Moving BACK to the North East

I have recently bought a house in the NE - can’t see me ever moving there permanently. Love a visit but then it gets quickly depressing.

Can I ask where you currently live and what you miss when you're back in the NE?

I'm trying to figure out if I would miss the same things when I eventually come back up.

I have recently bought a house in the NE - can’t see me ever moving there permanently. Love a visit but then it gets quickly depressing.
Ive done the same thing... its not a permanent move. And for the poster below... I miss the coast... I miss the North in general... if I do come back perm it would probably be up towards Alnwick or further up

Can I ask where you currently live and what you miss when you're back in the NE?

I'm trying to figure out if I would miss the same things when I eventually come back up.
I’m in Switzerland.

I love the friendliness of people in the NE - go into any pub and you get in a conversation. I also like people’s humour and of course the prices.

The downside for me is that a huge proportion of people just seem absolutely defeated by life. It’s like a huge sadness. Maybe it’s just in certain areas as I took my daughter to Kyren a couple of years ago. We had spent some time in Bishop and Wallsend and she said “why are people here(Kynren)happier than people elsewhere”

Been away 10 years and can't see myself ever shifting back - lack of jobs, shit weather and the place looks more and more run down and dirty every time I go back for a visit
I liked this - but maybe I should have unliked if you know what I mean.

I’m in Switzerland.

I love the friendliness of people in the NE - go into any pub and you get in a conversation. I also like people’s humour and of course the prices.

The downside for me is that a huge proportion of people just seem absolutely defeated by life. It’s like a huge sadness. Maybe it’s just in certain areas as I took my daughter to Kyren a couple of years ago. We had spent some time in Bishop and Wallsend and she said “why are people here(Kynren)happier than people elsewhere”

Oh I see what you mean. The NE has the highest rate of Male suicide in the country and I wouldn't attempt to try and unpick that mess but it's probably a lot to do with economic and social factors.

There's a lot I miss about the NE but mainly just a feeling of being home or belonging that's hard to put into words. I think the NE offers a lot outside of the cities, we have lovely coast and countryside but I guess if you're a "London type" you might require more than what is on the doorstep.

Oh I see what you mean. The NE has the highest rate of Male suicide in the country and I wouldn't attempt to try and unpick that mess but it's probably a lot to do with economic and social factors.

There's a lot I miss about the NE but mainly just a feeling of being home or belonging that's hard to put into words. I think the NE offers a lot outside of the cities, we have lovely coast and countryside but I guess if you're a "London type" you might require more than what is on the doorstep.
Where do you live now?

No I live in a village of a 1000 people.

I would actually like to go back and try to do something in terms of creating opportunities- I will be lucky enough to pack in just past 50 and have a few ideas - but I know I will have to time limit that. Maybe 5 years.

I've been living away for the last 5 years and have developed a hankering to come back for the last 12 months or so, missing the craic, the nippy air and just the concept or feeling of being home. Wondering if there are any RTG success stories of coming home?

I moved back in 2000 after spending ten years in London. I don't regret it at all, wouldn't want to have raised a family down there.

Near Cambridge, lived in Ireland before that.
What draws you back? Family? I mean I wouldn't move back. Région and people are lovely but there's nothing for me there. Weather is bad enough here and I can't do my job in the NE.

Romantic beach walks and going to druridge Bay are all very nice but not when it's pissing with rain and you're at work 5 days a week.

Same here in London mind. 70% of your week is working so it's how you want to spend your free time. I'm glad I have a park and heath on my doorstep otherwise I'd go barmy. I want to move but I don't know where to. I just know I won't go somewhere colder now.

I do miss home but not sure if I miss home home or my memories of home when life was simpler as a youth. I've never been a grown up in the NE.

I like the whole thing Ruffer is doing in Bishop Vegas. And how John Elliot has set EBAC up. But ideally I would like to do something around pulling people together to create a sustainability hub in the NE. Universities, industry, government etc.

That's a massive job, unless you've an endless pot of gold it makes me sad to say it's nigh on impossible, I'd applaud your ambition though. Sunderland, specifically, doesn't have the the right jobs, or enough of them to sustain a populous that can pump back in the disposable income to see it flourish. That is going to be one of the main barriers for me getting home, I'm paid around the national average here in Cambridgeshire (£30K) but looking at the job market back home similar jobs pay significantly less.

What draws you back? Family? I mean I wouldn't move back. Région and people are lovely but there's nothing for me there. Weather is bad enough here and I can't do my job in the NE.

Romantic beach walks and going to druridge Bay are all very nice but not when it's pissing with rain and you're at work 5 days a week.

Same here in London mind. 70% of your week is working so it's how you want to spend your free time. I'm glad I have a park and heath on my doorstep otherwise I'd go barmy. I want to move but I don't know where to. I just know I won't go somewhere colder now.

I do miss home but not sure if I miss home home or my memories of home when life was simpler as a youth. I've never been a grown up in the NE.

It's hard to explain to be honest, yes of course family and old friends but mostly I feel like I'm a North Eastern person and that the NE is my home. I understand that some people do not feel like that and as such cannot really understand that feeling.

Where I am in Cambridgeshire is lovely, I'm on the edge of the countryside, I can literally see a lake from from balcony and it's close enough to hoy a stone in (if i wanted to, wouldn't want to upset the neigbours though), but I don't feel like this is my place forever. There's definitely a nostalgic element and I'm sure there would be things that would get up my nose in terms of people, but I understand and sympathise with the people more than others because I understand why it's that way.

Last edited:
That's a massive job, unless you've an endless pot of gold it makes me sad to say it's nigh on impossible, I'd applaud your ambition though. Sunderland, specifically, doesn't have the the right jobs, or enough of them to sustain a populous that can pump back in the disposable income to see it flourish. That is going to be one of the main barriers for me getting home, I'm paid around the national average here in Cambridgeshire (£30K) but looking at the job market back home similar jobs pay significantly less.
It was more working for Ruffer or Elliot mate!
I do think that the NE could position itself as a Centre for sustainability. You have the wind turbine manufacture in Tynside, Nissan with Leaf production, loads of opportunity for wind/wave, underground gasification potential, poor dales farmland that could be used for bio crops. Some good universities, and hard working MPs.

Ok - one of those was bollocks!

It’s because they are acting :)

It's hard to explain to be honest, yes of course family and old friends but mostly I feel like I'm a North Eastern person and that the NE is my home. I understand that some people do not feel like that and as such cannot really understand that feeling.

Where I am in Cambridgeshire is lovely, I'm on the edge of the countryside, I can literally see a lake from from balcony and it's close enough to hoy a stone in (if i wanted to, wouldn't want to upset the neigbours though), but I don't feel like this is my place forever. There's definitely a nostalgic element and I'm sure there would be things that would get up my nose in terms of people, but I understand and sympathise with the people more than others because I understand why it's that way.
I think you have to separate nostalgia from reality. Where would you live?

I think you have to separate nostalgia from reality. Where would you live?

Definitely. I've been thinking about this for the last 18 months (maybe more on a subconscious level) and have come to the conclusion that there's an element of nostalgia to the draw of coming home but more than that, I belong there and all annoyances are likely due to social and economic factors, which is something I am deeply sympathetic to.

As for where to live, I like living outside of town to be honest or somewhere a bit quieter.

Something like this is affordable and pleasant, right on the river aswell.
Check out this property for sale on Rightmove!

All the lads who I know who have lived/worked a long time down the smoke and have come home give it “the London crack” constantly .
“They do it like this down London “
“When I was down London “
“Different world down London “

Etc etc .

Back