Motivation whilst being made redundant

Status
Not open for further replies.

This morning was the first time ever I felt like I couldn't cope with being in the office today and struggled like fuck out of bed to get to work.

Anyone been in a similar situation where you basically know your role is redundant and you're still expected to give 100% to deliver work which is basically nails in your own coffin? I've been given an estimated date of this time next year as when I'll be gone, and the whole office is the same meaning it's a glum office with the life draining out of everyone. Not only have I got to keep myself motivated but I've also got to try and motivate my team.

I'll get a decent package at the end of it having been with the company over 20 years , but the thought of that isn't helping...a year away until I can move on seems a hell of a long time away but no way am I giving up the package.

I have not had a pay rise for 3 years, and we are doing more now than ever, I'm in charge of a team and more, yes I will have a job in a year, but you say you will get a decent package and good at your job, you will get another one, just give 100% for a year mate.....

Been there done that.

I knew it was coming for about 2 years but was a case of when not if.

Wasn't going to jump when I knew a year's money was coming my way

Just did what I needed to do. Soon went.

It's happening where I am now but I'm just on 12 month fixed term till September so not really fussed but for some it's the end of the world.

They have it as cushy as anything here so it will be. A shock for many

This morning was the first time ever I felt like I couldn't cope with being in the office today and struggled like fuck out of bed to get to work.

Anyone been in a similar situation where you basically know your role is redundant and you're still expected to give 100% to deliver work which is basically nails in your own coffin? I've been given an estimated date of this time next year as when I'll be gone, and the whole office is the same meaning it's a glum office with the life draining out of everyone. Not only have I got to keep myself motivated but I've also got to try and motivate my team.

I'll get a decent package at the end of it having been with the company over 20 years , but the thought of that isn't helping...a year away until I can move on seems a hell of a long time away but no way am I giving up the package.
Many times - I worked short term contracts for 3-4 years at the start of the decade. Often I'd be told, with 2-3 months to go that there would be no extension. Depending on the situation and the people I worked for I sometimes still gave it everything for the final weeks, but more often than not eased off for the final 6 weeks or so - the sort of work I was in meant that there was no point starting something that would take 3-4 months to complete. One glorious occasion where I was working for a complete arsehole of a Programme Manager I was being released at the end of December. At the end of November he took all my work off me and told me to "prep for any interviews you might have". So, I started strolling around noon, working on my CV then waltzing out about 3pm. eventually he got pissed off and told me to either come in and do 8 hours or not bother coming in...... guess which one I chose? :lol:
My last 3 months at the Railways I was getting paid to play Football Manager for 6-8 hours a day. That was a good one

I sympathise mate, I'm one of those people who has to feel valued at a company, so i I'm ever told that I'm no longer needed I do struggle to give a fuck

Contracting now like, so every day is money in the bank so it's a whole new ball game!

Many times - I worked short term contracts for 3-4 years at the start of the decade. Often I'd be told, with 2-3 months to go that there would be no extension. Depending on the situation and the people I worked for I sometimes still gave it everything for the final weeks, but more often than not eased off for the final 6 weeks or so - the sort of work I was in meant that there was no point starting something that would take 3-4 months to complete. One glorious occasion where I was working for a complete arsehole of a Programme Manager I was being released at the end of December. At the end of November he took all my work off me and told me to "prep for any interviews you might have". So, I started strolling around noon, working on my CV then waltzing out about 3pm. eventually he got pissed off and told me to either come in and do 8 hours or not bother coming in...... guess which one I chose? :lol:
My last 3 months at the Railways I was getting paid to play Football Manager for 6-8 hours a day. That was a good one

I sympathise mate, I'm one of those people who has to feel valued at a company, so i I'm ever told that I'm no longer needed I do struggle to give a fuck

Contracting now like, so every day is money in the bank so it's a whole new ball game!
Project management Contracting?

Someone I'd like to explore when I'm done and dusted here. You find roles are easy to come by?

That is a hell of a long notice period. I can't fathom how management expected they'd maintain motivation for that whole period of time so you'll probably find they expect a downturn in productivity and will either be sympathetic or complete bastards depending on what kind of company it is. Having said that, there are often circumstances - such as a relocation of premises etc., when people know that their days are numbered but haven't yet been given notice; often because larger organisations have 'displacement' processes where other opportunities may be open/possible given time.

My advise (derived from personal experience): At all times maintain personal dignity. Make it a project to spend the next months creating plans to ensure you make the best out of each day. Sounds simple; it isn't. There are loads of books and ways: But...

My personal recommendation is to get a book called 'Learned Optimism' by Martin Seligman. Don't skip or scan. Do it properly. It's not hard read but it's based on years of well-founded research and is the framework for a lot of content to do with emotional intelligence.

Other than that; seek a workplace coach - talk through things, make a simple, small steps plan. Deal with the simple things simply on a day by day basis. Don't set huge ambitious targets but chunk activity into smaller personal projects. Make YOU your job. USE the year to render yourself a f***ing awesome prospect, personally and professionally and impress people with your positivity, optimism, personal pride and DIGNITY

That is a hell of a long notice period. I can't fathom how management expected they'd maintain motivation for that whole period of time so you'll probably find they expect a downturn in productivity and will either be sympathetic or complete bastards depending on what kind of company it is. Having said that, there are often circumstances - such as a relocation of premises etc., when people know that their days are numbered but haven't yet been given notice; often because larger organisations have 'displacement' processes where other opportunities may be open/possible given time.

My advise (derived from personal experience): At all times maintain personal dignity. Make it a project to spend the next months creating plans to ensure you make the best out of each day. Sounds simple; it isn't. There are loads of books and ways: But...

My personal recommendation is to get a book called 'Learned Optimism' by Martin Seligman. Don't skip or scan. Do it properly. It's not hard read but it's based on years of well-founded research and is the framework for a lot of content to do with emotional intelligence.

Other than that; seek a workplace coach - talk through things, make a simple, small steps plan. Deal with the simple things simply on a day by day basis. Don't set huge ambitious targets but chunk activity into smaller personal projects. Make YOU your job. USE the year to render yourself a f***ing awesome prospect, personally and professionally and impress people with your positivity, optimism, personal pride and DIGNITY
Hi Martin

It's tough but what you should do is treat this as an opportunity.

As everyone else leaves or becomes disinterested offer to take on more responsibility and learn new skills. This way you'll position yourself for a promotion when you do look for your next job

Yes I did. I think they were glad to see the back of me as I was causing a bit of grief. It didn't last long while trying to job search and pay the mortgage etc etc as I'd been in a bit of a niche area. Another reason why I'm still bitter and twisted about it. :neutral:
Typical f***ing woman!!! ;):lol:

Set up a Limited Company and put the feelers out for a contract for when your times up.
Take your payout and enjoy life as a contractor.
No need to worry about the internal politics at your contract places of work - just turn up, do the job and rake the money in.
I took voluntary redundancy in 2011 to go contracting and it was the best decision I ever made.

Been in this position twice. I didn't burn bridges but did the bare minimum and spent a good chunk of my time job hunting.

The first time I found a new job elsewhere, the second I ended up keeping the one I was losing.

A year to plan your next move mate, chin up ;)

I'm currently at the tail end of a long redundancy notice period - finish up next Wednesday after 13 years here.
Last of the people in Europe to leave, pretty much everything below full director has been offshored to India and Argentina - unless your a yank in which case they 'created' new roles.

Got past the anger and bitterness, saw some good friends and colleagues move on as I kept the lights on (they had less time served so didn't see the point hanging it out) and now I'm just coasting along.
Funny thing is I, and a few of the people who will be left, can see the service collapsing daily and I do actually feel somewhat sorry for the people who'll be expected to try and keep the plates spinning with no backup, no real experience and the looming threat of outsourcing the whole shooting match to Tata Consulting. It's quite amusing to see lads in India panicking that their jobs might be outsourced, but at the same time, they just want to make a coin like the rest of us, it's some twat up the chain who'll never have to worry about making the rent who makes these decisions.

I'm currently at the tail end of a long redundancy notice period - finish up next Wednesday after 13 years here.
Last of the people in Europe to leave, pretty much everything below full director has been offshored to India and Argentina - unless your a yank in which case they 'created' new roles.

Got past the anger and bitterness, saw some good friends and colleagues move on as I kept the lights on (they had less time served so didn't see the point hanging it out) and now I'm just coasting along.
Funny thing is I, and a few of the people who will be left, can see the service collapsing daily and I do actually feel somewhat sorry for the people who'll be expected to try and keep the plates spinning with no backup, no real experience and the looming threat of outsourcing the whole shooting match to Tata Consulting. It's quite amusing to see lads in India panicking that their jobs might be outsourced, but at the same time, they just want to make a coin like the rest of us, it's some twat up the chain who'll never have to worry about making the rent who makes these decisions.
Exactly the same situation here, including the outsourcing company for our applications.

Service is taking a nosedive, yet the KPI's they have in place don't seem to backup what is actually happening in real life.

Sounds like one of those poncy job titles made up by someone whos just been given their notice. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back