Motorpoint

Used the birtley one a few year ago. Pretty much the same experience. Bloke and manager were great with us. Would definately use them again. Just get the admin fee knocked off the price/added to your part ex offer.

I was told they get a lot of imported cars by another garage. Might not be true but something to check. Wouldnt bother me anyway but I think resale prices can be lower.

Bought a car from them a year or so ago. No hassle, price on screen is what you pay, decent price for part ex. Only thing that wound me up, is the admin fee they add on. I think they all do it but it really bugs me, I said I was sticking an admin fee on the car I was selling them but they weren’t having it.
It's optional too.
Used the birtley one a few year ago. Pretty much the same experience. Bloke and manager were great with us. Would definately use them again. Just get the admin fee knocked off the price/added to your part ex offer.

I was told they get a lot of imported cars by another garage. Might not be true but something to check. Wouldnt bother me anyway but I think resale prices can be lower.
They were canny at Birtley when I bought my car. Gave me a free cuppa and bacon sandwich too.

Last edited:
Last car I got was 200 quid a month more expensive ( 200 quid!!!) direct from the dealer than online. This was after they had said they would price match etc.

The bloke and his manager then started getting arsey with me as I said that was a ridiculous amount to pay for the same motor. They reckoned the time and graft they had put in with test drives, being showed how to use and set up the features and the personal touch of being able to call them if anything went wrong made it value for money. Turned a bit awkward as I laughed and asked if they were being serious, they got up and walked away from the table and said fine but don't come crying to us if anything goes wrong

Surely it’s only optional if you don’t want to buy the car.

It says it's optional. I couldn't be arsed to argue over £99 though when the deal was good.
This is what it says on the website:

All prices exclude Road Fund Licence and a First Registration Fee at the current rate where applicable. A Pre-Delivery Fee of £99 (optional) includes HPI Certificate, PDI, Service (if required) and valet

Went in today looking for a used car. Liked the place straight away. Bloke said there’s your cars biggest here, medium size over there and smaller ones over there. Have a look around details on the windscreen and if there’s anything takes your fancy I’m over here. I won’t hassle you.

Really liked that approach but what’s thrown me is there is no negotiation on price. He said that’s the price end of. Which is exactly what I’ve always wanted from a car dealership but now that it’s happened I’m thrown by it 🤣🤣

Anyone else used them? Did you get the same‘no haggle’ price from the off? I’m happy with it and will probably buy it tomorrow but wanted to check with thewise old SMB.

I’m expecting Brad Pitt to play me in the movie.

I put a deposit on a car I'd been looking for (reasonably difficult to find the spec and model I was after).

The Castleford Motorpoint wouldn't let me see it as it hadn't been through prep but I was to view it the following weekend and drive it away the same day.

The geezer phoned me on the Friday to tell me it had been sent to Burnley by accident and would likely be 10 days before it came back.

Told them to poke it and bought similar for mare money at the local franchise dealer.

He gave the impression he couldn't care less.

I'm getting my next car in a few months, It'll be from them or Cazoo.
I have 15k to spend, I'm currently undecided between a Civic or a Golf.
I like the idea that Cazoo drop your car off and you have 14 days and 200 miles to decide whether you want to keep it.
If you decide it's not for you, they just come and pick it up at no charge.
I also like how they show you photos of any imperfections, no matter how slight on the website.
I've heard only good things about companies.

It says it's optional. I couldn't be arsed to argue over £99 though when the deal was good.
This is what it says on the website:

All prices exclude Road Fund Licence and a First Registration Fee at the current rate where applicable. A Pre-Delivery Fee of £99 (optional) includes HPI Certificate, PDI, Service (if required) and valet
I had a quick look. Makes it almost pointless then. I’d walk away over an optional fee if they refused to drop it.

Petty I know but there’s no car they’d have that I’d want that badly.
I'm getting my next car in a few months, It'll be from them or Cazoo.
I have 15k to spend, I'm currently undecided between a Civic or a Golf.
I like the idea that Cazoo drop your car off and you have 14 days and 200 miles to decide whether you want to keep it.
If you decide it's not for you, they just come and pick it up at no charge.
I also like how they show you photos of any imperfections, no matter how slight on the website.
I've heard only good things about companies.
Look at Cinch too (pronounced Sinch) which is BCA. Mix of their own stock and dealer partner stock. Same principle of purely online, free delivery, 14 day money back guarantee etc.

Last edited:
I had a quick look. Makes it almost pointless then. I’d walk away over an optional fee if they refused to drop it.

Aye. I had already got an extra £300 on the part ex for taking a warranty which I then cancelled.

I too arrogantly said this then realised I could I fuck find the same car, spec and mileage even f***ing close. Anyway in the uk.

so grew the fuck up and bought it, and as previously said pleased I did as after service was like something not invented in terms of car dealerships.
Btw referring to motorpoint

Last edited:
The negotiations are the best bit about buying a car. If resolved successfully you gets years of satisfaction - if done poorly you will be full of loathing every time your useless backside lowers itself into the drivers seat.

You need to be prepared to walk away from lots of cars and be flexible with how you pay. Cash, lease, personal loan etc.

Oh and don’t try to be their friend. You’ll most probably never see the sales person again. That means win/win negotiations don’t apply.

You need to win not them.

Two cars from birtley branch, superb service. Love there style as well.

bought a 2 year old jag xe, clutch went after 4 months, took to jag at houghton who were absolute aresholes, wouldn’t entertain unless I paid 600 quid a gear box dismantle to understand route cause Blah blah. Car had 10k miles ffs

went back to motopoint a week later brand new clutch, 2500 grand of work....nee drama at all.

superb.
2500 grand? (That's 2.5 million by the way) for a clutch replacement? Seriously?
A few years ago, we went to Bristol Street Motors to look for a little runaround for the Mrs.

Found a really reasonable little Ford Fusion. Went to ask for a look inside, and this snotty little twat demanded to know our details to put in the computer before we could even have a look. "I know mate, its crap but its company policy. you know just in case you were to drive off with it"
I asked exactly how he thought we might drive off with it, when it was boxed in and behind a fence "I dont make the rules mate"
But she liked the car, so we filled in his form and looked at the car.
Wife decided it maybe wasnt for her ("Didn't feel right") so we left it at that.

BSM rang me every day for a fortnight, asking if we had decided on the car. Every time I said it wasn't we werent interested, we got hard sell from them. "Oh, well if its more space to put stuff in you need, I've got a C-Max in today" or "I understand you looked at the Fusion and it wasn't your thing, well I've been thinking... maybe you'd like this Mazda that's just come in... its a......"

Never know hard sell anything like it. Never been in Bristol Street Motors since.

BSM in Peterlee did the exact same to me. First time we went the salesman was ok, about what you expect. The 2nd time we went up the bloke was an utter dickhead.
As soon as they start demanding all my personal data, I'm immediately put off and my interest wanes.

The entire time I'm in a car dealership, there's a clock ticking of how much I'm prepared to put up with their shit. The more they bother me, the faster I leave.

And yes, I got spammed to absolute fuck for months afterwards. I raised a complaint in the end. Its f***ing illegal to do that!

Last edited:
2500 grand? (That's 2.5 million by the way) for a clutch replacement? Seriously?

BSM in Peterlee did the exact same to me. First time we went the salesman was ok, about what you expect. The 2nd time we went up the bloke was an utter dickhead.
As soon as they start demanding all my personal data, I'm immediately put off and my interest wanes.

The entire time I'm in a car dealership, there's a clock ticking of how much I'm prepared to put up with their shit. The more they bother me, the faster I leave.

And yes, I got spammed to absolute fuck for months afterwards. I raised a complaint in the end. Its f***ing illegal to do that!
Just give them a phone number of someone you dont like :)

Am ignorant and impatient with people at the best of times, so car sales patter just irritates

Buying a new car should be class. But its often just shit
Buying most things is a total pain in the arse.
You can't even trust big name brand anymore, as they've been bought and sold by hedge funds who couldn't give a fuck about long-term reputations.

Two cars from birtley branch, superb service. Love there style as well.

bought a 2 year old jag xe, clutch went after 4 months, took to jag at houghton who were absolute aresholes, wouldn’t entertain unless I paid 600 quid a gear box dismantle to understand route cause Blah blah. Car had 10k miles ffs

went back to motopoint a week later brand new clutch, 2500 grand of work....nee drama at all.

superb.

Did you pay the 2,500? Because buying a 2 year old car with 10k miles on and having the clutch go 4 months in isn’t a ringing endorsement for Motorpoint!

Back