Mountain Daisy

Shame, had my first pint in the Villiers and my first sexual encounter was with a lass whose parents ran the Black Bull, all my childhood memories are being bulldozed. :)

If the Beefeater was the pub opposite St. Marks Church I'm almost sure it was called The Black Bull. Anyone remember the Rose and Crown on High Street? Near Blacketts, the store that used tubes to pass cash up to the office. Cool as owt back in the day.
Also had first pint in Villiers sure it was 1/7 .Went to day release Villers St collage older lad took me for first pint who I knew from school and was always leader of gang (still is)only have one picture of Me at time 15/16.when people look at it now all say the same “You had a right baby face”But because I was with gang boss still got served
The Beefeater was ran by one of Teds many drinking parters he been in subs in war think he was called Charlie? My dad always called the Beefeater the Beehive

I could see it having a bit of a chance if it was similar to the isis, with the layout and features it’s got a head start. If they give it a lick of paint and sell competitively priced fostaz history will repeat itself.
How can Mountain daisy be similar to the Isis the mountain Daisy has hardly been Altered since it was built Isis was completely guttered the late 70s all the original features ripped out in the name of progress I think at the time it went under the name of Livingstones then it went into decline then Isis reinvented itself. It’s no more than a fake pub The same as you would find in a theme park

How can Mountain daisy be similar to the Isis the mountain Daisy has hardly been Altered since it was built Isis was completely guttered the late 70s all the original features ripped out in the name of progress I think at the time it went under the name of Livingstones then it went into decline then Isis reinvented itself. It’s no more than a fake pub The same as you would find in a theme park
Whilst I really like the ISIS this is true like. Nowt wrong with it mind.

You missed out the Free Gardeners, Teds, The Cottage and Sweaty Betty's (Landsdown).
There was a place called Blondes or Marilyns or summet like that in the early 80s at one point iirc. Was it a converted club or summet? Around the Railway Tavern area on HHilton Rd. didnt last long iirc. Usual chrome n mirrors 80s nonsense with wine bar aspirations.
The problem today is the youngens don’t have the closing at 11 thing to take into account.

Back when that was an issue you were out pretty early and would do the Hylton Road crawl and would find bars busy early doors.

That trade is lost now with the change in habits, probably forever, so it’s very difficult for pubs not in city centres to have a good turnover making them successful.

Well that’s my take on things.
10:30 in Sunderland.

Last edited:
There was a place called Blondes or Marilyns or summet like that in the early 80s at one point iirc. Was it a converted club or summet? Around the Railway Tavern area on HHilton Rd. didnt last long iirc. Usual chrome n mirrors 80s nonsense with wine bar aspirations.

10:30 in Sunderland.

From the late 80’s as well?

From the late 80’s as well?
Went from 10:30 to 12 hour opening in the early 90s iirc. I’m sure that was 11am-11pm. Not sure when the gloves came off and it seemed like owt was allowed mind but there was a few years of 11-11 only.
It used to drive me garrity coming back from London for a bank holiday weekend and nightclubs not serving alcohol or allowing dancing until midnight ffs. Sunday’s shutting at 10:00PM anarl. Backward society ffs.

Went from 10:30 to 12 hour opening in the early 90s iirc. I’m sure that was 11am-11pm. Not sure when the gloves came off and it seemed like owt was allowed mind but there was a few years of 11-11 only.
It used to drive me garrity coming back from London for a bank holiday weekend and nightclubs not serving alcohol or allowing dancing until midnight ffs. Sunday’s shutting at 10:00PM anarl. Backward society ffs.

Licensing act 1988

1988 was when pubs went started to open from 11 to 11. 2005 was when it went from 11 to 11 to anything goes, open at 7am, shut at 6am etc

It was 10:30 marra.

Back