Motorhoming through France

Well that's absolute horse shit for starters.

Anyways... These are all really good campsites, you can plot your route by them.

Camping France in France - Les Castels

There's one of them at Calais (La Bien Assise) which is really good and they take single night bookings so it's dead handy for the first/last night. We've done it several times without booking anything else though, there's a really good Michelin guide to French campsites which makes it dead easy to drive as long as you want to and then just find somewhere on the hop. You can stay off the peage quite easily, but they're not that expensive and you can really eat the miles up on them.
Well you try driving 150 to 200 miles with under 5s, are we there yet every 10 miles, I will look back when DB comes home
Motorhomes are brilliant, we drove from Vancouver to Alaska
but without kids

Sounds great.
If your children like beaches consider the west coast route maybe.
South of France is very busy and the camp site pitches are smaller.
Roads are emptier and campsites more spacious in the west.
Dordogne area is scenic and gives a chance for water sports.
Biarritz, Henday and St Jean de Luz is your way into northern Spain and the Pyrenees.

Well you try driving 150 to 200 miles with under 5s, are we there yet every 10 miles, I will look back when DB comes home
but without kids
Done it loads mate, to be honest I don't even get why someone would post something so pathetic when the lad's already said he's paid for it. Each to their own I guess. We've driven all over Europe with our kids throughout their childhoods and they've loved it.

We drove our motorhome from here to Barcelona (and beyond) a few years back.

Didn't stop in France though, aside from a motorway services aire just shy of the border with Spain as I couldn't see properly anymore :lol:

Sounds great.
If your children like beaches consider the west coast route maybe.
South of France is very busy and the camp site pitches are smaller.
Roads are emptier and campsites more spacious in the west.
Dordogne area is scenic and gives a chance for water sports.
Biarritz, Henday and St Jean de Luz is your way into northern Spain and the Pyrenees.
Nice drive down through the loire and limousin too, orleans, limoge etc. St Jean pied de porte and lourdes just a bit inland

Last edited:
but without kids
Thing is, in a motorhome, the kids are strapped in at the back, with a table. So they'll be playing games, watching videos the whole way - somewhat isolatioed from the actual journey.

Morning. Just after some advice / recommendations. We've hired a motorhome next August for 3 weeks to visit France with the kids (3,3,9,11). Our rough plan is to head calais, then east to lake annecy, then move onto the south of France and maybe Barcelona, then back home! Our plan really is as vague as that, at the minute.

I'm looking for inspiration as to where to visit, any great towns or cities to see that maybe have good sites near. I'm happy to pay for sites as opposed to free Aires.

Cheers
Out of interest, what motorhome have you hired and where from? Cheers.

We drove our motorhome from here to Barcelona (and beyond) a few years back.

Didn't stop in France though, aside from a motorway services aire just shy of the border with Spain as I couldn't see properly anymore :lol:
Did well there, I got from St Jean de luz to Newport pagnall with toilet stops only, but it got foggy and started turning into fog dragons so I thought it best to pull over :eek:

Did well there, I got from St Jean de luz to Newport pagnall with toilet stops only, but it got foggy and started turning into fog dragons so I thought it best to pull over :eek:
Yeah, got the early ferry from Dover, and then just blasted through as fast as we could. It was about 2am when I gave up, I was seeing double and had to call it. Kipped till about 8 then cracked on again, I think we got to Tossa de Mar the next day, although I'm struggling to remember which we did on the way to Benicassim and which was on the way back. Wish we'd spent more time in TdM and Barcelona now though, Benicassim was shit.

Bear in mind that with a camper van or Motorhome, once you are on a site, and set out your awning and other stuff, you are then a bit tied if you want to visit somewhere else for the day. With larger motorhomes some take motorbikes and sometimes even tow a small car to do trips out from a campsite. But most common are pushbikes. Allows you to visit places local ish without packing all your stuff back into the camper, just to go to the shops in the next town. Transit type size would do me, maybe with an awning if poss.

Morning. Just after some advice / recommendations. We've hired a motorhome next August for 3 weeks to visit France with the kids (3,3,9,11). Our rough plan is to head calais, then east to lake annecy, then move onto the south of France and maybe Barcelona, then back home! Our plan really is as vague as that, at the minute.

I'm looking for inspiration as to where to visit, any great towns or cities to see that maybe have good sites near. I'm happy to pay for sites as opposed to free Aires.

Cheers
Annecy is one of the most beautiful places on Earth imo. Closely followed by the Alps. I drove to the west coast of France last summer but the drive itself was hardly relaxing!

Bear in mind that with a camper van or Motorhome, once you are on a site, and set out your awning and other stuff, you are then a bit tied if you want to visit somewhere else for the day. With larger motorhomes some take motorbikes and sometimes even tow a small car to do trips out from a campsite. But most common are pushbikes. Allows you to visit places local ish without packing all your stuff back into the camper, just to go to the shops in the next town. Transit type size would do me, maybe with an awning if poss.
Plus a lot of French villages have tight doglegs in them unsuitable for big units

Back