Motorhoming through France

If you can afford the outlay you would be better off buying one, keep it for a year and do loads, then sell.
Doubt you would lose 2 grand and would have a year's worth of fun. They hold value well.

Buy second hand of course.
As I generally haven’t a pot to piss in and have zero savings, I recon this, although likley a sound financial way of doing it, is in no way possible.

I do have these plans for retirement however...only 13 years to go (If I get made redundant), 18 if not!

Morning. Just after some advice / recommendations. We've hired a motorhome next August for 3 weeks to visit France with the kids (3,3,9,11). Our rough plan is to head calais, then east to lake annecy, then move onto the south of France and maybe Barcelona, then back home! Our plan really is as vague as that, at the minute.

I'm looking for inspiration as to where to visit, any great towns or cities to see that maybe have good sites near. I'm happy to pay for sites as opposed to free Aires.

Cheers

What’s the budget for diesel your expecting ?
Assume these are not great on fuel, £500 plus ?

As I generally haven’t a pot to piss in and have zero savings, I recon this, although likley a sound financial way of doing it, is in no way possible.

I do have these plans for retirement however...only 13 years to go (If I get made redundant), 18 if not!
I'll be working till I'm 70 me :neutral:

What’s the budget for diesel your expecting ?
Assume these are not great on fuel, £500 plus ?
I think I spent over a grand on diesel to Benicassim and back.

We did head off the motorways and went to supermarkets to save money. Otherwise it'd have been 20% more

Sounds like a class holiday and I would love to do it ...... The girlfriends (no) grandparents went all over Europe earlier on this year and the picture looked amazing ..... They literally just disappear most weekends all over the country .... Would hate to be stuck behind them though ive been in a car with them and that's bad enough they wear leather driving gloves for gods sake

Just go for it mate, I'd wanted to for ages so just went for it
Always wanted to do the full summer touring. This next year, depending on contract renewal and health of an aging parent, I might just pack in, buy a 2k caravan and start in South of Spain come April. Move up through Europe as summer gets hotter and crack down south to maybe sicily ending in October. Scrap the van or sell it cheap at the end save dragging it back.

Morning. Just after some advice / recommendations. We've hired a motorhome next August for 3 weeks to visit France with the kids (3,3,9,11). Our rough plan is to head calais, then east to lake annecy, then move onto the south of France and maybe Barcelona, then back home! Our plan really is as vague as that, at the minute.

I'm looking for inspiration as to where to visit, any great towns or cities to see that maybe have good sites near. I'm happy to pay for sites as opposed to free Aires.

Cheers
Well mate France is massive, you need to decide if you are going to do the motorways or going to go scenic or a bit of both, you should have no problems finding camping sites most towns have municipal camp sites run by the local Marie,they are cheap and have electric hook up and cater for kids. You should check the cost of tolls, motorway diesel is expensive compared with the supermarkets ie Inter marche,/auchan...shopping wise Aldi and Lidl like here are springing up everyway and are cheaper than internarche etc.
I am more familiar with traveling down the west , through Rouen and then down the A 28 down to Poitiers,...it takes 7 hrs by car we then head off to L'isle jourdain....lovely campsite there and at Moussac Sur la Vienne, or Queaux....from there you could head south through the Dordogne down to Bordeaux and then over the Pyrenees.
It's worth getting a sat nav as it will tell you where the speed cameras are..was reading the French have since January 2019 sent out over 240,000 speeding to UK motorists at 45 euros...four of them my Mrs got....not sure if DVLA will share our details after Brexit...any way have fun and hope it goes well

Well mate France is massive, you need to decide if you are going to do the motorways or going to go scenic or a bit of both, you should have no problems finding camping sites most towns have municipal camp sites run by the local Marie,they are cheap and have electric hook up and cater for kids. You should check the cost of tolls, motorway diesel is expensive compared with the supermarkets ie Inter marche,/auchan...shopping wise Aldi and Lidl like here are springing up everyway and are cheaper than internarche etc.
I am more familiar with traveling down the west , through Rouen and then down the A 28 down to Poitiers,...it takes 7 hrs by car we then head off to L'isle jourdain....lovely campsite there and at Moussac Sur la Vienne, or Queaux....from there you could head south through the Dordogne down to Bordeaux and then over the Pyrenees.
It's worth getting a sat nav as it will tell you where the speed cameras are..was reading the French have since January 2019 sent out over 240,000 speeding to UK motorists at 45 euros...four of them my Mrs got....not sure if DVLA will share our details after Brexit...any way have fun and hope it goes well
Cheers buddy, very useful info

Never camped but been all over it on a motorbike. Heading down the east is nice
Kind of Roman influences
Vienne Orange. Avignon is lovely .
Take your time and don't pass nice places in a hurry to get somewhere you think might be nice. Someone mentioned Andorra. That's a bit out of your way if you're heading to barca and not really that nice . Western France is lovely too

If you’re paying tolls, you’re doing it wrong.

Other than that you can’t go far wrong whichever route you choose. West coast as said previously for the beaches, central for rivers, vineyards, fields of sunflowers and lavender, east for mountains.

Have a rough plan but be prepared to wing it and play it by ear and you won’t go far wrong.

Sounds like a class holiday and I would love to do it ...... The girlfriends (no) grandparents went all over Europe earlier on this year and the picture looked amazing ..... They literally just disappear most weekends all over the country .... Would hate to be stuck behind them though ive been in a car with them and that's bad enough they wear leather driving gloves for gods sake

Well obviously he has to wear the gloves, or no-one would know he was there. I remember David McCallum as the invisible man. I 'm still amazed how they managed to get his clothes to walk about.

It'd be interesting to calculate how much they depreciate in value. Theres a place on the main road through Birtley that sells them. They may even hire them, not sure. Gone past a few times on my bike and stopped to look at the prices.Don't recall seeing any for less than £21k. Find out that models new price and work it out from the year. Probably get them a bit cheaper if you buy private. I would think any Diesel ones might be cheaper, given that they are being fazed out. Theres a few along our road. If you buy, then you need to stick it on your drive all year, or pay for storage.

Back