid lighter.
Getting 2nd hand stuff from people when getting your 1st place was a normality back in the day.
We were glad of it.
2nd hand carpets, tables & chairs, 3 piece suites, sideboards, chest of drawers, cookers, fridges to name a few which were donated by friends/family were always gratefully received and put to great use until new ones could be purchased.
These days, the youngun''s want EVERYTHING brand spanking new from the outset.

got some stuff from dad who just passed away due to covid, but not loads.....hence the asking....no help from family this time unfortunately....
on a different note....whats the general internet speed around the area...where I am its about 11 MB per second.....

British heart foundation and barnados in Sunderland.
Failing that route, I was on FB marketplace the other day for the first time, and people are just giving stuff away, as long as you come pick it up. Also on the Thirsk FB page I'm on, someone just posted they were moving to Thirsk for the first time and asked for any spare stuff, loads of people responded, you'll be surprised how many decent folk there is out there.

Getting 2nd hand stuff from people when getting your 1st place was a normality back in the day.
We were glad of it.
2nd hand carpets, tables & chairs, 3 piece suites, sideboards, chest of drawers, cookers, fridges to name a few which were donated by friends/family were always gratefully received and put to great use until new ones could be purchased.
These days, the youngun''s want EVERYTHING brand spanking new from the outset.
Lucky sod, you had carpets, I was on the underlay for about a year.

Hi all,
cheers
Stick an Ad on Facebook and on Gumtree. List out what you are looking for and why. Would be good to explain what you will do with it after your stuff arrives (charity, etc.)

thanks folks.....all helpful, I'm more than happy to give it back for free....all good

British Heart Foundation looks like its closed at the moment...

soz final question - monthly bills for water, electric, council tax....3 bedroom house (only me and the wife) I'm estimating to be about 300 quid per month? that sound about right....

got some stuff from dad who just passed away due to covid, but not loads.....hence the asking....no help from family this time unfortunately....
on a different note....whats the general internet speed around the area...where I am its about 11 MB per second.....

Internet hasn't reached the UK yet.

If you are in an area where you can get fibre/cable it will be quite a bit faster than that, if not it will probably be slower.
Could you not just buy some cheap stuff from a charity then donate it back when yours arrives?

Do any charity shops still do cheap furniture?

I have got some good value furniture from charity shops, but nothing I would call cheap.

Last edited:
Hi all,
cheers
Loads of free stuff on gumtree including sofas and furniture. People can’t get rid with current tip situation so just want it out of the way

Last edited:
I have got some good value furniture from charity shops, but nothing I would call cheap.
Yeah we looked in the likes of British Heart Foundation and Barnardos in town, and the St Benedict's Hospice place in Ryhope when my mam moved back and needed furniture. They had a few nice bits and pieces in but I wouldn't say they're all that cheap on most stuff.

There's better stuff to be had off eBay and Gumtree. Some stuff I picked up in the car, bigger things we paid a man in a van to pick up.

The place that's now Harrison and Brown in town sometimes have ex display stuff on sale in at the shop entrance too. We got a few years out of some nice leather sofas we paid £100 for.

Back