Moving back Norf

6 years now and I miss living in London as much as I ever did :confused:
I’ve lived down here years and have no intention to ever move back north.

I can get to London on the train in an hour.
f***ing hate the place and give me the Countryside and place I live any day.
No shop in the village, poor lighting and a pub that opens only when the landlord feels like it.
Neighbours are horses that wind the dog up. Sleep is broken by all sorts of wildlife and you can sit in the garden and not see one other human being.
Paradise. Me the dog and the tame wild birds.
Would drive me mad, that. I’m a total city person, I could never live in the countryside. Each to their own.

Last edited:
I’ve lived down here years and have no intention to ever move back north.

Would drive me mad, that. I’m a total city person, I could never live in the countryside. Each to their own.

Exactly mate and the way it should be.
My view if I want noise and people I go to it.
Otherwise after work and dealing with all that shit I drive up my drive and cut the World off. Surrounded by nature and trees. Walk the dog reminisce and switch off.
Best when I am alone f***ing worzel gummidge I bet I sound like to you :)

The issues mentioned about opportunities for kids are mirrored down here to the NE. There’s a saying that anyone down here with any get up and go has got up and left. It’s not as bad as previous generations ( just like the NE) but opportunities as less no matter how you fluff it up.
It’s quality of life for me, we left London 18 yrs ago and toyed with moving up. Wife’s a Londoner but didn’t feel tied. Instead of moving up we moved down, daughters now in Bristol and I doubt she will be back and she only went last weekend :)
We have a friend who moved from Bromley to Liskeard. For the price of the next size up house in Bromley, she's bought 5 lovely holiday cottages and now runs her own business down there. Two kids (8 and 6) and they go to the local school with about 10 other kids. Go to the beach after school, or run around the woods. Looks idyllic, and she doesn't regret it, but she says she does miss the diversity of London - everyone else there is just like her and she worries what effect that will have on the kids.

It's a bit quiet for my liking mind, but we love to visit them. Boys loved the beach when we were there a couple of weeks ago.

That's the point though. Equivalent roles are unavailable otherwise the housing costs would not be vastly different
If you could get the same job you do now elsewhere in the country (NE, or otherwise), same salary etc would you move?

We have a friend who moved from Bromley to Liskeard. For the price of the next size up house in Bromley, she's bought 5 lovely holiday cottages and now runs her own business down there. Two kids (8 and 6) and they go to the local school with about 10 other kids. Go to the beach after school, or run around the woods. Looks idyllic, and she doesn't regret it, but she says she does miss the diversity of London - everyone else there is just like her and she worries what effect that will have on the kids.

It's a bit quiet for my liking mind, but we love to visit them. Boys loved the beach when we were there a couple of weeks ago.

If you could get the same job you do now elsewhere in the country (NE, or otherwise), same salary etc would you move?
Probably not no. I'm absolutely pig sick of shit weather. Just had a week in corsica breakfast, lunch and dinner outside.

I've volunteered for a love to Paris if needed over Brexit too to be honest.

Why not?

Fair enough. The U.K. weather is a bit iffy like. Suppose it’s marginally better in London.
It's shit let's be honest. Flew home this morning leaving blazing sun and 27 degrees to a grey miserable pissing down 10 at Gatwick. Heating on now to get the house back to temp. Bored of this shit now

Back