Moving a Banksy

The artwork has been sold for a six figure sum. Who sold it? Did Banksy buy and own the garage that the artwork was sprayed onto? If not then presumably the garage owner whoever they may be is/was the owner of the art. What's the crack?
The owner of the wall must own the work of art. It's his/her wall that was vandalised/enhanced.

This. Banksy clearly has stated what he does is illegal. He's taking the piss out of the very culture and society that idolises his criticism of it. Look at the self shredding picture.

So yes people can do with them what they like. The whole point is that the value of art is only that which society places upon it. As such its hypocritical to try and impose rules and structure on this.
Well said.
And tbf the banksy lot aren’t fooling anyone now, the whole art world know who they are so they are only fooling the buyers.

Don’t see how they can move / dismantle the damn thing without buggering it up completely.
Something of a volte face when we consider how many decent areas have been visually destroyed by endless crappy graffiti

It's blatant. His video was called exit through the gift shop ffs. :lol:. Yet they are still selling for millions. It's become the emperors new clothes.
I think that might have been a comment on how institutions make money from other peoples' work.
I went to Ian Hislop's 'Protest' exhibition at the British Museum last week, and of course you exit through the gift shop:evil:. One of the items, marked down from £3.99 to £1.99, is a replica of this.
British Museum on Twitter
I was conflicted whether to buy it or not, (plus side, funny, cheap, souvenir of a good day; minus side, paying for a 'Banksy' to people who he had pranked) but left it. I like a bit of controversy!

I once went to an exhibition in the Guggenheim, where, to make a point about art, the artist paid 40,000 on a series of empty rooms and didn't put anything in it. The queue was out the door.
:)
Check out 'The Painted Word' by Tom Wolfe. Done in 1975, it analyses the corrupt relationship between artists, galleries and auction houses to fleece gullible rich idiots. I don't see how Banksy fits into this system.
Unlike Hurst, whose 'For the Love of God' diamond skull looked like it wasn't going to recoup its £23m cost of production, so he (allegedly) organised a consortium to buy it at auction for £50m, thus keeping the market buoyant for his work. Imagine if it went for half what it cost to make? Every Hurst owner would be panicking, and his new stuff might just be seen for the dross that it actually is.
Banksy is all about subverting this nonsense. They should leave it where he(?) put it.

Last edited:
This. Banksy clearly has stated what he does is illegal. He's taking the piss out of the very culture and society that idolises his criticism of it. Look at the self shredding picture.

So yes people can do with them what they like. The whole point is that the value of art is only that which society places upon it. As such its hypocritical to try and impose rules and structure on this.
Very well articulated.

Loads of gripfil attached to boards on the other side of the garage wall , knock bricks out around the painting and move the boards - sorted

If he's some sort of social justice styled warrior the ponce hasn't been and shared his wealth up north where it's poor. Banksy doesn't care about us, fuck him !

The artwork has been sold for a six figure sum. Who sold it? Did Banksy buy and own the garage that the artwork was sprayed onto? If not then presumably the garage owner whoever they may be is/was the owner of the art. What's the crack?

Yep the garage owner owns it, not Rob Del Naja. He can do with it what he wants.

At least with other artists you get some sort of skill and personality in the piece you buy. Stencilling is a fraud in itself.
The painting that shredded will be worth more now that it hit the mainstream media.

He doesn't just do stencil art, he does proper paintings (like Monkey Parliament) and installation art too.

Yep the garage owner owns it, not Rob Del Naja. He can do with it what he wants.

A few of us at work were thinking of chipping in and getting some of Rob’s stuff in case it was him. But then we decided that if the art community knew who Banksy was, yet Rob’s stuff was still affordable, then Rob probably wasn’t Banksy.

Back