Moving BACK to the North East

It was more working for Ruffer or Elliot mate!
I do think that the NE could position itself as a Centre for sustainability. You have the wind turbine manufacture in Tynside, Nissan with Leaf production, loads of opportunity for wind/wave, underground gasification potential, poor dales farmland that could be used for bio crops. Some good universities, and hard working MPs.

Ok - one of those was bollocks!

That would be a great plan for the region, would worry that it would draw in the middle class liberal southerners though. Love the idea of bio cropping, always thought we've massive potential as an agricultural area, loads of lush green land, rains plenty, land is often left barren or available cheap.

Meaning what?

Presumably the individuals in question would be seemingly subliminally implying that by them living in London they are above (more cultured, do things the right way) the locals and as such are telling the provincials how it is done (better) in the capital.

It can come come off a bit arrogant and patronising, but you already know this, so why are you asking?

Don’t know tbh mate .

They see it as a badge of honour I think and like to tell everyone about them working /living down London .

Their is two on for me atm who love to give it the London crack .
I agree with you. I only see it in London based northerners. Not all of them I will add. But I have seen that sort of “arrogance” in hardly any other ex-pat northerners

Oh and there are more than 2 on here - I just completely ignore them. Not MT by the way.

You can fuck right off

I think he already has mate.

Don’t know tbh mate .

They see it as a badge of honour I think and like to tell everyone about them working /living down London .

Are you sure you're not just a bit envious of them that they've had the bottle to get work down there rather than being shit scared to leave their comfort zone?

Last edited:
In 30 years, I've gone, come back, then gone again. Now thinking about coming back again, probably to retire / downsize maybe open a small business.

I remember my dad, nearly 30 years ago, asking my then new girlfriend (now wife) where she 'belonged', a question which perplexed her greatly. It's a peculiarly north eastern expression and I've come to realise, after so many years away, just how insightful it really is.
Belong actually covers how I feel about the north east. I feel most at home here. It's where I belong.

Don’t know tbh mate .

I'm here because I need to be here mate. I can assure you if I could live and work elsewhere I would. Not that London is a bad place, it's really not. My 2y old loves the park and heath and museums. I really don't mind here apart from the cost and I'm half an hour from work.

I don't want to settle here though even if I've been here since 03.

I've volunteered for a move to Paris or frankfurt

I'm here because I need to be here mate. I can assure you if I could live and work elsewhere I would. Not that London is a bad place, it's really not. My 2y old loves the park and heath and museums. I really don't mind here apart from the cost and I'm half an hour from work.

I don't want to settle here though even if I've been here since 03.

I've volunteered for a move to Paris or frankfurt
It’s the Audi driver analogy MT. Most Audi drivers aren’t arseholes but most arseholes drive an Audi. I honestly don’t know why some London based northerners go on like arrogant arseholes - but they do. My ex partner was a perfect example. Think the world starts and ends in London.

It was a combination of things really, house prices, a bit of nostalgia, family reasons. Don't get me wrong i'm not knocking the place I just think my heart is elsewhere now, the North East feels a bit like my past, not really what I was hoping for.

^^^
Can deffo empathise with this, I was away nearly 20 years and came back. I'm happy enough here but preferred it elsewhere. Enjoying being at the match for the first time in a while though :lol::lol::lol:

It’s the Audi driver analogy MT. Most Audi drivers aren’t arseholes but most arseholes drive an Audi. I honestly don’t know why some London based northerners go on like arrogant arseholes - but they do. My ex partner was a perfect example. Think the world starts and ends in London.
I'm honest. I'm here because I need to be but I'm lucky to do what I do. I'd rather a simpler life but I'm now in the system. I'm going for an interview tomorrow and the money is life changing but I'd do the same job for half the amount if I could do it in the South of France

Then surely you've already earned a pretty penny, you wouldn't consider investing your earnings in your own business away from London? You could perhaps do something that doesn't rot your soul while you're at it. ;)
See y next post

See my comment above - as an ex pat who has lived in London and then went even further afield.

I don't disagree with you. There is definitely a 'type' who isn't from London but moves there and looks down their nose at everyone back home.

Just like there's a type who is shit scared to leave their home town but will slag off everyone else who does and call them arrogant etc in order to deflect their own insecurities.

Then there's spot on people like me and you ;)

I don't disagree with you. There is definitely a 'type' who isn't from London but moves there and looks down their nose at everyone back home.

Just like there's a type who is shit scared to leave their home town but will slag off everyone else who does and call them arrogant etc in order to deflect their own insecurities.

Then there's spot on people like me and you ;)
Well I agree with that mate.

Although I am not so certain about you!

I'm honest. I'm here because I need to be but I'm lucky to do what I do. I'd rather a simpler life but I'm now in the system. I'm going for an interview tomorrow and the money is life changing but I'd do the same job for half the amount if I could do it in the South of France

See y next post

Sounds like you've already sold your soul mate. You've been down there since 2003, I imagine you're longing to get out of such a soul sucking game (and locale) but have family commitments that see you maintain your status quo. If you said to the missus, we're packing up and heading north for a simpler life on a modest wage, how would she react?

Back