Moving back Norf

Possibly moving to Paris because of leave winning. Sounds a right result to me.
Maybe it's itchy feet or just we'd have a better support network there. I was considering a move to Genève pré Brexit tbh. Not unhappy in London I just think we'd be happier elsewhere. Very much losing faith in the leadership of here too

Okay if you are in a decent paid job , fantastic if your lass is in one too. Its got everything you need, its just the lack of jobs, low paid jobs and the public transport ( in some areas ) that is the only problem. There are two North Easts though, living in an urban area with decent pubs, schools, restaurants , transport etc is totally different to living in a village like Horden , Craghead or Trimdon.
Lowest pay at my place is 25k, not bad for non skilled.

I love working in London like

Much better living here though.

If I lived in London and had a bunch of equity in my house I would quit the rat race and move north

We have a friend who moved from Bromley to Liskeard. For the price of the next size up house in Bromley, she's bought 5 lovely holiday cottages and now runs her own business down there. Two kids (8 and 6) and they go to the local school with about 10 other kids. Go to the beach after school, or run around the woods. Looks idyllic, and she doesn't regret it, but she says she does miss the diversity of London - everyone else there is just like her and she worries what effect that will have on the kids.

It's a bit quiet for my liking mind, but we love to visit them. Boys loved the beach when we were there a couple of weeks ago.

If you could get the same job you do now elsewhere in the country (NE, or otherwise), same salary etc would you move?
It’s not for everyone and it did take some getting used to but you wouldn’t get me living anywhere else at this moment. Where’s your friend bought? There were loads of cottages sold near pelynt recently and a friend sold a range in herodsfoot a few years ago

If I was rich like a footballer I would rather live in London than up here
I'd enjoy all the entertainment, nice restaurants, shopping- loads going on every night of the week.

But I'm not rich so I am better off up north where I can own my own property.

It's shit let's be honest. Flew home this morning leaving blazing sun and 27 degrees to a grey miserable pissing down 10 at Gatwick. Heating on now to get the house back to temp. Bored of this shit now

I've done 7 overseas assignments noo......and can't handle this shoite anymore, kids in the house all weekend, lived in Italy and never in the fookin house all year round.....

For the last 15 years, I have spent a huge chunk of my time working in London and I love it. That said, and even when I have been offered relocation, I have never fancied uprooting the family.

Ulimately, our lifestyle would suffer.

Mind, I’m still gutted I never got my move to the USA a few years back. I was offered Dubai and said no

Any of the Cockney Mackems cashed in the equity and done it?

Regrets?
Did it a long time ago and never regretted it. Well, not too often.:)

For the last 15 years, I have spent a huge chunk of my time working in London and I love it. That said, and even when I have been offered relocation, I have never fancied uprooting the family.

Ulimately, our lifestyle would suffer.

Mind, I’m still gutted I never got my move to the USA a few years back. I was offered Dubai and said no
I did it when my son was 2 and daughter not yet born. I think if I'd left it later I'd never have done it, for the reasons you say there.

Last edited:

Back